Wines of the Week

Brute

Hooked
Cross posting because it fits two categories. Enjoying a Perdomo Estate Seleccion and, ready for this? A glass of 1934 Haut Brion Bordeaux from a bottle that was found in Eagle’s Nest. Aka a glass of wine that was in Hitlers personal collection from countries and regions he invaded. For those interested here is some history on the Eagles Nest invasion:

https://onthewineroad.us/the-race-to-drink-hitlers-wine/

View attachment 325385

It came at a price...but well worth it.

Brute, I thought of you while consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

So...tell me what a glass o ‘34 Chateau Haut Brion tasted like...was it still there?

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I know nothing about wine. But an 85 year old bottle of wine can be opened and sold by the glass? and then just be corked up. That's some serious shelf life.

The only way I’ve seen to pour by the glass while still preserving the bottle is with the use of a coravin or something similar. It definitely raises suspicion and is a glass I probably wouldn’t trust.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You can use an open bottle almost indefinitely. The key is to keep filling it up with your favorite boxed wine whenever the bottle becomes empty.

fiend

Caught the Bug
You can use an open bottle almost indefinitely. The key is to keep filling it up with your favorite boxed wine whenever the bottle becomes empty.

I did that for a while when my wife developed what became an expensive white wine habit. Needless to say there was marital discord when she discovered my scheme.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Cross posting because it fits two categories. Enjoying a Perdomo Estate Seleccion and, ready for this? A glass of 1934 Haut Brion Bordeaux from a bottle that was found in Eagle’s Nest. Aka a glass of wine that was in Hitlers personal collection from countries and regions he invaded. For those interested here is some history on the Eagles Nest invasion:

https://onthewineroad.us/the-race-to-drink-hitlers-wine/

View attachment 325385

It came at a price...but well worth it.

Brute, I thought of you while consuming.

So cool! Got a picture of the bottle? A wine like that must of been cared for, decanted and re-bottled along the way.

longarmwj

So cool! Got a picture of the bottle? A wine like that must of been cared for, decanted and re-bottled along the way.

Didn’t think to get a picture of the bottle. I ordered it and they brought it over to me while i picked out my stogie. Next time i go up there I’ll have to see if i can get a pic of it.

Hopefully they aren’t passing it off as something it’s not. People here brought up some good points i didn’t think about. So they either don’t know how to properly store a vintage or are passing it off as something it isn’t.

Brute

Hooked
Didn’t think to get a picture of the bottle. I ordered it and they brought it over to me while i picked out my stogie. Next time i go up there I’ll have to see if i can get a pic of it.

Hopefully they aren’t passing it off as something it’s not. People here brought up some good points i didn’t think about. So they either don’t know how to properly store a vintage or are passing it off as something it isn’t.

You cannot open a bottle that old and just put the cork back in...it is so fragile at that age that I’m even surprised that it was drinkable...

The two oldest bottles of wine I ever had was a ‘48 Lafite Rothschild...it had turned to vinegar...and a ‘59 d’Yquem..a Sauterne...which was an out of body experience..

The only way to enjoy an incredible First Growth Bordeaux like that Haut Brion was to open it in the cellar of the chateau and drink the whole bottle...

longarmwj

You cannot open a bottle that old and just put the cork back in...it is so fragile at that age that I’m even surprised that it was drinkable...

The two oldest bottles of wine I ever had was a ‘48 Lafite Rothschild...it had turned to vinegar...and a ‘59 d’Yquem..a Sauterne...which was an out of body experience..

The only way to enjoy an incredible First Growth Bordeaux like that Haut Brion was to open it in the cellar of the chateau and drink the whole bottle...

Makes me thing I got fooled then...

That’s a damn shame too because it was quite an interesting story

longarmwj

Basically what I’m gathering here is that if you want to fool somebody into thinking they’re actually drinking and paying for a vintage, you’re better off pouring balsamic vinegar in their glass?

Time to open up a boutique

Top Bottom