Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesWyatt View Post
    I'd be disappointed to not get a diesel option but not surprised given the VW fiasco. I was fine with the current engine until I moved to New Mexico, and now I feel the need for more torque. It's annoying to have the trans kick down and scream at high RPM just to keep up interstate speeds between ABQ and Santa Fe. The TDI Touareg I had for a while (don't judge) would not break a sweat at altitude no matter the load. Same with my wife's BWM with a little twin turbo - pulls like a mofo uphill loaded down so heavy it almost wasn't safe. Seems to pull hard and doesn't lag like the VW turbos. If they could twin turbo the current Wrangler engine, I'd be all over that, but I will miss the extended tank rage a diesel would offer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Chrysler and mack are most probably going to produce a twin turbo V6 to replace the aging hemi......will it EVER make it to the Wrangler? I doubt it but it could become a crate engine (2020).
    FCA probably delayed the Wrangler because of the emissions pb with the Eco diesel but the future will tell whether or not it is released in the US.
    Just a 2.8 four banger diesel Jk Sahara with aev 2.5 dualsport xt lift and premium bumper and Cooper ST MAxx tires in 33"......

I think the diesel would have been the one option that I would have sold my JKU for. I have a friend that has a 1500 with the diesel and loves it. He can pull a camper and still get better MPG than my JKU. It is quite and efficient.

I wondered if Jeep would have needed to buff up the frame and axle housings to handle the weight and power of the diesel in the wrangler.

I have a 2017 Colorado 4x4 2.8L Turbo Diesel. I love this truck. I'm getting 26-27 mpg consistently. To get that kind of MPG is crazy on a 4X4 truck! People that own this truck are tell me after the break in period the mpg goes up to 28-29. So yes it would be disappointing if they dont put a diesel in the new JL. I wish this motor was in my JKUR.

Nothing but a Thing NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot94Z28 View Post
    I would be hesitant having a turbo motor out on the trails, I would think the heat soak would be crazy.

Diesels are actually designed to sit and idle for long periods.

Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    Diesels are actually designed to sit and idle for long periods.
    I was referring to gas motors, the turbo four cylinder in this case.

I have a Ram 1500 ED that is leveled and running 34" E rated tires. This is from my trip to the west coast last summer, I have a cap and the bed had a few hundred pounds of luggage, my Iced down Pelican cooler and an ever-growing amount of beers I collected across the country. I ran highways, lots of city roads, a lot of national park roads and even a semi rugged trail out to Point Sublime at the North rim of the Grand Canyon. I continually hand calculated the MPG per tank and it always remained within a few tenths, the trip computer on this trip was actually pessimistic most of the time. I am quite pleased with this truck. I need to note that I am tuned with a hot tune, I still have all emissions intact however the EGR is turned off. The JL would benefit greatly with this motor, if I ran more miles on my JK I would consider selling it and moving to the JL and starting a new build. Right now the plan is to add a sprintex to help it down the highway but thats another subject. I haven't checked in on whether they have released the 17 Ram EDs lately but I hope it does make it into the new Wrangler.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rock Krawler 3.5" X Factor Plus mid arm system, Bilstein 5100's, LOD bumpers and sliders
    18" AR Artillery ATX wheels with 35 12.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers

Jeep JL Wrangler 3.0L EcoDiesel May be Delayed or Nixed

Nice beer collection...that's definitely a good reason to drive a truck.

Unless a buyer makes the perfect offer between now and then, my 14 JKU will stick around until the moment I can lay my hands on a 4 door Truck (is it the JL-T or the JT?) with a diesel and manual. I can imagine I may have to sacrifice the manual to get a diesel, or the diesel to get a manual

Last edited by ichthus; 02-20-2017 at 05:07 AM.

Yes, be interesting to see if they offer the 6m with the ED. While I do enjoy rowing the gears in my jk the 8sp auto works really well in the truck. I would likely choose it over the 6m. Would love to get the jl with a bed but it's too small for my needs at the moment.

Rock Krawler 3.5" X Factor Plus mid arm system, Bilstein 5100's, LOD bumpers and sliders
    18" AR Artillery ATX wheels with 35 12.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers