1952 m100 Jeep Trailer build

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I picked up a 1952 M100 Jeep trailer a few weekends ago and decided to make a thread devoted to converting it to an overlanding/camping trailer. Overall thing is in pretty good shape despite it’s age. My plan is to turn it into a camping rig for now ( I hate packing and unpacking the Jeep every time we go out). I’m going to try and retain some of the original styling but also make some updates.

Here’s a shot of it when I picked it up. The giant pintel hook is pretty neat.

IMG_4987.jpg

On the way home. I need to get a proper pintel style hitch to correct the trailer nosedive:

IMG_4988.jpg

Pic showing leaf springs and shocks (they appear original to me)

IMG_4992.jpg

Cool Tail light:

IMG_4999.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
A few more shots of some neat features, like the ID plates:

IMG_5037.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_5039.jpg

Spent some time yesterday stripping things off the trailer in preparation for sandblasting. Overall, things were in pretty good shape considering how old this is and who knows what it’s been used for.

Tires and fenders off:

IMG_5025.jpg

Axle removed and washed up a little:

IMG_5029.jpg

Someone at some point thought it’d be a good idea to add in a 1.5 inch homemade body lift. Man, they did probably the shittiest welding I have ever seen. Not sure what I’m going to do about the 1.5” tubing but I’ll likely just leave it in and grind all the ugliness off and have proper welds put in. With the fenders and tires on you don’t notice it so much. It does give the trailer a little more clearance.

IMG_5019.jpg

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Thanks. The tub is in good shape with a few minor dents here and there. If you rock it back and forth, it feels quite stout structurally speaking. The deck of the tub is in tact but it has a lot of rust and someone drilled a number of holes in it. There are several coats of paint on this thing so I'll know more in terms of rust and body condition when I get it back from the sandblasting.

60745570851__56C32230-C1EC-43F5-A30C-D6116B8ED1D8.jpg

Last edited:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Great project, can’t wait to see where it goes

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Really cool project will follow [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE

Thanks. I’m a noob at restoring stuff but I’ve got a couple of good people to help. My budget for this build is pretty small so it’s not going to be elaborate by any means but I think it’s going to turn out pretty cool.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
More work done yesterday. Took off all the electrical, parking brake mechanism, and a few other odds and ends. Turned the tub over and whoa....say hello to a hell of a lot grease and northern New Mexico soil:

IMG_5065.jpg

Bad news: found a crack in the side rail frame hidden underneath shock mount, hence the weird angle iron reinforcement that someone tried to do with quite possibly some of the ugliest welds I've seen. It works but it's ugly as hell and the more I look at it, the more it bugs me. New plan is to replace the side rails with some square tubing, it's only $$$ right?

This morning, we loaded her up and she's going to the sandblaster. Now we'll see just how much money I'm really going to need to spend, once all the layers come off, lol.

IMG_5069.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yup, blasting uncovers all its dirty little secrets. Hope it’s in solid shape.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Update to the trailer build

Sandblasting done. Got my first look at it today. Not too many secrets revealed, pretty good shape overall. It looks really strange with the paint completely stripped off. The floor of the trailer doesn't look as bad as I initially thought, leaning towards keeping it and just patching up a few areas. Next up is to have side rails fixed up and then primer and bedlining. More to come in the next few weeks.

sandblasted-tub1.jpg

sandblasted-tub2.jpg

sandblasted-rims.jpg

sandblasted-axle.jpg

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
That looks great for the age.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I’m trying to figure out what the best way to inexpensively get the holes in the tub filled in. To have a welder do it is probably gonna cost nearly half of what a new floor would be. Looking at DYI bed liner options too.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
There’s a couple companies that make replacement floor panels for these.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Chris1015

Really cool project! What a cool (and handy) trailer to have. Geneva isnt too far from where I'm from too. Wonder if they still have that manufacturing place in that area. I live close to a this old arsenal near Wilmington IL where they made bombs and weapons for WW2. Really, really cool place. Looking forward to the pics and restore.

Top Bottom