Dana 30 upgrade

Irish Pirate

So I have a stock 30 up front and stock 35 in the back. I am putting on 35" or 37" tires. I'm swapping the back out for Dana 44 with Arb air locker, 30 spline, and maybe 4.56 gears(?)

I'm not doing any crazy crawling. I'm not running Rubicon or Moab anytime soon. Mostly daily street driving but I will be hitting some mild trails.

One day the front will get upgraded. In the mean time I should be ok with the 30 up front, correct? Even with a 35 or 37 tire?

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
It is all in how you wheel. There are plenty of guys running those size tires on a Dana 30 with sleeves and gussets. I would not recommend locking it though.

seanb123

Being that you have tj with the low pinion it will be weaker than the jk high pinion that allows guys to run 35s. I think 37s are out of the question and I wouldn't run 35 if I was you without doing something like a ford 8.8 but it's your jeep do whatever you want

Jiffy05

The biggest tire I would run on a TJ with a dana 30 is a 35". That's what I have and I am just waiting for it to break.

herb04

I know you said you want to do it later but I have heard that a HP 30 out of an XJ is stouter then a LP 30 and it should bolt right up, but at that I wouldn't run more then a 35 on one. some one correct me if I'm wrong have a good one.

Irish Pirate

I know you said you want to do it later but I have heard that a HP 30 out of an XJ is stouter then a LP 30 and it should bolt right up, but at that I wouldn't run more then a 35 on one. some one correct me if I'm wrong have a good one.

I have not heard that. Definitely a good option. Thank you

Top Bottom