Looking for a dog

Jk909

View attachment 221294

Australian Shepard or German Shepard, they are my best friends now.

Two of the best breeds out there. Both are outstanding guard dogs yet extremely fun with family and friends. I saved a three month old German Shepard who is now 8 months old, she has become a nanny to my son. She literally will not take her eyes off of him. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473092533.062455.jpg

Eagle1911

Don't forget to check if your city or county has any restrictions. In my RV travels I have run across a couple of locations that would not allow my Blue Healer. Needless to say, I stayed elsewhere.

S_wall98

Thanks again guys for the pics and ideas. My wife found this girl and fell in love. We're not positive but think she's a corgi/retriever mixed with an Aussie.
Girls love her and our other dog tolerates her..so far so good!!

Attachments

• 1716213672.jpg
    1716213672.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 86

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks again guys for the pics and ideas. My wife found this girl and fell in love. We're not positive but think she's a corgi/retriever mixed with an Aussie.

She's a cutie! Getting along with the kids is the most important part. Good luck!

catahoula

Caught the Bug

Awesome! Cute puppy!

millsey

Labradoodle if shedding is a big deal, if you can handle a bit of hair I would definitly say a Mastiff. They are great family dogs, don't require a ton of exercise, and are great with kids.

blackrubi14

Two of the best breeds out there. Both are outstanding guard dogs yet extremely fun with family and friends. I saved a three month old German Shepard who is now 8 months old, she has become a nanny to my son. She literally will not take her eyes off of him. View attachment 221321

Wow! What a beautiful dog! And props to you for saving her! :beer:

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Best dogs I have had were mutts, lab mixes mostly, gotten from the local shelters. Don't think I would do it any other way anymore. One lab/newfoundland 95 lbs and can not seem to get enough affection, ever, great dog. One lab/german shepherd, awesome dog, had to leave him with the ex-wife. One lab/golden retriever, sweet dog, girlfriends were more broken up about loosing the dog than me.

I had a pure bread golden retriever when I was a kid, he only ever bit me when I deserved it, he got out one day and got in to some rat poison and died to early.

I "adopted" my dads yellow lab when he passed away, good dog but did not listen to commands but very sweet, my ex-wife just put him down a few months ago but he made it to 15 years.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
Raised my kids with dobermans, best nanny dogs ever. No one got near those kids and at the lake my dobies would swim with the kids and never leave their sides. But, shedding is an issue. You are severely limited to choices if you don't want to deal with hair, dogs either shed or they don't, The down side to no shedding is a lot of grooming. Big dogs need a lot of exercise, especially if you have small kids around, you don't want 80lbs of energy bursting out on small kids. If you don't feel you have the time to run a dog for an hour a day, pick something small that won't require a lot of extra time. Exhausted dogs don't chew things up, bark unnecessarily, or get hyper. I've owned Doberman's for 37 years, a high energy extremely intelligent breed. Because I am a lover of the outdoors, hiking my dogs everyday isn't a chore. And because my dogs run 3-4 miles daily, I've never had one that was hyper, chewed anything up ( not even a shoe) or barked too much. Dogs that have proper training & exercise are a joy to own. Do your due diligence in researching the breed that meets your expectations are requirements. Good luck!

Jeeper714

My vote is always for boxers! They are highly loyal and love anything/everything. I have a 7 yr old boxer and 14 yr old English bulldog/boxer mix!

Most young boxers are high energy but I got lucky with Maggie as she's a couch potato that doesn't shed much.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474141424.314774.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474141450.537978.jpg

GraniteCrystal

I love that the OP already made his choice, got a dog, and we're still discussing options, pros/cons, the validity of each breed, etc ;)

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I have a old, temperamental calico cat that's free to a good home. Or, it doesn't have to be that good.

Just kidding. I used to have German Shepherds. My last one was with my ex-wife and me when my daughters were born. Every little noise they made had him ready to protect them with his life. And he loved them more when they would throw his tennis balls for him to chase. Since moving back into the city and remarrying, with travel and our lifestyles, we just haven't had a dog in the house. The cat was the way to ease a blended family into living together. But cats get crazy to live with once they hit 10-12 years old.

Top Bottom