Tie Rod or Driveshaft?

resqman911

So I have enough cash saved up to replace either my front driveshaft or tie rod. Both are still working on the jeep but both are on the upgrade list, which should I do first?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

So I have enough cash saved up to replace either my front driveshaft or tie rod. Both are still working on the jeep but both are on the upgrade list, which should I do first?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

How's the boot looking on the driveshaft?
If it is still good to go, then I'd probably consider the tie rod as I've had more issues with it than I have driveshafts.
If the boot is fried, then i'd probably look at going the other way.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hands down driveshaft. The stock tie rod is decent. If you bend it it's easy to unbend

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have enough cash saved up to replace either my front driveshaft or tie rod. Both are still working on the jeep but both are on the upgrade list, which should I do first

Are either actually damaged and in need of replacing? Or, do you just have money burning a hole in your pocket and are in need of spending it?

resqman911

Neither are technically "Broken" my TRE are worn and have a little play in them, and the driveshaft is fine right now, just trying to upgrade known weak point before they fail on the trail.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Neither are technically "Broken" my TRE are worn and have a little play in them, and the driveshaft is fine right now, just trying to upgrade known weak point before they fail on the trail.

Well, I see that you have a JKU and only 2.5" of lift. If you haven't torn your front slip shaft boot already, you probably won't due to the length of your shocks. In other words, your factory drive shafts are fine and more than likely will continue to hold up just fine. That being said, a little play in a TRE is no big deal and totally normal unless you're feeling "shifting" side to side or up and down. If not, it's fine.

With all that said, your tie rod is a prime candidate for a good beating on the trail and if you're determined to spend some money, I might recommend that you replace it based on what I know about your Jeep. Of course, if it were me, I would probably continue to save your money and spend it on something you'll actually need down the line - whatever that might be. But then, that's just me.

Top Bottom