Sport S max tow aftermarket lockers

kpig

Thought I would post my findings regarding aftermarket lockers for the Sport S with the max tow package wider axles.

The housings are the same as the Rubicon, but the centerline of the Rubicon locker is different from the open carrier of the max tow axle, making the axles different lengths. A call to Scott at ARB (thanks to Lisa Wade for the recommendation) confirmed that the ARB RD245 air locker will work on the max tow axles (front and rear).

The RD246 will work in either housing but would require Rubicon length 35 spline shafts. I guess if I ever get the urge to upgrade the shafts to 35 spline, maybe 60s would be more appropriate.

I'm happy to say that the lockers fit perfectly with the stock shafts and 5.13 gears. Now if only someone would make chromoly shafts for these unique length axles in the max tow housings.

Stay safe and healthy.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thanks for posting that up! I’m sure it will help someone down the line.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

Thanks for the info.

Long time no see.

How have you been? Haven't seen you since the Rubicon trip.

bastage

The housings are the same as the Rubicon, but the centerline of the Rubicon locker is different from the open carrier of the max tow axle, making the axles different lengths. A call to Scott at ARB (thanks to Lisa Wade for the recommendation) confirmed that the ARB RD245 air locker will work on the max tow axles (front and rear).

The RD246 will work in either housing but would require Rubicon length 35 spline shafts. I guess if I ever get the urge to upgrade the shafts to 35 spline, maybe 60s would be more appropriate.

I'm happy to say that the lockers fit perfectly with the stock shafts and 5.13 gears. Now if only someone would make chromoly shafts for these unique length axles in the max tow housings.

Stay safe and healthy.

So this was the most information I can find about adding lockers to the Max Tow. I was looking at doing 35 spline front & rear, knowing that Dutchman makes the rear in Rubicon Length & RCV makes the front's. Then I confirmed with RCV & they say that there 35 spline lockers wont work with ARB's. No other options I can find anywhere for 35 spline, but RCV does make one specific for the Max Tow so I guess thats ok.

I just now got off the phone with ARB & they said the Rubicon Axles would not work in the Max Tow housing with the RD246. And no 32 spline options available for the rear that I can find in this mythical Max Tow Length.

So stock axles appears to be all thats available for the Max Tow rear. Seems odd that we can get better for all the other models.

Edit: Got a call back from ARB & Scott knows his stuff.. Had him email me this.

Thanks for reaching out to us.

As you mentioned, there seems to be a great amount of confusion around about JT axle shafts. I’ll try to clarify.

All JT’s have M210 front and M220 rear axles. All are 32 spline, front (inner and outer) and rear. Front and rear differentials are interchangeable. JT Max Tow has the same track width as a Rubicon.

If you need to change out a Rubicon locker(JT or JL), front or rear, (to an Air Locker ��) and want to retain the 32 spline shafts, you would use our RD245 and the stock JT Max Tow axle shafts. The Rubicon shafts will not work. The factory electric locker uses a locking mechanism that forces the differential center pin to be moved towards the ring gear almost an inch. This means that (example- in the rear) the left side Rubicon shaft will be too short and the right side too long for either our Air Locker or a standard open or LSD Max Tow differential.

If you want to re-use your JT (non-Rubicon) 32 spline shafts (front or rear) and add an Air Locker you’ll use our RD245. This applies to Max Tow and non-Max Tow models.

For heavy duty 35 spline shafts, Rubicon or Non-Rubicon JTs, you’ll use our RD246 Air Locker and rear shafts from Dutchman and front shafts from RCV.

Z Automotive (631-533-3363), the company that builds the JL/JT Tazer, makes a harness that allows use of the factory Rubicon switches with our Air Locker.

I hope I’ve cleared up some of the questions.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

Scott
Regional Sales Manager
ARB USA

Last edited:

kpig

Scott is a wealth of knowledge. I ordered the RCV 32 spline shafts for the max tow packagebut they are several weeks out for production. Worth the wait though since I already installed the RD245. I wanted to build this new housing with ARB and RCV and EVO truss to see how it lasts. The small pinion of the 5.13 gears will likely be the weak link.
Eventually I will be going with 60s like my JK, but I had to test the waters with this new m210 and m220 housing. Hope you have success building what you want.

Top Bottom