Death wobble help

Jeeper125

Dw came back on the Jeep and still had the shimmy in the steering wheel at around 40-50, went to my local 4x4 shop and they balanced my tires and looked at the Jeep, the only thing they mentioned was that my track bar needs to be replaced because it is flexing to much, shop tech brought me in and showed me and it is flexing at the curve right above the pumpkin. I’m a little skeptical ab that causing my dw so I figured I’d see how it drives with just the balanced tires and take it from there. Jeep was driving great with no more shimmying in the steering wheel but yesterday I hit a decent pot hole and got full on dw were I had to come to almost a complete stop. Again a little skeptical about the flexing of my trackbar causing the dw. The shop couldn’t even tell that it was an ome trackbar and it looks like ome changed their trackbar design idk if it was for this reason. Just trying to see if anyone has any input on this flexing trackbar issue and if it really could be the cause of my dw.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A

Andy29847

True tires

An out of round tire can cause DW. Find a shop that can check/true your tires.

rl206

Correct me if I’m wrong, but a track bar flexing can, and would be the primary reason for death wobble. I just went through this. I noticed my track bar was flexing, so I replaced it. I have been driving w/o a death grip on the steering wheel since [emoji1303]

I think my wheels and tires aren’t balanced, 2nd attempt made them better, but may not be as good as it could be still. I’m pretty that was the shimmy needed to make my bar start to flex.

Last edited:

MericaMade

Dw came back on the Jeep and still had the shimmy in the steering wheel at around 40-50, went to my local 4x4 shop and they balanced my tires and looked at the Jeep, the only thing they mentioned was that my track bar needs to be replaced because it is flexing to much, shop tech brought me in and showed me and it is flexing at the curve right above the pumpkin. I’m a little skeptical ab that causing my dw so I figured I’d see how it drives with just the balanced tires and take it from there. Jeep was driving great with no more shimmying in the steering wheel but yesterday I hit a decent pot hole and got full on dw were I had to come to almost a complete stop. Again a little skeptical about the flexing of my trackbar causing the dw. The shop couldn’t even tell that it was an ome trackbar and it looks like ome changed their trackbar design idk if it was for this reason. Just trying to see if anyone has any input on this flexing trackbar issue and if it really could be the cause of my dw.

Sounds like a track bar to me.

jdofmemi

When half of the 3 pounds or so of balance weights fall off of the MTR, it can set shit in motion too.

My RF had 3 rows of weights glued to the rim, about 8 inches long, AND 2 more rows stacked on top of those!

New tires can't get on there soon enough.
Along with a new tie rod from Exodus and a re torque of everything else, and alignment, it should drive like new again.

A

Andy29847

No, it may be able to “instigate” DW but NOT “cause” it.

If you have THE death wobble answer, you can sell it. Jeeps seem to suffer this disease regardless of the model or age of the vehicle. A consistent theme in these threads has been that a jeep owner has spent $$$ on new parts and still has a wobble. In fact, this thread starts like that.

Been fighting death wobble for a while now and can’t seem to find a fix, this is what I have done so far.
- prosteer ball joints (almost a year old)
- yeti xd steering with flipped dl (month old)
- new track bar bushings (week old)
- new wheel bearings (month old)
- new uca (almost a year old)
- had the Jeep aligned by two separate shops both said it was good one of them being after my steering upgrade
My local 4x4 shop is saying that I may have a bent rim but I’m doubtful that it could be causing full on death wobble. Lca look good no play and would b very surprised if I already worn out my prosteers. Everything is tight and nothing seems loose or worn. I hit a dead end and can’t think of anything else that could b causing my wobble. Hoping someone can shed some light on what could be causing this because I’m out of options thanks in advance!

My own experience has been that my problems went away when I had my tires trued. Since that initial experience, I go to the tire truing shop soon after I buy new tires. I'm finding that even some brand new BF Goodrich tires are not true (round). The 4x4 guru who runs the local shop preaches the same thing. Besides truing and balancing the tires, and making sure that your suspension/steering parts that are in good shape, suspension geometry can have significant effects on your ride. Front wheel alignment (toe in and caster), axles set square to the body, and driveline angles are all important.

My conclusion is that jeep steering components and design suck. The design issues are amplified when we mod our toys. My answer to the issue is to use the best components I can afford. For me, that is Currie steering gear and suspension parts.

Jeeper125

My tires were just balance and drive really nice, no shimmy at any speed. But when I hit that one pot hole it just sent it straight into dw. probably going to pull the trigger on a new track bar and see if that eliminates the wobble. Ome did redesign their trackbar maybe for this reason. Any suggestions on good trackbar for my set up?

Top Bottom