Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: MAINTENANCE : Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

Fresh Catch

noise from front differential?

I changed the differential fluid in both axles this weekend. I've done this before but this was the first time taking the covers off. That RTV sealant was not fun to work with, I got it everywhere. Anyway, I seem to be noticing a slight hum from the front end when in 4WD. And I might be noticing some additional wheel scrub when turning. Any idea what's going on here, do I need to re-do the front diff?

Why didn’t you just pull the drain plugs instead of pulling covers?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    if it ain't broke!

Fresh Catch
    Last edited by Hoosier; 12-25-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Hey all looking for some advice here. I did a fluid change today both front and rear. Front looked good but rear had a metallic grey sludge around the drain magnet. I would say just about an ounce. Anyone ever see this before? First time change at 25k. Also really fine shavings. Stock gears from factory. Thanks in advance and thanks Eddie for the detailed write up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lojo View Post
    Hey all looking for some advice here. I did a fluid change today both front and rear. Front looked good but rear had a metallic grey sludge around the drain magnet. I would say just about an ounce. Anyone ever see this before? First time change at 25k. Also really fine shavings. Stock gears from factory. Thanks in advance and thanks Eddie for the detailed write up.

Eh, if it was that bad you probably would have taken a picture of it. It’s fine I’m sure.

RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by Lojo View Post

Sounds normal. Although your front gears are spinning all of the time, they're not really being 'driven' unless you are in 4wd. Normal to have darker fluid in the rear and a little metal sludge on the magnets is common.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Sounds normal. Although your front gears are spinning all of the time, they're not really being 'driven' unless you are in 4wd. Normal to have darker fluid in the rear and a little metal sludge on the magnets is common.
    Thanks first time doing diff’s so just wanted to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Eh, if it was that bad you probably would have taken a picture of it. It’s fine I’m sure.

Probably should have. No chunks just fine shavings. It seemed normal but the sludge puzzled me for a moment. Better safe then sorry. Thanks

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425