Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: MAINTENANCE : Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

i have done this before and had no problems with the Rubicon. but now i am in a Sport with open differentials and unsure if there is limited slip in the gears. i have always used this in the past:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418265352.468374.jpg

can this be used in the 30/44 combo as well or should I be using a different kind of fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by M_Savage View Post
    i have done this before and had no problems with the Rubicon. but now i am in a Sport with open differentials and unsure if there is limited slip in the gears. i have always used this in the past:

can this be used in the 30/44 combo as well or should I be using a different kind of fluid?
    Adding friction modifier to an open diff won't hurt anything, so go for it. If you already have the fluid, use it. The exception would be that it could harm the seals in an ARB locker.

Fresh Catch
    Good info thanks for the write up just got 4.88s installed will need to Change out oils soon

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeJeep View Post
    Well, I gotta say....I was quoted for $500+ to change the fluids at a dealership service.....I was NOT happy with the possible bill.

So, then I did some research...a lot of people are saying they heard the same price tag too and some mentioned they did it themselves. I decided to do it after finding this write up. It was so easy!! Thank you for this write up!

Total savings....around $450 -- I see myself ordering more mods soon! :-)
    Holy crap I couldn't even imagine myself taking the jeep to a shop for that really hope people find threads like these and aren't suckered into that awful price tag. Swapping my oil out tomorrow just put the first 500 on these yukon 4.88's using mobile 1 too easy of work not to do yourself.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Great write up!

Just picked up my 2012 from the stealership after getting the left cylinder head replaced and they tell me that the dif and transfer case fluids need to be changed. Seems like they're trying to get some money out of me, but it's got almost 50k miles on the clock, so it's probably about time anyway. Glad I looked on here and saw how easy it was instead of giving them the $399 they wanted to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by DoYouEvenJeep View Post
    Great write up!

Just picked up my 2012 from the stealership after getting the left cylinder head replaced and they tell me that the dif and transfer case fluids need to be changed. Seems like they're trying to get some money out of me, but it's got almost 50k miles on the clock, so it's probably about time anyway. Glad I looked on here and saw how easy it was instead of giving them the $399 they wanted to do it...
    $400??

Yeah, please do yourself a favor and use my write-ups to help save yourself a TON of money.

Eddie

With your experience, does using synthetic make a difference even if your vehicle doesn't need it? I can't imagine it'll hurt the diff? Other than a higher cost, is there really a benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon310 View Post
    Eddie

With your experience, does using synthetic make a difference even if your vehicle doesn't need it? I can't imagine it'll hurt the diff? Other than a higher cost, is there really a benefit?

If you have a limited slip differential, using synth is a good idea as it will have the friction modifier in it that you'll need to make it work properly. If you have an ARB, synth will actually damage the o-ring inside and cause an internal air leak. It is best to use Dino for that. All other applications, synth isn't necessary and I don't think you'd see a difference.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
    WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    If you have a limited slip differential, using synth is a good idea as it will have the friction modifier in it that you'll need to make it work properly. If you have an ARB, synth will actually damage the o-ring inside and cause an internal air leak. It is best to use Dino for that. All other applications, synth isn't necessary and I don't think you'd see a difference.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
    WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs
    Great! Just wanted to double check. Great write up by the way.

Hooked
    Just completed the diif fluid change............thank you for the detailed write up, it made it super easy!
    2014 JKU Rubicon X

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast