Sedona, Arizona

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Wife and I are looking here for a week trip. I friend told me it is gorgeous there and we would love it. Maybe in July. Would that be too hot? Any suggestions for lodging,..ESPECIALLY unique small out there cabins. Things to do hiking, places to eat, etc. Trying to talk the wife into driving the Jeep. It would be a 10 hour haul, just for three of us. Pics and opinions would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

WJCO

Meme King
Sedona is beautiful. It can get hot in the summer, truthfully, I would say stay in Flagstaff (cooler) and drive down and explore Sedona that way (about 1.5 hours away). Flagstaff is a nice mountain town, higher elevation and cooler. That whole area is really nice. If you stay in Flag, you can also take a day to do the Grand Canyon if you haven't done that before.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a fan of Sedona. I hate all the stupid Pink Jeeps that think they own the couple of trails they have out there and find it so disappointing to pull up to a vista only to see homes. A bit too touristy and the whole hippy vortex vibe is not my cup of tea either. Of course, that's just me. Like WJCO said, I might recommend staying in Flagstaff. Got a cool brewery there and it's cooler.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Sedona is beautiful. It can get hot in the summer, truthfully, I would say stay in Flagstaff (cooler) and drive down and explore Sedona that way (about 1.5 hours away). Flagstaff is a nice mountain town, higher elevation and cooler. That whole area is really nice. If you stay in Flag, you can also take a day to do the Grand Canyon if you haven't done that before.

Yes, love to see the Canyon.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a fan of Sedona. I hate all the stupid Pink Jeeps that think they own the couple of trails they have out there and find it so disappointing to pull up to a vista only to see homes. A bit too touristy and the whole hippy vortex vibe is not my cup of tea either. Of course, that's just me. Like WJCO said, I might recommend staying in Flagstaff. Got a cool brewery there and it's cooler.

I was looking at your trip with the pink jeeps on the trails. Gotta be annoying. Will look at Flagstaff and the brewery! Thanks!

10abadilla/jk

I'm from Arizona and have been to flagstaff and Sedona plenty of times. While both are beautiful i will have to agree with eddy on this one And say that the hippy vibe in Sedona kills it for me. Like WJCO and eddy said. Stay in flagstaff and make the drive. It will be worth it.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
I ran a bunch of trails in mid July a few years back. Wasn't my intention to be there in July but just ended up in that area and decided to take advantage of it. I chose to stay in Williams AZ which basically had me equal distances between Sedona & the Grand Canyon. It was humid and in the 90's but still had a fantastic time.

Like already mentioned, Sedona has a goofy bohemian, hippy, new age vibe, but the scenery is spectacular. Go enjoy the views and grab a bite to eat and don't bother spending time in town unless you too are searching for some healing energy or your vortex.

Ddays

Hooked
The drive up through Oak Creek Canyon is pretty cool. Like everyone said, Sedona is pretty weird but the scenery is great.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I would start in Flag, there are a couple of trails there. And take 89a south and do a stop in Sedona, there are a couple of nice trails that are less pink Jeepy and it is cool to see the red rocks. After that I'd spend the day in Jerome and maybe even stay there for the night. The next day go down the other side of the mountain to Prescott and have lunch on Whisky Row than jet straight up north to Williams and on to the Grand Canyon. Neat things to see in all those places. And if you have time shoot over to the Hackberry General store on route 66 between Williams and GC.

Discount Tire

If you go, I recommend a helicopter tour. Amazing views!!! There's also an old ghost town (or formally was) just south of Sedona called Jerome. A lot of neat things and history to experience there and the Haunted Hamburger restaurant is a must if you're a burger lover :yup:

Downtown Cottonwood (in between Jerome and Sedona) has some good AZ wine tasting rooms if you're into that.

20161119_102757_zpsbvc1ugxz.jpg

20161119_104006_zps08ood2ir.jpg

20161119_103920_zpsn7yykpoi.jpg

20161118_121555_zpsbvmkk58a.jpg

20161118_114709_zpsxedpht5x.jpg

Last edited:
Sedona is wonderful In my opinion! Now it does have the down sides like it's always busy, and it can be warm but nothing to terrible just have sunscreen hats etc. The plus sides are a lot of wonderful hiking, creeks and just awesome scenery! You're never far from beautiful trails with a wonderful view.
Also good food! There's a lot of super cool restaurants and ice cream places etc. But like Eddie and WJCO said you should stay in flag 1. Cheaper 2. Cooler
Just my 2cents

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Discount Tire

Check out staying in Munds Park, as well. There is trail (Schnebly Hill Road) not far from there that will take you the back way into Sedona. Easy trail with gorgeous views.

Top Bottom