Jeep JK Wrangler Grade 8 Replacement Bolts - Do I Really Need Them?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm new here. But here's what I'll say: the brace where trackbar attached to the front axle has a hole for an inch bolt. And the fact that the metric bolt is used there leads to the fact that the hole will break and turn into an oval. That all leads to a shimmy.

My opinion is: You can tighten and tighten the bolt from time to time. Or you can just change it to the correct one.

In America, tightening bolts from time to time is called "maintenance". But, pay no attention to a silly thing like that. Being that the right size bolt is all that's needed, just install your bolt with a stover or pinch nut but make sure to NOT tighten it to torque spec. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody can make a mistake. Even a Chrysler engineers (or other guys in Chrysler):))) For example: casting sand in cooling system of my JK. What is it? A mistake of course.
Most of you have no problems with bolts. Good for you. But I have. There may be a reason in bad Russian roads. Maybe someone has not screwed the bolt well enough. In any case, I do not force you to agree with me. This is just my point of view.

A "mistake" is something that occurs on a few vehicles and recalls or TSB's are issued to have them "fixed". You know, kind of like what happened with the casting sand problem or the head problem on the early Pentastars. Maybe language is a barrier for you but what OverlanderJK was saying is that there literally are over 1.5 million JK's that have been made and ALL with the same track bar bolt. If it really were a "mistake", it's nothing short of amazing that there aren't at least a million people out there with a loose bolt problem. But hey, what would I know.

Alexander

In America, tightening bolts from time to time is called "maintenance". But, pay no attention to a silly thing like that. Being that the right size bolt is all that's needed, just install your bolt with a stover or pinch nut but make sure to NOT tighten it to torque spec. :yup:

It's sarcasm. Witty. I understand.:yup:

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
A "mistake" is something that occurs on a few vehicles and recalls or TSB's are issued to have them "fixed". You know, kind of like what happened with the casting sand problem or the head problem on the early Pentastars. Maybe language is a barrier for you but what OverlanderJK was saying is that there literally are over 1.5 million JK's that have been made and ALL with the same track bar bolt. If it really were a "mistake", it's nothing short of amazing that there aren't at least a million people out there with a loose bolt problem. But hey, what would I know.

I agree. Why was there no recall, for such a widely known problem? I suspect most of the people, that have had a problem, installed a lift, and the bolt was never torqued properly, after the installation.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Alexander

I understand your point of view. It turns out that if someone puts such inch bolts - this is just for their own peace of mind. In any case, any bolt needs to be tightened well, yes? :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I understand your point of view. It turns out that if someone puts such inch bolts - this is just for their own peace of mind. In any case, any bolt needs to be tightened well, yes? :)

"Tightened well" is NOT the same thing as tightened to the "proper torque spec". Peace of mind comes from maintaining your Jeep, not from buying things you don't need.

WJCO

Meme King

It's not a point of view, it's accurate information. While I appreciate your passion to save the internet, it's bullshit that the factory uses a one inch hole. No one needs to retain any of this stuff that you're selling.

Here's is a picture of the factory bolt being measured and compared to a one inch hole. If the factory bracket used a one inch hole, the bolt would be flopping around like a 90 year old scrotum. It's not accurate. The factory bolt is a 14mm.

DSC05094.JPG

DSC05097.jpg

Alexander

"Tightened well" is NOT the same thing as tightened to the "proper torque spec". Peace of mind comes from maintaining your Jeep, not from buying things you don't need.

You right.
I do not have a torque wrench. So tighten bolts and nuts as I feel :idontknow:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Steave, about your questions: I don't know. Really, why don't they use inch bolts? It costs nothing to them, it should be even better. May be you know?

You seem to be the expert on this matter which is why I asked you. Clearly I know nothing and so does the mopar engineers

Alexander

It's not a point of view, it's accurate information. While I appreciate your passion to save the internet, it's bullshit that the factory uses a one inch hole. No one needs to retain any of this stuff that you're selling.

Here's is a picture of the factory bolt being measured and compared to a one inch hole. If the factory bracket used a one inch hole, the bolt would be flopping around like a 90 year old scrotum. It's not accurate. The factory bolt is a 14mm.

No "one inch hole" :doh: I mean "inch bolt" is " no metric bolt". Inch bolt is 9/16''' = 14.3mm.
Sorry, difficulties of translation :rolleyes2:

WJCO

Meme King
No "one inch hole" :doh: I mean "inch bolt" is " no metric bolt". Inch bolt is 9/16''' = 14.3mm.
Sorry, difficulties of translation :rolleyes2:

That makes a lot more sense. I'm still using what the factory intended to be there though.

JKbrick

View attachment 256936

View attachment 256937

Thank you for not posting a 90 year old scrotum in your illustrations

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom