Help Diagnosing vibration

Resqnu

I had exactly the same issue between 45-55. Turned out to be two bent wheels. The dealership said they were fine, but when I took them to discount tire the where able to identify the bent wheels. Replaced all 5 wheels with Hutcherson bead looks and have not had the vibration since. (AEV stopped producing the pinters in argent, so I had to upgrade!) One thing that was throwing me off, was one of the front wheels and one back were bent. Tried rotating front to back and still had the problem until I went to discount.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Maybe I should take to discount and have them check my wheels and tires. It feels like that and with the steering wheel moving seems like balance issue to me, but I'm no mechanic. That's why I am relying on you guys.

Resqnu

Ok guys, finally an update.
I took the Jeep to Discount tire today. They road forced balanced all 5 tire and "ALL" 5 tires needed small amounts of weights (just like before rotation and balancing at dealer). They also found that the front left wheel was bent where it meets the tire, but said they have it balanced perfect. Took the jeep for a test drive and WOW! No more vibes/shimmy at all. I continued to drive to my dealer and told them I still had vibes from last week with the balancing and rotation of the tires. I advised them that discount tire re-balanced the tires and jeep was smooth again. Showed them the wheel that Discount marked as bent. He apologized and has a new wheel on order, should be here this week.
I am now a happy Jeeper again!! :thumb:
I did also check the ball joints the am as well.
Thanks for everyones help!!

Resqnu

Good news. Thanks for the update.

Thank you for your help.

Another question. You stated my caster should be 4.2 and the same on both sides. Using adjustable lower arms.
I'm currently using the AEV Geo brackets and here are my caster numbers"
Hole #1 Left 3.6 Right 3.9 Before
Hole #2 Left 5.3 Right 5.5 Currently
Are these numbers good/bad?
Is it an issue with them not being the same on both sides?

WJCO

Meme King
Thank you for your help.

Another question. You stated my caster should be 4.2 and the same on both sides. Using adjustable lower arms.
I'm currently using the AEV Geo brackets and here are my caster numbers"
Hole #1 Left 3.6 Right 3.9 Before
Hole #2 Left 5.3 Right 5.5 Currently
Are these numbers good/bad?
Is it an issue with them not being the same on both sides?

How are you getting two different numbers? Have you measured yourself or are you going off of their instructions/assumptions that certain holes yield those numbers?

Bottom line, measure yourself and see where you're at. That much difference side to side is not good (SEE EDIT BELOW). If I were in your shoes, I would take the brackets off, buy a good set of adjustable arms and start over and attempt to achieve the proper caster of 4.2 degrees.

Last edited:

Resqnu

How are you getting two different numbers? Have you measured yourself or are you going off of their instructions/assumptions that certain holes yield those numbers?

Bottom line, measure yourself and see where you're at. That much difference side to side is not good. If I were in your shoes, I would take the brackets off, buy a good set of adjustable arms and start over and attempt to achieve the proper caster of 4.2 degrees.

My caster numbers are straight from the dealer print off from the alignment machine. Dealer told me they put my jeep on an alignment machine. and gave me the sheet print off for my alignment numbers. After the vibes, they swapped to the middle hole to see what the caster would be and see if it changed the vibes. It seemed to make the steering stiffer/firmer in the middle hole with my caster in the 5 range, but didn't effect the vibes. All vibes are gone now that I have the tires balanced correctly. I wanted to address the caster settings you spoke about earlier in the thread. I would think you would want both sides to be the same. Seems like adjustable arms would let you get the sides the same. With the AEV brackets you have 3 holes of adjustment to dial in your caster. How big of an issue is both sides not being the same?

AEV Geo Hole #1 Caster-Left 3.6 Right 3.9 (my 1st 5000 miles caster settings)
AEV Geo Hole #2 Caster Left 5.3 Right 5.5 (They moved to the middle hole and this is my current caster settings)

May setting for 1st hole
IMG_8399.JPG

My current settings in middle hole
IMG_8407.JPG

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
My caster numbers are straight from the dealer print off from the alignment machine. Dealer told me they put my jeep on an alignment machine. and gave me the sheet print off for my alignment numbers. After the vibes, they swapped to the middle hole to see what the caster would be and see if it changed the vibes. It seemed to make the steering stiffer/firmer in the middle hole with my caster in the 5 range, but didn't effect the vibes. All vibes are gone now that I have the tires balanced correctly. I wanted to address the caster settings you spoke about earlier in the thread. I would think you would want both sides to be the same. Seems like adjustable arms would let you get the sides the same. With the AEV brackets you have 3 holes of adjustment to dial in your caster. How big of an issue is both sides not being the same?

