Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Tie Rod and 15" wheels

Knows a Thing or Two aaronstephen's Avatar

Aftermarket Tie Rod and 15" wheels

Does anyone have any experience with fitting an aftermarket tie rod with 15" wheels? Needing some help on figuring this one out. Thanks
    Always looking for the next adventure...

You have steel or aluminum wheels?? I believe the synergy tie rod fits with steel wheels

I have aluminum wheels

Been Around the Block
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the material with which the wheels are made has any effect on whether or not a tie rod will fit. Maybe the backspacing of the wheel has something to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by Briguy114 View Post
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the material with which the wheels are made has any effect on whether or not a tie rod will fit. Maybe the backspacing of the wheel has something to do with it
    I didn't think so. But I'm the one asking for the expertise. So I really have no idea.

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronstephen View Post
    I didn't think so. But I'm the one asking for the expertise. So I really have no idea.
    Yeah I certainly don't know what would make a tie rod fit or not, but just using common sense one would think that wheel material has no effect

Hopefully someone who has run 15" wheels has run into this and can chime in.

Banned

Alum has to be thicker

The same wheel with the same back spacing one in steel and the one with Aluminum will have slight differences with clearance issues do to the thickness of the material. Im not an expert with what the OP is asking but I have seen this happen before with Aluminium wheels
    Last edited by Army_Vet; 08-06-2013 at 08:47 PM.

I don't think so either when I did research on this tho most then people having problems with it hitting were the ones with aluminum wheels bet that's due to backspacing

The real problem lies in the size of the TRE that some aftermarket tie rods have. For instance, the Currie TRE's are massive, way beefier and stronger than a synergy or moog and you would definitely have issues with a 15" wheel whether it be steel or aluminum. You may have issues with the others as well but I can't say for sure. The type of metal used can make a difference as most aluminum wheels tend to be thicker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast