The Building of the Banana Jeep

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Very nice comma I will see if I can convince the wife to go up next weekend! Especially since it's going to be a long one!

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Heck yeah! I have some stuff to do in Omaha on Saturday, so I won't be down until Saturday night. We are staying at the Fancy Creek campground just outside the park. You're more than welcome to pitch a tent and hangout if you want. We usually sit around the fire and bs most of the evening lol. We are going to wheel all day Sunday and drive home Monday sometime.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Had some fun on Saturday. Made a really impromptu run offroading. Wasn't going to go, ended up going, ended up not going again... and at the last minute I changed my mind. Glad I did. Trails were SUPER sloppy and muddy but still had boat loads of fun. Got hung up in the rock garden a few times and had to pull cable. Oh, the joys of wheeling on 31s :rolleyes2:

Posted up for lunch with my buddy, Jared.

The rock garden...

My "stuck selfie"

Whether I drive out or drag myself out... I'm getting out!! Lol

And it's always a good day when you end it with a sunset like this.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Another angle at the same spot. Didn't like the line but didn't really have any other options. My front diff was also on a rock, keeping my front tires off the ground. Ended up having a buddy winch me backwards with a snatch block to do an angled pull. It was an interesting recovery... and it went smooth.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Are these the 35's you mentioned a while ago? You mentioned new coils as well. If so this could mean less cable pulling. ;)

I actually ended up selling those coils. I'm so happy with my low center of gravity and how good my jeep flexes now, I don't want to change anything. I ended up going with 33s this time around... not sure if that's the right choice but until I get some new axles under there, that's what I felt comfortable going with. I have a new rear axle, just need to figure out what I want to do in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I actually ended up selling those coils. I'm so happy with my low center of gravity and how good my jeep flexes now, I don't want to change anything. I ended up going with 33s this time around... not sure if that's the right choice but until I get some new axles under there, that's what I felt comfortable going with. I have a new rear axle, just need to figure out what I want to do in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gotcha! 33's should be quite a noticeable difference on the trail. I had 35's on a TJ and it did feel too tall for anything but street use. On my old YJ I had 35's but dropped to 33's after too many stock axle repairs and it actually wheeled better and more controlled. The only reason I am on big tires now is the JK is so wide it feels really stable being taller. Plus I think 33's are a good size proportionate to a TJ's dimensions and if it needs slight clearance, you can always do a small spacer but with those new flares you might be ok. Looking forward to pics, tires are fun!

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Gotcha! 33's should be quite a noticeable difference on the trail. I had 35's on a TJ and it did feel too tall for anything but street use. On my old YJ I had 35's but dropped to 33's after too many stock axle repairs and it actually wheeled better and more controlled. The only reason I am on big tires now is the JK is so wide it feels really stable being taller. Plus I think 33's are a good size proportionate to a TJ's dimensions and if it needs slight clearance, you can always do a small spacer but with those new flares you might be ok. Looking forward to pics, tires are fun!

Exactly. I have ridden in TJs on 35s and while they look awesome on the road, the wheelbase is too short IMO off-road. Plus, I'm trying to stay as low and as light as possible. I think the new flares will clear 33s just fine. The fronts will for sure, the rears... ehh maybe. If they don't, I'll get the sawzall out and start cutting :)

Top Bottom