37s on a Gladiator Rubicon with 6spd manual

Jk Jeep Geek

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with how a Gladiator Rubicon with the 6spd manual and 4.10 rears handles 37s? I have a JKU with the 6spd and the manual always seemed more forgiving then the auto with larger tires but recently was told by someone that the new 6spd is geared differently. That because of those changes it would be miserable with the 37s. I would likely regear in the future but was hoping that the 4.10s of the Rubicon and peppier 3.6L would buy me some time.

Bonedoc the only thing I’d say to you directly is before you change your order, if you enjoy a manual transmission as much as it seems, you have to ask yourself one question. Could you live with a bit smaller tires (maybe 33’s to 35’s) before you gave up the manual transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bonedoc

Here is the current update. Spoke to my sales manager today. He told me they are trying one last thing to see if they can get my order changed. He is not very confident that it will work but they are trying it anyway. He won't know till Monday or at latest Tuesday morning if it is accepted. In the case it isn't he told me they will just order me another truck. So bottomline by end of day Tuesday either my current order will be changed and updated from the manual to an auto or I will have another identical truck ordered with the automatic instead. Actually...one of the nice things about ordering another one is the safety group is no longer required so I'll save almost another 1K on the price.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’d agree with that aspect. I bought my first Jeep in 1996. I’ve lived in md all my life. Back then I could go a couple days without seeing a fellow Jeep owner. Now I cant drive 15 mins up the road without seeing 10. I’d be pretty surprised if even one out of those 10 were or ever will be put in the situation you are describing. Like I said, I agree that in the situation you are describing an auto could definitely be better but still stand by my feeling that the gear ratios leaning towards the autos now is that most jeeps are used as a dd and people just don’t wanna bother with shifting. Either way it would be nice for all the Jeep enthusiasts out there to have the same power available no matter which transmission they prefer to drive

Totally agree that they are catering to the masses, good or bad. And I’m glad they are keeping manuals alive.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Shantz

I have a JLU Sport S manual with 35s and 3.45 gears. It's fast, but you have no use for 5/6 in the city. 6th on the freeway is only good for down hill or flat road with a tail wind.

That said, I'm moving to 4.56s next month. So, I'd guess you would at least need 4.88 with 37s.

Sent from my SM-G930U using WAYALIFE mobile app

. If a 7 speed or 8 speed manual was an option it could possibly bring that advantage back to the manual transmission, or at least make the manual not so much of a disadvantage.

IMG_5456.JPG
🤣

Really though I don’t think people could handle more than a 6 position shifter, even semi 18 speed manual trans are only 6 position with splitters.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

bonedoc

Okay. Well ultimately trying to change my original order didn't work. So another vehicle has been ordered as of today. Very happy that the dealership worked with me on the issue as well as in pricing as well. I'm going to be 1% under invoice as of right now. New order was done without the safety group as well which lowered the price approx. 900.00.
Now the wait begins...again. Will probably be early February when I receive it.

bonedoc

Bonedoc the only thing I’d say to you directly is before you change your order, if you enjoy a manual transmission as much as it seems, you have to ask yourself one question. Could you live with a bit smaller tires (maybe 33’s to 35’s) before you gave up the manual transmission?

I contemplated this. But to be honest with you. 37s seem to look just right on a Gladiator to me. The proportion looks almost perfect to my eye. Short answer...no. I'm not giving up manual all together though. My '08 JKU is a 6spd and is my daily driver.

WJCO

Meme King
Okay. Well ultimately trying to change my original order didn't work. So another vehicle has been ordered as of today. Very happy that the dealership worked with me on the issue as well as in pricing as well. I'm going to be 1% under invoice as of right now. New order was done without the safety group as well which lowered the price approx. 900.00.

Glad it all worked out.

JKbrick

I have a JLU Sport S manual with 35s and 3.45 gears. It's fast, but you have no use for 5/6 in the city. 6th on the freeway is only good for down hill or flat road with a tail wind.

That said, I'm moving to 4.56s next month. So, I'd guess you would at least need 4.88 with 37s.

If your spending the money to regear think hard about your long term goals, you may want to do more than 4:56 gears, maybe not, but something to consider

If your spending the money to regear think hard about your long term goals, you may want to do more than 4:56 gears, maybe not, but something to consider

This is very good advice. When I swapped my front axle and re geared the rear to match it, I did so with the possibility of going bigger and made a gear choice that would be ideal for my future tire size AND wheeling style.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug

Nice! What color did you go with?

wjtstudios

Hooked

Glad it worked out for you. Congrats!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Shantz

Thanks JK brick... I did a lot of digging around, and found a gearing calculator. 456 looks perfect for my needs. It's my DD, and I do a lot of freeway driving as well.
This is very good advice. When I swapped my front axle and re geared the rear to match it, I did so with the possibility of going bigger and made a gear choice that would be ideal for my future tire size AND wheeling style.
I know I'm not gonna go bigger than 35s... from everything I could find online, it looks slightly deeper than 410s with stock.

bonedoc

Just checked status of my JTR!!

It is finished and awaiting shipping to the dealership. Woot Woot!! Can't wait!!

Just checked status of my JTR!!

It is finished and awaiting shipping to the dealership. Woot Woot!! Can't wait!!

Get under it and check the welds before you take delivery. NHTSA started an investigation of them on JL/JT’s now. Make sure you got a good one

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom