Smiley Rock Trail Run 5/18/2013

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Before heading back to California from our fun at the 2013 Overland Expo, we decided to do one last run up the Smiley Rock Trail which is located up near the old mining town of Jerome and, good portions of it are a part of the historic, Great Western Trail. Being that we've never run this trail before, we talked to a few locals about it ahead of time and unfortunately, must have gotten the information wrong as we ended up running it backwards. Starting on the south end of the trail, we found ourselves crawling our way down Martin Canyon instead of up it. But, for fun, we turned around at the bottom and ran a good portion of it back up as well before cutting out early and heading back home. Here are some pics from our trip, I hope you enjoy.

Morning of our trip, we found a miniature scale model of the USS Phoenix in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express...
main.php

Driving along the historic US 89A on our way to the south end of the trail...
main.php

Airing down at the trailhead...
main.php

Time to head on out...
main.php

Don't forget to close the gate...
main.php

Heading down into Martin Canyon...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Down in the creek bed and ready for some fun - hard to believe this is Arizona...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

The rock that gave this trail its name...
main.php

A cheek to cheek shot of Rubicat and Smiley Rock...
main.php

Shot of the fun ahead of us...
main.php

Time to move on out...
main.php

main.php

Out of Martin Canyon and a long drive ahead of us, we decided to call it a day and head for home...
main.php

I apologize for not meeting up with those we were supposed to meet up with and run this trail. Being our first time, we apparently got a few wires crossed. I do hope to come back someday soon and do it again only next time, the whole trail. I would also like to spend some more time in Jerome and at the Gold King Mine. Until then...

firecrew1

Well at least you got to run a portion of the trail, next time you come, we can show you the better entrance (north-south) :D

Top Bottom