Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: RUGGED RIDGE Jeep JL Wrangler / JT Gladiator Truck AmFib SNORKEL

Fresh Catch
    What is the purpose of the ambient air duct? Is that an attempt to get some cool air into the intake? I had no idea that tube was there and in a relatively low position.

Quote Originally Posted by obsessedflapjack View Post
    What is the purpose of the ambient air duct? Is that an attempt to get some cool air into the intake? I had no idea that tube was there and in a relatively low position.
    I run the AEV Snorkel, Airaid cokd air intake and I have the Superchips traildash 2 on my JK. With the superchips I was able to actually monitor the intake air temperature, with the stock I was 157degrees no matter the ambient temp. Not to much of a decrease with the cold air intake but after I added the snorkel it is only about 15-20 degrees over the ambient when cruising down the highway. With the cooler temps I got a very slight increase in mileage and a slight increase in my acceleration. Not a significant increase but it was noticeable. I have prefilter on it as well so my airbox stays pretty clean as well. I got my snorkel mainly for a cool air source and not for the water fording.

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by SSRuger View Post
    I run the AEV Snorkel, Airaid cokd air intake and I have the Superchips traildash 2 on my JK. With the superchips I was able to actually monitor the intake air temperature, with the stock I was 157degrees no matter the ambient temp. Not to much of a decrease with the cold air intake but after I added the snorkel it is only about 15-20 degrees over the ambient when cruising down the highway. With the cooler temps I got a very slight increase in mileage and a slight increase in my acceleration. Not a significant increase but it was noticeable. I have prefilter on it as well so my airbox stays pretty clean as well. I got my snorkel mainly for a cool air source and not for the water fording.

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Does the JK have an ambient air duct similar to the JL? I'm coming from a TJ so never had any reason to get familiar with a JK.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    I like both but agree with the "if you are going to do it, do it" comment. The only think that make me go low is if it was the only way to run a Gravity Pro bar across the windshield. (Although I'm not sure you can run the bar with either set up.)
    You cannot. Fortunately, the setup is reversible if you decide in the future to change things up.

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    Have to agree with the low mount crowd. It looks sharp!
    It really does look good.

Quote Originally Posted by sipafz View Post
    I guess I don’t get the low mount option. Do you really gain anything more after sealing the small holes in the air box?
    What don't you get? And, no, in hindsight, I probably wouldn't have even bothered to plug them.

Yes, essentially, it takes in cold air when driving and directs it up toward the intake on the air box.

Quote Originally Posted by SSRuger View Post
    Nice that you were able to check this.

Does the JK have an ambient air duct similar to the JL? I'm coming from a TJ so never had any reason to get familiar with a JK.
    No, the JK does not.

Wish they made a low profile snorkel like this for the JKU. We do get some pretty heavy rain and flooding occasionally so the top of the hood would be nice. I don't really need one that goes to the roof line though. Looks like RR has a low profile for the JKU but it's not quite that low profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Primo82 View Post
    Wish they made a low profile snorkel like this for the JKU. We do get some pretty heavy rain and flooding occasionally so the top of the hood would be nice. I don't really need one that goes to the roof line though. Looks like RR has a low profile for the JKU but it's not quite that low profile.
    It's a lot harder to install on a JK as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    It's a lot harder to install on a JK as well.
    Good to know if I ever go down that route. I think if there's a potential I'll hydrolock my engine I'll just stay home that day!

Nicely engineered product. I like it better than their JK version, parts of which are lower than the stock air intake. Also, it travels next to the exhaust manifold, which probably defeats any cooler air benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    What don't you get? And, no, in hindsight, I probably wouldn't have even bothered to plug them.
    Forgive me as I didn’t ask my question very well.

I rewatched the install video and I must of been distracted during the whole removal of the air box and ambient air duct. I didn’t realize that the air intake was so low as compared to the JK. Now I see that the low mount option moves the air intake up a lot and agree that it look really good on your truck. Again, sorry for the confusing question!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast