Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.88s with 40s and 4:1 tcase

Been Around the Block Braxtonsag's Avatar

4.88s with 40s and 4:1 tcase

Before I get screamed at about how 5.38 is the correct ratio for 40s hear me out.

I bought my jeep with 3.21s and 29Ē tires and I really didnít mind the way it drove. It had plenty of power and got the job done. Fast forward a bit and I was eventually running 4.88s with 37s. I kind of despised how over geared the jeep felt and moving up to 38s was a breathe of fresh air although it still feels a bit over geared on the highway. Iíd like to move up to 40s and going by the infamous jk gear ratio chart I would STILL be overgeared compared to how my jeep came stock.

The only downfall to this is that I think with my sport tcase, 4 low wouldnít be ideal and I would need to source a rubi tcase. On the brighter side, Iíll have much more pinion to play with than on a 5.38 in my dana 44s. Iím fully aware dana 44s arenít the ideal axle for 40s but Iím more of an explorer rather than a hardcore rock crawler. They will suit me just fine.

Anyone have any input on this gear and tire combo? Should I stick to this plan or bump up to a 5.13? Probably going to be a matter of opinion but wanted some insight from you guys anyways.

Iíll attach the gearing chart and I have circled how my jeep came, where it is now, and where it will be after 40s.

3FAFA41A-C4C5-456B-9D3E-4814AFC88575.jpg

Sounds like youíre pretty confident 4.88s will be fine. Why not give it shot. You can always regear later.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two danford.lau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Braxtonsag View Post
    Before I get screamed at about how 5.38 is the correct ratio for 40s hear me out.

I bought my jeep with 3.21s and 29Ē tires and I really didnít mind the way it drove. It had plenty of power and got the job done. Fast forward a bit and I was eventually running 4.88s with 37s. I kind of despised how over geared the jeep felt and moving up to 38s was a breathe of fresh air although it still feels a bit over geared on the highway. Iíd like to move up to 40s and going by the infamous jk gear ratio chart I would STILL be overgeared compared to how my jeep came stock.

The only downfall to this is that I think with my sport tcase, 4 low wouldnít be ideal and I would need to source a rubi tcase. On the brighter side, Iíll have much more pinion to play with than on a 5.38 in my dana 44s. Iím fully aware dana 44s arenít the ideal axle for 40s but Iím more of an explorer rather than a hardcore rock crawler. They will suit me just fine.

Anyone have any input on this gear and tire combo? Should I stick to this plan or bump up to a 5.13? Probably going to be a matter of opinion but wanted some insight from you guys anyways.

Iíll attach the gearing chart and I have circled how my jeep came, where it is now, and where it will be after 40s.

3FAFA41A-C4C5-456B-9D3E-4814AFC88575.jpg
    Might be only person Iíve ever heard say 4.88 with 37s is over geared . Itís what I run and while itís fine .. certainly not over geared

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    Sounds like youíre pretty confident 4.88s will be fine. Why not give it shot. You can always regear later.

Yeah I guess it actually is that easy now that you put it that way 😂 nothing to really regret purchasing or doing
    Quote Originally Posted by danford.lau View Post
    Might be only person Iíve ever heard say 4.88 with 37s is over geared . Itís what I run and while itís fine .. certainly not over geared

Iv talked to a lot of guys on here and they all seem to agree with you lol. I donít know if itís just because Iím in indiana and itís ALOT of highway miles to get anywhere fun to explore or what, but I gained like 2mpg just switching from 37s to 38s. No way in hell Iíd go back to a 37 on these gears if I ever had to travel long distance again.

Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danford.lau View Post

Haha that was exactly my thought running 4.88s and 37s. Shoot I even have a Rubi 4:1 tcase and I wish I had 5.13s

Honestly OP I agree with above if you think your 4.88s and 38s works then try it with the 40s....why not worst comes to worst it will be a little gutless but it will still drive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    PR44, ARBs, 4.88s, 35 spline rear, Adams 1350 Front & Rear, Rubi T-case, Rubi sway bar + Evo no limits, Evo armor & skids, 37/13.50" Cooper STT Pro, Evo 2" plush / OME med duty springs

***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' F150

I personally love 5.38s and 37s. The 3.6 loves high rpms and runs hotter then most engines.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Not "living" but "loving" life always!

Quote Originally Posted by bkac View Post
    I personally love 5.38s and 37s. The 3.6 loves high rpms and runs hotter then most engines.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Omg lol I literally couldnít even imagine that combo

There's a reason no one runs 4:88's on 40's. Your Jeep will accelerate like a slug.
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

some people run 37s with 3.21s and donít mind, so maybe 40s with 4.88s will pass the test for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    There's a reason no one runs 4:88's on 40's. Your Jeep will accelerate like a slug.
    Do you think my jeep only weighing 4500 lbs would have anything to do with me being perfectly fine with 4.88s and 38s?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast