Thread: Rear seat outboard headrest removal how to

Rear seat outboard headrest removal how to

I love my Gladiator, but one of the things it isnít so great at is having high back child car seats in the back seat. The rear seat headrests protrude pretty far forward, pushing the child seats forward. They also make connecting the tether strap a challenge. I have three across car seats in my JT. The middle seat is not an issue as the center head rest is easily removed by pushing a button and pulling up. The outboard seats though require some minor work to remove, but overall itís very easy.

Attached are the Mopar directions for disassembly of the seat and head rests.

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Overall this took me maybe 10 minutes to remove the headrests and neatly put the seat back foam back in place and close the zippers back up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Last edited by highoctane; 12-10-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    2015 Anvil Rubicon Unlimited
    Evo Mfg Double Throwdown suspension w/Evo Lever
    Evo Mfg high clearance long arms
    Evo Mfg PR60 high steer w/PSC hydraulic assist
    Dynatrac ProRock XD60 front axle
    Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear axle
    ARB lockers & 5.38 gears
    JE Reel 1350 front/1410 rear driveshafts
    Evo Mfg rocker/corner armor/bumper
    17" ATX Slabs & 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Proud to be one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001 - 2010. Semper Fi

Good to know. I am planning to get a JT soon cause I hate putting car seats in my 2DR, have needs for a small truck, and have a 3rd on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitarmy View Post
    Good to know. I am planning to get a JT soon cause I hate putting car seats in my 2DR, have needs for a small truck, and have a 3rd on the way.

The JT is great with kids. I have three fwd facing Diono Radian seats in the back of my JT. My kids are 7, 4, and 2. They all fit great back there. Especially now that I have removed the outboard head rests. I'm 6'3" and my 4 year old son has plenty of room behind my seat.
    ARB lockers & 5.38 gears

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    The JT is great with kids. I have three fwd facing Diono Radian seats in the back of my JT. My kids are 7, 4, and 2. They all fit great back there. Especially now that I have removed the outboard head rests. I'm 6'3" and my 4 year old son has plenty of room behind my seat.
    Were you able to get the middle car seat in well with the way the buckles stick up through the seat bottom? We're still working on a solution for that. We're trying to find a car seat that actually will go between the buckles but no luck yet. We'll use buckle extenders if we have to.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Were you able to get the middle car seat in well with the way the buckles stick up through the seat bottom? We're still working on a solution for that. We're trying to find a car seat that actually will go between the buckles but no luck yet. We'll use buckle extenders if we have to.
    It was close, but the Diono Radian seats are marketed as a narrow seat that can fit three across. It's 17" or 17.5" wide, not sure which one. It fit. I put the passenger seat in first, then the center seat, then the driver side seat. I did't use any buckle extenders.
    ARB lockers & 5.38 gears

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    It was close, but the Diono Radian seats are marketed as a narrow seat that can fit three across. It's 17" or 17.5" wide, not sure which one. It fit. I put the passenger seat in first, then the center seat, then the driver side seat. I did't use any buckle extenders.
    I'll echo this. I regularly fit 3 kids in the back of my JK. It's tight and you'll bust your knuckles dealing withe the buckles if you have big hands but they all fit safely.

I've just been dealing with the headrest issue. I can still get the seats cinched down tight. But been meaning to look at how to get rid of them or fold them down.