Mobil 1 extended performance oil?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Interesting thread, but I think it's a bit out dated now. Doesn't look like Castrol 'Edge Extended Performance', Castrol 'GTX Magnatec' or Pennzoil 'Ultra Platinum' were tested. Would be interesting to see this updated. My Dad has used Mobil 1 in all of his car which he drives to 100k+ and has never had any problems. I've got 4 free oil changes at the dealer through the Wave program, so will use those first, and will ask for full synthetic, even if I have to pay the difference from conventional. I read a lot about oil before choosing one for my out of warranty Porsche. Funny thing is after all the reading, I chose an oil not approved by Porsche, and w/o API certification. Many people who know Porsche m96 & m97 engines (essentially water cooled flat sixes from 1999-2008) will suggest using Joe Gibbs Driven DT40. I see Driven makes both a 5W-20 and a 5W-30. http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/products/street-performance-engine-oilshtml I may try them after I'm out of warranty. Some people who know m96 & m97 engines very well say Mobil 1 is very good at keeping the engine clean, but not so great at preventing wear. Only downside I can see with the Driven oils is the added ZDDP may wear out the cats quicker. To me, however, cats are cheaper than major engine work.

Not really outdated. The moral of the thread stands.

1) Synthetic is superior to dino.

2) Any quality big name synthetic from your local big box will do just fine, so get whichever one is on sale...usually it's Mobil1 around my area.

Everything else was simply backup data, but that's all one really needs to take away from this thread.

DK570

Best place to get information about wear protection of all the oils. I use Mobil 1 in my race car and it came standard in it from the factory like many high end cars. can't beat it for the price also.
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com

Interesting read. Formatting could use some work, but the info is there. To me, the most interesting bit was the difference in Mobil 1 0W40 performance between the 'old' and the 'FS' versions.

Top Bottom