AEV Geo Hole #1 Caster-Left 3.6 Right 3.9 (my 1st 5000 miles caster settings)
AEV Geo Hole #2 Caster Left 5.3 Right 5.5 (They moved to the middle hole and this is my current caster settings)

May setting for 1st hole

My current settings in middle hole

I misread the #s the first time. If they're only off by 2/3 tenths on each side, that's not that bad. If you are happy with the ride at 5 degrees caster, then leave it, however I would periodically check the bracket bolts and keep them tight. If you aren't experiencing any driveline vibrations while accelerating at highway speeds, you're good. If you do have some vibration, you may need to leave the caster closer to 4 which would require adjustable arms. If you do get adjustable arms, remove the brackets completely.

Resqnu

I misread the #s the first time. If they're only off by 2/3 tenths on each side, that's not that bad. If you are happy with the ride at 5 degrees caster, then leave it, however I would periodically check the bracket bolts and keep them tight. If you aren't experiencing any driveline vibrations while accelerating at highway speeds, you're good. If you do have some vibration, you may need to leave the caster closer to 4 which would require adjustable arms. If you do get adjustable arms, remove the brackets completely.

OK. I was happy with 1st hole and middle hole. Only difference I really noticed was a little firmer steering in middle hole with caster in the 5s. I will keep check on the bolts. I haven't noticed any driveline vibes. Copy are there arm brands you recommend?

WJCO

Meme King
OK. I was happy with 1st hole and middle hole. Only difference I really noticed was a little firmer steering in middle hole with caster in the 5s. I will keep check on the bolts. I haven't noticed any driveline vibes. Copy are there arm brands you recommend?

Anything with a Currie Johnny Joint if you can.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Ok guys, finally an update.
I took the Jeep to Discount tire today. They road forced balanced all 5 tire and "ALL" 5 tires needed small amounts of weights (just like before rotation and balancing at dealer). They also found that the front left wheel was bent where it meets the tire, but said they have it balanced perfect. Took the jeep for a test drive and WOW! No more vibes/shimmy at all. I continued to drive to my dealer and told them I still had vibes from last week with the balancing and rotation of the tires. I advised them that discount tire re-balanced the tires and jeep was smooth again. Showed them the wheel that Discount marked as bent. He apologized and has a new wheel on order, should be here this week.
I am now a happy Jeeper again!! :thumb:
I did also check the ball joints the am as well.
Thanks for everyones help!!

Great news. Glad they figured it out for you. I guess the dealer was full of shit when they said they tried a set of new take-offs and still had the issue huh? Dealers can be shady.

Resqnu

Great news. Glad they figured it out for you. I guess the dealer was full of shit when they said they tried a set of new take-offs and still had the issue huh? Dealers can be shady.

Told the service manager I was upset that the dealer ship road forced balanced with no weights and discount tire road forced balanced, found a bent wheel, and fix the vibes. Needless to say, he did't seem happy that his guys screwed this one up. Starting to lean more on doing everything myself, as I am very ocd. I have built a lot of custom rc cars and rc helis from scratch, just never been a car mechanic. I think I will tinker more so I can do my own work.

WJCO

Meme King
Starting to learn more on doing everything myself, as I am very ocd. I have built a lot of custom rc cars and rc helis from scratch, just never been a car mechanic. I think I will tinker more so I can do my own work.

The main reason I try and do as much as I can myself is mainly because of shops screwing things up. Tired of trusting 'experts.' Everyone is human and can make a mistake. Obviously saving money is a perk, but it's mainly knowing exactly what is done/not done on my Jeep.

Great info. I am assuming you mean replacing the front lower arms with adjustible arms? I only see front lower short arms on eve site.

These are EVO adjustable short arms with Johnny Joints:

https://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-front-lower-short-arms-jk-jku/

Resqnu

The main reason I try and do as much as I can myself is mainly because of shops screwing things up. Tired of trusting 'experts.' Everyone is human and can make a mistake. Obviously saving money is a perk, but it's mainly knowing exactly what is done/not done on my Jeep.

These are EVO adjustable short arms with Johnny Joints:

https://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-front-lower-short-arms-jk-jku/

I agree. If I take my time I think I can do just as well or better. And I have a reason to buy new tools!!! :rock:

Thanks for the link. Pricey but I'm sure you get what you pay for.

Top Bottom