Help Diagnosing vibration

Resqnu

I purchased a new 2017 JKUR HR. I had the dealer install a Mopar 2” lift with AEV GEO brackets, 17x9 Fuel Boost Wheels and 35x12.50x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers with 100 miles on the Jeep. The Jeep drove smooth as butter, soft but firm suspension. At about 4800 miles I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel that would come and go. The only thing I did to the jeep around that time frame was install a Warn Zeon 10-s and maximus-3 plate. Took the Jeep to my last dealer last week at 5000 miles to have oil changed, all 5 tires rotated and re balance tires. I also told them about the slight vibration.

Upon leaving the dealership, I noticed more vibration than before. Took it back and advised about the vibration. They road forced balanced my wheels/tires and was told by the mechanic that he didn’t have to use any weights. Says he rarely sees that, but wheels and tires balanced perfectly without weights. He and the lead mechanic test drove and still felt a little vibration. Then they put a set of new take offs (Rubicons) on and said they felt the same vibration. Said they wanted to check the TOE to see if the edges of the tires could be causing the slight vibration. They thought if the toe was out a little the edges of the tires could be catching the grooves in the road. They put the Jeep on the alignment machine to check everything and dialed the toe in closer, even though it was in specs. I will attach my alignment sheet for your review. They told me to drive it and let them know if that fixes the vibration.

I took the Jeep out of town the next day and have noticed that between 45-55 the Steering wheel has a vibration/shimmy, worst than before. Would like some help diagnosing the issue causing vibration. Obviously, my brand new rear tire has be thrown in the mix since this is my first time rotating the tires. I haven’t added anything to the suspension other than the stock Mopar 2” lift with drive shaft and wheels/tires. I haven’t been off the pavement yet or hit any big bumps.

Took the Jeep back to the dealer today. Told them about the vibration/shimmy in the steering wheel between 45-55mph. I showed them a video of it. They seem to think I need a stronger steering stabilizer with the bigger heavy Nitto tires. The mechanic mentioned the tires are giving off a frequency at those speeds causing the vibration.

I spoke with the mechanic that checked it today and he was the same one that did my service last week. I had them check the Driveshaft and check torque on the bolts. All lift bolts were checked as well. The driveshaft was greased last week during my oil change service.
He checked my front and rear axles for centering. The front is out of stock specs by less than 1/8 inch. Told me a new track bar was not needed.
They did move my from lower arms to the AEV brackets middle holes. My caster numbers are:
Hole #1 Left 3.6 Right 3.9 Before
Hole #2 Left 5.3 Right 5.5 Currently

Driving home the vibration is still there between 45-55, but maybe slightly better. Still need attention. The HWY steering seems a little stiffer, but wasn't bad to be in the geo hole #1.
Is a HD trackbar needed with this lift and/or a HD steering stabilizer?
Any ideas?

WJCO

Meme King
Vibration will not be caused by caster, steering stabilizer, alignment, nor axle location related to track bar.

If it's in the steering wheel, it sound like a tire issue. Have you tried rotating tires front to rear to see if it is gone? Could be a bent wheel as well.

EDIT: I see you have done a tire rotation. I would be checking for worn steering parts or a bent wheel myself.

Last edited:

Resqnu

Vibration will not be caused by caster, steering stabilizer, alignment, nor axle location related to track bar.

If it's in the steering wheel, it sound like a tire issue. Have you tried rotating tires front to rear to see if it is gone? Could be a bent wheel as well.

I have not tried this yet. Had my first tire rotation done last week. It was a slight vibration that came and went for the last few hundred miles before tire rotation. After rotation last week, it is more pronounced and happens every time between 45-55. I'm tempted to put the tires back like they were before rotating and see what it feels like. Or do just what you stated.

Wore parts with 5400 miles of the jeep?

What caster do you guys run?

WJCO

Meme King
I have not tried this yet. Had my first tire rotation done last week. It was a slight vibration that came and went for the last few hundred miles before tire rotation. After rotation last week, it is more pronounced and happens every time between 45-55. I'm tempted to put the tires back like they were before rotating and see what it feels like. Or do just what you stated.

Wore parts with 5400 miles of the jeep?

What caster do you guys run?

Your caster should be 4.2, regardless, it will not cause a shimmy if it's out of spec. You shouldn't have worn parts with that low of mileage but if you have a shimmy, something isn't right somewhere. If a wheel is bent, they should have noticed that when they balanced it. As far as road force balance with no weights, I have seen that myself a few times, he seems like he is telling you the truth.

Resqnu

Your caster should be 4.2, regardless, it will not cause a shimmy if it's out of spec. You shouldn't have worn parts with that low of mileage but if you have a shimmy, something isn't right somewhere. If a wheel is bent, they should have noticed that when they balanced it. As far as road force balance with no weights, I have seen that myself a few times, he seems like he is telling you the truth.

For caster..my current options with the AEV geo brackets are:
Hole #1 Left 3.6 Right 3.9 Before (I thought drove awesome)
Hole #2 Left 5.3 Right 5.5 Currently (Drives great but seems stiffer)
Which way would you recommend? Are they issues either way? I didn't have issues with the jeep wandering either way. I have read other AEV geo owners prefer 4-5 to 5 for caster.

I agree, something isn't right somewhere. My initial thoughts would have been a balancing issue. But he seems pretty confident the wheels and tires balance perfectly. Should I have balanced somewhere else? I am stumped. I know for the 1st 4800 miles, everything was smooth from day 1 with the lift and tires/wheels and no vibrations that I noticed.

WJCO

Meme King
Which way would you recommend? Are they issues either way? I didn't have issues with the jeep wandering either way. I have read other AEV geo owners prefer 4-5 to 5 for caster.

