Looking for a dog

Journeyman

I've had an English bulldog. She was a sweet heart most of the time. Super high maintenance! Our French bulldog is awesome. Light shedder, loves being part of the family. Has never been a runner, but loves to play fetch and wrestle but can also sleep all day whenever possible or necessary. Bulldogs are rock stars! Everyone wants to pet your dog when your out and about. I've also heard of people stealing them. Not the kind of dog that you would tie up outside the coffee shop.
My next dog will be a small cattle dog.

holliewood61

We have basset hounds. They are absolutely great with our kids. Too damn lazy to be mean. They are very protective in a very passive way. If im in the room our male will find somewhere in the house to lay around. If my wife leaves the room he is laying in the room shes in. He used to sleep in my little girls floor, since our son came along he sleeps in the hall way between their rooms.

Attachments

• 1472957403618.jpg
    1472957403618.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 110

Remlap

Cattle dogs are great!

Ours is about 55lbs - protective, loyal, brave, smarter than most people. Plus they are soft as all hell kid cuddling (sometimes) frisbee catching machines.

They will sleep all day as long as you give them a good amount of play and exercise at least twice daily.

Might nip a bit though, careful with little kids I guess.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 113

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Great range of choices.....all great breeds. I have had a Lab in the house (3) for the past 25 yrs and my sons have grown up with them. Shedding can be an issue. Our third Lab passed in late June and a couple of weeks ago we got a Labradodle who is turning out to be a great fit. Very smart and affectionate and steep learning curve.....went this way due to retirement next spring and looking to travel in RV and the limited shedding played a role in the decision as well as size...likely to top out 40 to 50 lbs. Good luck with your search.

scull20

Not sure if this was covered, but...how old are you looking? New puppies (8 weeks to 3 months) require nearly constant attention. Where older puppies, say in the 6 month range will require a bit less.

...my fiancé is a teacher, so we've planned getting both of our dogs over the summer, when she's off, and it's worked out very well. Otherwise, having a new puppy would be very difficult while we are both gone during the day.

As far as breeds go...I've had a handful of Golden Retrievers, great family dogs...but be careful with the breeding lines. Handling the shedding is a full-time job though.

We also just got a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. He's a nutcase, and seems to fit in very well with our golden. A bit nippy, at first, but he's gotten better.

Some family friends have English Springer Spaniels. Another awesome family breed, great temperament and personalities. Smaller than a golden, but just as much shedding.

A.J.

Cattle dogs are great!

Ours is about 55lbs - protective, loyal, brave, smarter than most people. Plus they are soft as all hell kid cuddling (sometimes) frisbee catching machines.

They will sleep all day as long as you give them a good amount of play and exercise at least twice daily.

Might nip a bit though, careful with little kids I guess.

Agreed on the healers. Had my red dog for 17yrs. MY best dog for sure. That said the blue nose Pit we have now is the best kids dog. Had several different breeds over the years and while they all have their own personalities it is all about how you raise them and socialize them. My dog list from childhood to now.... Black Lab, chocolate Lab, Rottweiler, Lasa apso, toy poodle, malamute, red healer, Safeway mutt, blue nose pitbull. They were all good dogs, but the healer is still my favorite.

Sinsitizen

I know it's not a big breed but I personally have a great love for beagles. They are low maintenance just keep them ears clean. They are stubborn and great with kids.

atrollip

We have two Italian greyhounds they absolutely love the kids and just about anyone. They don't she'd because they short haired. Both never had issues traveling in car, training is easy. But they are a small breed and not really a dog for protecting because they love everyone. Lol.

SilverBack

My family has started looking for a dog. We have 2 young daughters (4 and 2) and would like a larger (mainly) inside dog.
Here's the short wish list:
-kid friendly is a must (who knows what they'll do to this poor guy)
-fairly low maintenance
-controlled shedding (don't want everyone to know I have a dog by looking at my clothes)

Those are the biggies. A boxer would be perfect if it wasn't for the shedding (but I'm hoping someone can tell me otherwise)

Check out the Vizsla. Needs exercise but a great dog! Wouldn't trade ours for anything! Oh and the tail if not cropped is the most dangerous part of a Vizsla! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472983092.699826.jpg

Last edited:
I got a Boston terrier, great dog. I kind of think of him as a miniboxer. I always keep water around when I off-road with him because they don't do well in extreme heat. He does shed a little but nothing compared to my parent's boxer. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472994389.131035.jpg

Draconianwinter

Best dog I ever owned was a mix between timber wolf and siberian. Very protective of the owner. But for small children I would say look into a rottweiler. They are playful and protective with not to bad shedding. And most that have dealt with were great with kids. But I think that how they deal with kids has a lot to do with how they are raised. But I have also seen pit bull dogs that were great with kids. So pretty much most things depends on who owned them and how they were raised. As far as the pit bull I would not advise one with small children unless you got one from a puppy and raised it with the children.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Just a little $.02 here from experience with young children and dogs.....my first Lab was trained before the boys arrived. The second while they were 10 and 7 and third during teen years. We took all three to training classes (because they train the owner to be consistent) and brought the boys along to learn also.....saved me a great deal of grief and the boys learned how to handle a dog properly.

Not saying it is necessary but in my case it had value

lidless07X

The American Bulldog is an awesome breed.
Strong, obedient, and fearless. They are full of personality, love to play and usually gravitate towards the woman of the household.

The mere look of them will strike fear into most people making them a natural protector.

The Collie is often overlooked but is a wonderful animal for children. They're a working dog who's whole job is to protect the children of the house. They really are like Lassie.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Our Rhodesian ridge back lab mix is amazing.
1473031881091.jpg
1473031893166.jpg

But I got to warn you... Look Out for those spiders...
1473031920032.jpg

jcslax17

Having 5 boxers at home currently i can say they more than make up for the shedding haha. They're great dogs and love kids and other dogs. Growing up I always had boxers, a Rottweiler, and German Shepard thrown in the mix. Yeah they do have a lot of energy but it's nothing that's unmanageable, but having more than one helps out a lot as they keep each other entertained. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473041075.219444.jpg

Greenmachine14

Our Boston/French Bulldog mix is awesome he is super friendly and is always by my side. He gets super excited when we ask if he wants to ride in the jeep.

Attachments

• 1473046400970.jpg
    1473046400970.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 1473046529426.jpg
    1473046529426.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 73
Top Bottom