Birth of Phoenix

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
So it’s been awhile since I’ve updated this. Especially since I was in the middle of a long arm upgrade. If you follow on IG then you’ve seen most of everything.

So I finished the rear and moved up front. Disassembly was easy. The only time consuming parts is cutting and grinding off brackets. IMG_8427.jpg
I also removed the passenger side cat because I realized it was going to be in the way. IMG_8422.jpg
IMG_8426.jpg

Once everything was cleaned up I decided to start mocking up the brackets. This is where the trouble started. I’m sorry I didn’t take any pictures but I was frustrated at the time. The lower control arm would not work with the Superduty axle. Superduty axles have very wide lower control arm mounts. With as far wide the arm would have to go, there was interference issues with the EVO mount. I stared at it for awhile and even had another Jeep buddy look at it. I knew I should have trusted my gut and not tried an off the shelf kit. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with EVO. I’m impressed with the quality of the kit but it doesn’t work with my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
So now enter panic mode. I’m 3 weeks from finishing school on VA and driving back to WA to start my job and my front axle is sitting on jack stands with the frame side brackets cut off. At this point I decide to 3 link the front. I purchase an Artec crossmember with control arm mounts and also the rest of the Artec 3 link brackets. I buy 2”x1.5” DOM locally for control arms and buy inserts and nuts from Ruff Stuff Specialties. Decided to go with Johnny Joints for the arms. 10 days later everything finally arrives.

I completely underestimated the beef of the Artec truss. Very thick and well built. Probably another 15lbs heavier than the stock one. IMG_8476.jpg IMG_8480.jpg

Made the arms. Adjustments.jpg
IMG_8449.jpg IMG_8530.jpg

Welded up the upper control arm brackets. Just realized I don’t have a photo of the finished bracket. I’ll post that later. IMG_8485.jpg IMG_8444.jpg IMG_8489.jpg

It was all very easy to make and put together. The suspension flexes very nicely. I always wanted 4 link but had to settle for this right now.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Last thing to do was the exhaust. Now I couldn’t run the crossover pipe in front of the crossmember because the driver side LCA Mount was now in the way along with the driveshaft. The only answer was to cross over behind the crossmember. The passenger cat only needed to be adjusted slightly to clear everything. Driver side was extended to move the collector further back. Drove it open header on the passenger side 5 miles to the muffler shop. Terribly loud.
IMG_8507.jpg
IMG_8509.jpg
IMG_8508.jpg

Jsouder53

Hooked
That’s unfortunate it didn’t work out. Are you taking another route now or putting it back together stock somehow?

Edit: just read through the rest of your post.

Looks awesome!!

Last edited:

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Here’s a flex test. By my calculations, it scored a 1087 on the RTI ramp. Everything flexes well. I just need coilovers now. Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
I do love how the Jeep drives now. It shines on the freeway. It seems to float over everything. Also seems way more stable. I’ve put 350 miles on it so far. In 4 days I begin my trip back to WA.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Did one last trip to the OBX. Got caught in high tide and had to drive through a lot of water to get off the beach. It was a little sketchy. Sand and salt everywhere. I also have an axle seal leaking that I need to fix when I get home. IMG_8610.jpg Adjustments.jpg Adjustments.jpg IMG_8627.jpg
IMG_8628.jpg
IMG_8632.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
Did one last trip to the OBX. Got caught in high tide and had to drive through a lot of water to get off the beach. It was a little sketchy. Sand and salt everywhere. I also have an axle seal leaking that I need to fix when I get home. View attachment 353217 View attachment 353218 View attachment 353219 View attachment 353220
View attachment 353221
View attachment 353222

Get all that sea salt off or it will eat up your jeep in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
Looks like a great time on the beach finishing off you last couple of days on the east coast. That was a hell of skit if work to get there, but looks it it was all worth it in the end.

Congrats!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Elroy231

Did one last trip to the OBX. Got caught in high tide and had to drive through a lot of water to get off the beach. It was a little sketchy. Sand and salt everywhere. I also have an axle seal leaking that I need to fix when I get home. View attachment 353217 View attachment 353218 View attachment 353219 View attachment 353220
View attachment 353221
View attachment 353222

Nice job. Great way to adapt to your project needs. Looks good. I definatley can relate to the pain in the ass it is removing old brackets. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Looks like a great time on the beach finishing off you last couple of days on the east coast. That was a hell of skit if work to get there, but looks it it was all worth it in the end.

Congrats!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks! Also found out that I made Senior Chief yesterday so a nice cherry on top of this trip.

Top Bottom