I agree, something isn't right somewhere. My initial thoughts would have been a balancing issue. But he seems pretty confident the wheels and tires balance perfectly. Should I have balanced somewhere else? I am stumped. I know for the 1st 4800 miles, everything was smooth from day 1 with the lift and tires/wheels and no vibrations that I noticed.

I hate to break it to you, but if the brackets are causing issues, get rid of them all together and install a set of adjustable arms. And your caster should be around 4.2 if possible. And it should be the same side to side, your caster shouldn't be different on one side from the other. With a set of adjustable arms, set the arms to the identical length, install them, check your caster and adjust as needed. The drop brackets are thin, lower your ground clearance, and is one more item that can loosen up over time.

Resqnu

I hate to break it to you, but if the brackets are causing issues, get rid of them all together and install a set of adjustable arms. And your caster should be around 4.2 if possible. And it should be the same side to side, your caster shouldn't be different on one side from the other. With a set of adjustable arms, set the arms to the identical length, install them, check your caster and adjust as needed. The drop brackets are thin, lower your ground clearance, and is one more item that can loosen up over time.

LOL...figured you would be saying that. I was wondering why both sides were not the same. Common sense tells be they should be the same. Any recommendations on adjustable arm brands? I will address this before long. But the shimmying/vibrating steering wheel is driving me crazy. Can I upload a video to show?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

Didn't you say the put a set off Rubicon take-off tires and wheels on and still had the vibration? Doesn't seem tire/wheel related if that's the case.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Andy5160

Hooked
LOL...figured you would be saying that. I was wondering why both sides were not the same. Common sense tells be they should be the same. Any recommendations on adjustable arm brands? I will address this before long. But the shimmying/vibrating steering wheel is driving me crazy. Can I upload a video to show?

Currie is the way to go. They have rebuildable Johnny joints and are massive. EVO is the way to go as well.

Resqnu

Everything looks ok. No missing weights. I have attached a pic of the only thing that looks abnormal to me, but may be normal. The rust not on the shaft but forward/below of the grease nipple. Front of shaft is down
IMG_8408.JPG

black pearl

Hooked
I had a shimmy in my front end that (steering wheel that felt like out of balance tiers) ended up turning into death wobble turns out I blew out my lower ball joints this was with 14400 miles on my 16 new ball joints and it drives like a dream again

Resqnu

I had a shimmy in my front end that (steering wheel that felt like out of balance tiers) ended up turning into death wobble turns out I blew out my lower ball joints this was with 14400 miles on my 16 new ball joints and it drives like a dream again

WOW! I know anything is possible, but I have only driven on road since buying new. Our off road trails just opened here in NC

black pearl

Hooked
WOW! I know anything is possible, but I have only driven on road since buying new. Our off road trails just opened here in NC

I know yours is newer and I did do a fair amount of wheeling with mine in that time I put my 35s on the jeep at about 3000 miles... just something to look at [emoji846]

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Everything looks ok. No missing weights. I have attached a pic of the only thing that looks abnormal to me, but may be normal. The rust not on the shaft but forward/below of the grease nipple. Front of shaft is down
View attachment 255349

I didn't realize you had an aftermarket shaft. That rust looks like the dust cap has moved some since the shaft was painted. Above, that in the picture (the circular pattern) is that a weight that's been painted over? Hard to tell if it is or is where a weight used to be but I don't see a broken spot weld or anything. Just FYI if they increased your caster that could cause more of a driveshaft vibration. But if this problem started showing up prior to that, which it sounds like is the case, it sounds like more of a worn parts issue. Is the vibration like a rhythmic hum or more of a slight oscillation in the steering wheel? As stated above, it wouldn't hurt to look for play in your ball joints either. If its more of a rhythmic hum you could pull the front shaft all together and see if the problem goes away.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I had exactly the same issue between 45-55. Turned out to be two bent wheels. The dealership said they were fine, but when I took them to discount tire the where able to identify the bent wheels. Replaced all 5 wheels with Hutcherson bead looks and have not had the vibration since. (AEV stopped producing the pinters in argent, so I had to upgrade!) One thing that was throwing me off, was one of the front wheels and one back were bent. Tried rotating front to back and still had the problem until I went to discount.

Resqnu

I didn't realize you had an aftermarket shaft. That rust looks like the dust cap has moved some since the shaft was painted. Above, that in the picture (the circular pattern) is that a weight that's been painted over? Hard to tell if it is or is where a weight used to be but I don't see a broken spot weld or anything. Just FYI if they increased your caster that could cause more of a driveshaft vibration. But if this problem started showing up prior to that, which it sounds like is the case, it sounds like more of a worn parts issue. Is the vibration like a rhythmic hum or more of a slight oscillation in the steering wheel? As stated above, it wouldn't hurt to look for play in your ball joints either. If its more of a rhythmic hum you could pull the front shaft all together and see if the problem goes away.

The Mopar 2" comes with a New Dana shaft that is slimmer than the OEM shaft to clear the exhaust at full droop. I agree that it looks like the dust cover has moved since painting. The circular thing you see is not the weight. I have attach a pic of the weight. There is one in the front and rear of the shaft. I felt vibration before they changed caster today. The caster change didn't make a difference. I had a slight vibration before rotating. Since rotating the steering wheel moves back and forth between 45-55. Didn't do that before. I would say the steering wheel is oscillating back and forth. Just hard to believe something could be worn so soon from riding on the road. I do still have the OEM driveshaft I could swap. The 45-55 vibrating steering wheel started after the tire rotation.

Here is a pic of the driveshaft weights
IMG_8411.JPG

Top Bottom