Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handheld CB radios... worth the money or just a waste of time?

Handheld CB radios... worth the money or just a waste of time?

Hey guys!

So my first trip is rapidly approaching with my new JL. I am obviously going to run a full CB setup, but I might not be in a position to get my setup ready before this trip with some other purchases i need to make.

My question to the masses is, what are yall's opinions on handheld CB radios? I've read some Amazon reviews but I wanted to hear from the guys I trust the most. Are these portable CB radios a comparable option to a full CB setup? Or are they complete crap and should I not even waste my time? What's the range like on them? And just overall quality. I would love to hear your input if you've ran one of these portable CBs.

Let me know what you think! All input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

61SaguzmGdL._SL1000_.jpg717XznaCIML._SL1500_.jpg

That handheld is $100. How is that a cheap temporary solution to $135 cobra?

The anytone radio Eddie did a write up on is $60. That would be a better temp solution than a handheld in my opinion. I have one and it works pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

We have 2 of those handheld Midland ones. They work great if you wire them with coax and a CB antenna. Without the coax, they are hit or miss in my experience and the range really sucks.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

If your group is small just get a blister pack of FRS radios from a sporting good store. They are cheap and the range is generally as good of better than CB for basic line of sight use on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have the Midland 75 in my tow rig. Itís okay. I havenít used it a whole lot, as most of the people I wheel with have switched to UHF radios. I will say that the 75 sucks with the handheld antenna. I run it with a magnetic mount k40 antenna.
    2006 Jeep TJ
    "The Banana Jeep"

Been Around the Block krdadlamb's Avatar

Handheld

We have the 75. The only time I ever use it is when we're with a group like at EJS or one of their Saturday runs. I've noticed that there's times I only get one side of the conversation. If I'm close to the front I'll only hear the leader, but not who they're talking to. Our small group always have our two ways on a sub channel, so I can talk to them if I'm missing something. I'd eventually like to get a built in unit, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Buy spare antennas if you get one. They work decent at best. For a few bucks more though and a couple hours you can have a real nice cobra wired up. Much louder, clearer and all around more user friendly.
    en hopup veritas

Handheld CB radios... worth the money or just a waste of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Hey guys!

So my first trip is rapidly approaching with my new JL. I am obviously going to run a full CB setup, but I might not be in a position to get my setup ready before this trip with some other purchases i need to make.

My question to the masses is, what are yall's opinions on handheld CB radios? I've read some Amazon reviews but I wanted to hear from the guys I trust the most. Are these portable CB radios a comparable option to a full CB setup? Or are they complete crap and should I not even waste my time? What's the range like on them? And just overall quality. I would love to hear your input if you've ran one of these portable CBs.

Let me know what you think! All input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

61SaguzmGdL._SL1000_.jpg717XznaCIML._SL1500_.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    That handheld is $100. How is that a cheap temporary solution to $135 cobra?

The anytone radio Eddie did a write up on is $60. That would be a better temp solution than a handheld in my opinion. I have one and it works pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    We have 2 of those handheld Midland ones. They work great if you wire them with coax and a CB antenna. Without the coax, they are hit or miss in my experience and the range really sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    If your group is small just get a blister pack of FRS radios from a sporting good store. They are cheap and the range is generally as good of better than CB for basic line of sight use on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaJeep View Post
    I have the Midland 75 in my tow rig. Itís okay. I havenít used it a whole lot, as most of the people I wheel with have switched to UHF radios. I will say that the 75 sucks with the handheld antenna. I run it with a magnetic mount k40 antenna.
    Quote Originally Posted by krdadlamb View Post
    We have the 75. The only time I ever use it is when we're with a group like at EJS or one of their Saturday runs. I've noticed that there's times I only get one side of the conversation. If I'm close to the front I'll only hear the leader, but not who they're talking to. Our small group always have our two ways on a sub channel, so I can talk to them if I'm missing something. I'd eventually like to get a built in unit, but just haven't gotten around to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HighwayTrout View Post
    Buy spare antennas if you get one. They work decent at best. For a few bucks more though and a couple hours you can have a real nice cobra wired up. Much louder, clearer and all around more user friendly.
    Thanks everyone for all your input. After hearing some of your input and experiences, Iím just going to go ahead and go with a full cb setup. Itíll cost a little more and require a little more for install, but I was gonna do one eventually in the long run, so Iíll go ahead and do that.

Thanks again everyone for the input! Now to find the best CB radio for the money! Any recommendations on that? Iíve usually just bought the cheapest one I could find. Kind of wanting to go a more quality route with my JL. Any input is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Thanks everyone for all your input. After hearing some of your input and experiences, Iím just going to go ahead and go with a full cb setup. Itíll cost a little more and require a little more for install, but I was gonna do one eventually in the long run, so Iíll go ahead and do that.

Thanks again everyone for the input! Now to find the best CB radio for the money! Any recommendations on that? Iíve usually just bought the cheapest one I could find. Kind of wanting to go a more quality route with my JL. Any input is appreciated!

Try here:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/51078-CB-Radios

Highly recommend the Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    Try here:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/51078-CB-Radios

Highly recommend the Cobra
    Thanks! I appreciate that link!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast