Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Duty Axle Differential Cover Installation Write-Up

Caught the Bug
    Just followed this excellent write up and serviced the rear diff on my own for the first time. Worked flawlessly. Two questions if anyone can help;

1. Like a few of the folks above, the rear diff only took two quarts with the OEM cover. I assume this is because the fluid has not circulated, and after driving a bit, it will need the additional .375?

2. Did not like the way the excess "Right Stuff" that squeezed out around the edges looked. Cleaned it off gently with a blade before it completely hardened. Did I blow it? Will it effect the seal because I did not just leave the excess?

Been Around the Block Jeep Bro 08's Avatar
    I got a 08 w/ rubi locker & i bought valvoline with limited slip .Will that matter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep Bro 08 View Post
    I got a 08 w/ rubi locker & i bought valvoline with limited slip .Will that matter ?
    You only need friction modifier if you have a limited slip. That being said, it will not hurt your locker.

Lucas synthetic comes with friction mod?

That's what id buy usually but there was none

Fresh Catch
    registered to these forums just to express my gratitude for this tutorial. Thank you very much guys.

I hope I left my gears squeaky clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Subbed to this great write up!

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Instructions
    This is a pic of all the things you will get with a SOLID Dana 44 differential cover. Different covers will come with different bolts and even if yours comes with basic RTV, I would highly recommend that you use The Right Stuff by Permatex instead. Make sure that you have everything in the list above before you begin this project.
    Lol. Glad to see Eddie's been using this Right Stuff in can since 2013. I just used it for the first time a couple months ago and thought it was a new product. Absolutely love it, especially the pressurized can. I'll never go back to RTV in a tube.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Fresh Catch
    So, digging up this old topic….
    I just installed a SOLID cover on my rear D44 and made the mistake of filling it all the way to the fill hole like you do on factory covers – mostly out of habit. Took a quick spin to the store, came home with a mess. I obviously way over filled it with what I am guessing was 3+ quarts (it was hard to tell because I was pumping out of a gallon w/no sight).

Here is my dilemma: Factory spec calls for 2 quarts on a D44, however, the SOLID cover protrudes outward much further then the factory cover. When you put 2 quarts in a D44 with a SOLID cover, the gear oil level will not raise as high on the gears as it does with the factory cover. Is that an issue? I think yes and that it should be filled to the bottom of the tubes. It seems to be a fine line filling it up!

~Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dezdan View Post
    So, digging up this old topic….
    I just installed a SOLID cover on my rear D44 and made the mistake of filling it all the way to the fill hole like you do on factory covers – mostly out of habit. Took a quick spin to the store, came home with a mess. I obviously way over filled it with what I am guessing was 3+ quarts (it was hard to tell because I was pumping out of a gallon w/no sight).

Here is my dilemma: Factory spec calls for 2 quarts on a D44, however, the SOLID cover protrudes outward much further then the factory cover. When you put 2 quarts in a D44 with a SOLID cover, the gear oil level will not raise as high on the gears as it does with the factory cover. Is that an issue? I think yes and that it should be filled to the bottom of the tubes. It seems to be a fine line filling it up!

~Dan
    In spite of what you think you're seeing, the diff cover does NOT give you more fluid capacity. You want to just fill it up with the factory amount. If you have any doubts, use a zip tie as a dip stick to check the level. When you have the right amount in, the fluid should be sitting at just about the base of the axle tubes.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast