Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Reno/Tahoe area! (Former) Project-JK member since 2007

Hello from Reno/Tahoe area! (Former) Project-JK member since 2007

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, but I've been a Jeep guy ever since I got my first Jeep ('87 Cherokee) back in 1992. My previous Jeep was 2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited which I bought as brand new back when it first came out. I was one of the first members of Project-JK forum (with the same username): I was pretty active in that forum back then (around 2007~2010.) So, some of you might remember/recognize me.

I loved my JK; it was very reliable and took me, my wife and dog to many Jeep trails. We'd driven it for about 12 years (190,00 miles+.) Unfortunately, I totaled it last year (February, 2019.) The car in front of us suddenly skidded driving through snow/ice on I-80 near Truckee, CA and span off towards us. I avoided hitting the car, but I swerved to the side, driving over/hitting a snowbank and flipped the Jeep... sort of like the recent IIHS JL crash test but with about 50~55 mph (I guess it's still a Jeep thing... Haha!) As the results, I broke 5 ribs and punctured a lung. Though it was really painful, I was able to fully recover (be able to run trails, climbing) in 4 months or so. Luckily, my wife was all fine except some bruises from the seatbelt as the driver side hit the ground. Luckily, our dog wasn't in the Jeep.

We were going to buy a new JL or JT right after the accident, but since recovering from the accident, I've been traveling/guiding expeditions overseas climbing mountains including Kilimanjaro -- the highest peak in African continent -- in Tanzania and Aconcagua -- the highest peak outside of Himalaya/Karakoram ranges -- in the Andes on the border of Argentina and Chile. I just came back to the stateside in February, right before the globalwide lockdown from the Covid-19 pandemic.

Anyway, now that I'll be home here in Reno/Tahoe area for a while, I'm ready to get a new Jeep! I was originally interested in getting a JT Rubicon, but now I'm thinking of getting a JL Rubicon (2-door) since I'm also planning on getting a Challenger Hellcat Redeye. Actually, I'm originally from Tokyo, Japan (born and raised), but I love American cars... Jeeps and muscle cars in particular. Sure Japanese cars may be more reliable, but they are so boring! Haha!

My wife and I moved from Seattle to Reno about a year and half ago as it was getting too crowded there. We haven't been able to check out many Jeep trails around here as we lost our JK soon after moving here. So, hopefully we'll be able to join some of you to hit some trails after getting our Jeep.

P.S. If you know any good Jeep/Dodge dealers around Reno, NV, please let me know!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moun10eer; 05-20-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moun10eer View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm new here, but I've been a Jeep guy ever since I got my first Jeep ('87 Cherokee) back in 1992. My previous Jeep was 2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited which I bought as brand new back when it first came out. I was one of the first members of Project-JK forum (with the same username): I was pretty active in that forum back then (around 2007~2010.) So, some of you might remember/recognize me.

I loved my JK; it was very reliable and took me, my wife and dog to many Jeep trails. We'd driven it for about 12 years (190,00 miles+.) Unfortunately, I totaled it last year (February, 2019.) The car in front of us suddenly skidded driving through snow/ice on I-80 near Truckee, CA and span off towards us. I avoided hitting the car, but I swerved to the side, driving over/hitting a snowbank and flipped the Jeep... sort of like the recent IIHS JL crash test but with about 50~55 mph (I guess it's still a Jeep thing... Haha!) As the results, I broke 5 ribs and punctured a lung. Though it was really painful, I was able to fully recover (be able to run trails, climbing) in 4 months or so. Luckily, my wife was all fine except some bruises from the seatbelt as the driver side hit the ground. Luckily, our dog wasn't in the Jeep.

We were going to buy a new JL or JT right after the accident, but since recovering from the accident, I've been traveling/guiding expeditions overseas climbing mountains including Kilimanjaro -- the highest peak in African continent -- in Tanzania and Aconcagua -- the highest peak outside of Himalaya/Karakoram ranges -- in the Andes on the border of Argentina and Chile. I just came back to the stateside in February, right before the globalwide lockdown from the Covid-19 pandemic.

Anyway, now that I'll be home here in Reno/Tahoe area for a while, I'm ready to get a new Jeep! I was originally interested in getting a JT Rubicon, but now I'm thinking of getting a JL Rubicon (2-door) since I'm also planning on getting a Challenger Hellcat Redeye. Actually, I'm originally from Tokyo, Japan (born and raised), but I love American cars... Jeeps and muscle cars in particular. Sure Japanese cars may be more reliable, but they are so boring! Haha!

My wife and I moved from Seattle to Reno about a year and half ago as it was getting too crowded there. We haven't been able to check out many Jeep trails around here as we lost our JK soon after moving here. So, hopefully we'll be able to join some of you to hit some trails after getting our Jeep.

P.S. If you know any good Jeep/Dodge dealers around Reno, NV, please let me know!
    Welcome to Wayalife.

We've also got a hiking/mountaineering thread here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...to-Traditional

Would love to see some of your pictures.
    "When the government fears the people, there is Liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Welcome to Wayalife! From N. Michigan

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Welcome to Wayalife

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Welcome to WAL

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Welcome from Detroit

You’ve lived an adventuresome life!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Thank you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Welcome to Wayalife.

We've also got a hiking/mountaineering thread here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...to-Traditional

Would love to see some of your pictures.

Thank you for the link, WJCO! I've posted some photos there.

Welcome from SoCal

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Welcome to Wayalife!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast