Evo Rear Bolt-On Coilovers with Adjusters

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Has anyone installed the rear bolt-on kit with the adjusters? I’ve been working on this today and finally got to the point of bolting these things only to find the clickers hit the edge of the OEM mounting bracket around the upper shock post. I’ve switched coils around flipped, flopped, twisted and no matter what my clickers are hitting the bracket.

As best I can tell I either need to start trimming the OE bracket or use some stand-off bushings. I like the idea of not having to use bushings but I’m scared trimming the bracket is going to weaken things. Any advise or experience?

Attachments

• 0F511675-49BC-4F66-BA8C-1814EEF04749.jpeg
    0F511675-49BC-4F66-BA8C-1814EEF04749.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
It doesn’t look like it needs much more room. I would grind it out till it clears,shouldn’t be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

Is it possible that you need to swap them side to side, to get the adjuster pointing a different direction?

I'm shooting in the dark, but it's a thought.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Jeff tried that last night. No improvement.

It’s so thoughtful for him work work his way thru all these challenges before I start on mine [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Jeff tried that last night. No improvement.

It’s so thoughtful for him work work his way thru all these challenges before I start on mine [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

LMAO. You are very welcome Bill. I’m going to take another look today but I’m pretty close to saying screw it and marking the OEM bracket and playing with the grinder again. The more I think about it the less concern I have. Truth is the reinforcement bracket isn’t event in contact I. The areas I need to cut and there is plenty of steel left. What is the worst that happens?

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Do the directions state that you will need to cut or grind off metal to gain the needed clearance?

I’ve installed a few EVO products and even though the directions weren’t precisely step by step, they did tell me when I need to cut or grind off certain areas.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

KevinG

Caught the Bug
First time I have seen the compression adjuster on the bolt ins. I swapped my springs to a lighter upper last week and noticed I had a problem getting the upper mount in place till I had the bottom pointed at the rockstar. I just walked out to mine and there is plenty of clearance to above the res. I don't know if anyone near you at least has the original bolt ins but here's a pic if it helps. If you need measurements to compare to the new style I'm happy to help.

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0888 (1).jpg

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Do the directions state that you will need to cut or grind off metal to gain the needed clearance?

I’ve installed a few EVO products and even though the directions weren’t precisely step by step, they did tell me when I need to cut or grind off certain areas.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lol. These are Evo directions. No, zero guidance.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
First time I have seen the compression adjuster on the bolt ins. I swapped my springs to a lighter upper last week and noticed I had a problem getting the upper mount in place till I had the bottom pointed at the rockstar. I just walked out to mine and there is plenty of clearance to above the res. I don't know if anyone near you at least has the original bolt ins but here's a pic if it helps. If you need measurements to compare to the new style I'm happy to help.

View attachment 349282

View attachment 349283

Damn!!!! You have like a football field. I’m guessing it’s one of those it varies from Jeep to Jeep issues. Appreciate the pics as it really helps perspective.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Damn!!!! You have like a football field. I’m guessing it’s one of those it varies from Jeep to Jeep issues. Appreciate the pics as it really helps perspective.

Ha ha. Here's a shot of the passenger side for you. Pardon all of the dust. I have been meaning to clean out of there since we got back from Moab.
I bet if you "needed" to you could grind down a little from the lip around the original shock mount. Crazy that it would vary that much between Jeeps.
Have fun getting them set up! I just swapped in 150 lb upper so I could add some pre load. With the 200 lb upper the back was pretty high.

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I am just floored how much room you guys have. My passenger side definitely has more room than the drivers but both have the same general issue.

Ddays

Hooked
I am just floored how much room you guys have. My passenger side definitely has more room than the drivers but both have the same general issue.

IDK, looks like yours would have the same clearance if you weren't running the adjusters.

Top Bottom