02 TJ Steering has a click/hang

Trail Bud

Hooked
Just replaced intermediate and upper steering shafts, tie rods due to wear, and steering issue.
I had and still have a click that can hang the steering lightly in a sweeping turns left and right. It’s at 11-1 on the wheel. It can scare you.
I think it’s by the steering wheel but not sure. I took it to my shop in frustration, they replaced a small part( washer?) behind the wheel but it’s the same.
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since you replaced the tie-rod, check to see if your steering stabilizer is catching on anything when making a turn.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Do you have any aftermarket accessories under the dash? Remote start, stereo amp, etc. that could be rubbing up against it?

Still on the stock steering gear?

Is the click kind of plastic sounding? Could be clockspring binding

Trail Bud

Hooked
Do you have any aftermarket accessories under the dash? Remote start, stereo amp, etc. that could be rubbing up against it?

Still on the stock steering gear?

Is the click kind of plastic sounding? Could be clockspring binding

Nothing to rub under the dash.
Yes stock gear box
Yes click is plastic sounding/ binding.
Good idea, thank you.

Nothing to rub under the dash.
Yes stock gear box
Yes click is plastic sounding/ binding.
Good idea, thank you.

No prob, easy to test, takes about 10 minutes to pop off the airbag and take it out. Make sure the wheels are straight and tape the center piece when you take it out so it doesn’t accidentally get off center. Made that mistake once. Then you can take it for a drive and see.

Trail Bud

Hooked
No prob, easy to test, takes about 10 minutes to pop off the airbag and take it out. Make sure the wheels are straight and tape the center piece when you take it out so it doesn’t accidentally get off center. Made that mistake once. Then you can take it for a drive and see.

Thanks

Trail Bud

Hooked
Follow up to steering issue.
It was the steering box. First replaced the intermediate and upper steering shafts and clicking and hang up was still there.
I felt like it was in the steering wheel. Anyway problem solved and the steering feels like new.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Follow up to steering issue.
It was the steering box. First replaced the intermediate and upper steering shafts and clicking and hang up was still there.
I felt like it was in the steering wheel. Anyway problem solved and the steering feels like new.

Worn out gear? Glad you were able to get it fixed and thanks for posting up what the problem was. :thumb:

Top Bottom