Handheld CB radios... worth the money or just a waste of time?

I guess I should update this thread! I ended up just spending the money and going for a full CB setup. I used Eddie’s CBBAR(fantastic by the way) and went with the Cobra 29LTD Classic!
View attachment 340952
View attachment 340953
View attachment 340954

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Does the mic cable bother you when driving? I feel like I'd be smacked in the face a lot when off roading.

I have my grandfather's 29LTD, but could never find a good spot for it in my JK.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Napalm

Does the mic cable bother you when driving? I feel like I'd be smacked in the face a lot when off roading.

I have my grandfather's 29LTD, but could never find a good spot for it in my JK.

Not particularly. I notice it’s there for sure, I mean it’s right in the face, but it doesn’t bother me!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

A simple hook fixes that problem permanently.

Peter Alfinito

Hand-held CB Radio

Has anyone purchased and used a hand-held CB radio while wheelin? I understand there may be some issues with the volume. What's your experience with these and what setup do you currently use?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Has anyone purchased and used a hand-held CB radio while wheelin? I understand there may be some issues with the volume. What's your experience with these and what setup do you currently use?

CBs suck. GMRS handhelds are great and reliable. They just work on a different frequency than the CB radios use.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I have Eddies bar with the Classic Cobra and it is great. Just my two cents, but only hand held radios I have found to be worth a shit are the Motorola's . I work in multi floor buildings often and they are only radios that work proper. Granted they are $$$. My set is over $600.00.

fiend

Caught the Bug
A radio is only good if it allows you to communicate with people you need to communicate with. If all your buddies are running CBs, a GMRS or HAM will be useless for you. And vice versa.

I think a lot of people get frustrated with CB quality because they don’t have it set up correctly. Bad ground, poor antenna placement, etc. If you set up a CB correctly, it will work great for its intended purpose: fairly short range, vehicle to vehicle communications.

That said, GMRS is definitely better than CB. Greater range, power, clarity, etc. If everyone you run with could be persuaded to go with GMRS, that’s the better option.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

A radio is only good if it allows you to communicate with people you need to communicate with. If all your buddies are running CBs, a GMRS or HAM will be useless for you. And vice versa.

I think a lot of people get frustrated with CB quality because they don’t have it set up correctly. Bad ground, poor antenna placement, etc. If you set up a CB correctly, it will work great for its intended purpose: fairly short range, vehicle to vehicle communications.

That said, GMRS is definitely better than CB. Greater range, power, clarity, etc. If everyone you run with could be persuaded to go with GMRS, that’s the better option.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

☝️This☝️

The best bet is one of each. CB is adequate, if set up right.
Hand held CB works OK at short range, with fresh batteries, and held so the antenna is vertical.

I find batteries will last about one run, and the ones I have hold 9. The second day on tye same batteries, no one can hear me anymore, though I can still hear them.

At least the GMRS have rechargeable batteries, but the standard ones won't last a full day wheeling. I upgraded to larger batteries that will last nearly two days.

JAGS

Hooked
My jk and now my JL are my dailies. So I never wanted a big cb box. Since my 2012 JK, I’ve been using the midland handheld and have been pretty happy with it. The caveat is that I did use the option of a coax to a firestik antenna which really helps with reception. I think this is the key vs the stubby handheld antenna.

Top Bottom