37s on a Gladiator Rubicon with 6spd manual

WJCO

Meme King
Get under it and check the welds before you take delivery. NHTSA started an investigation of them on JL/JT’s now. Make sure you got a good one

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Pretty sure that's been fixed by now. But the early builds did have some nasty welds that were breaking. There was even a recall on it. I looked at ours when we got it and welds look good and smooth all over.

IMG_20200111_084223_088.jpg

IMG_20200111_084302_140.jpg

Sent from my shitty flip phone camera.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure that's been fixed by now. But the early builds did have some nasty welds that were breaking. There was even a recall on it. I looked at ours when we got it and welds look good and smooth all over.

This ^^^^

Haven't seen or heard of anyone having problems for a very long time.

View attachment 339918

View attachment 339919

I would hope by now they’ve got it fixed but there’s still recent articles and talk about expanding that initial recall etc. Small insurance to have a looksie.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

twopullupeddie

Finally got home and got my manual JT lifted and on 37s.
my impressions after a few hundred miles...
- The short first gear helps get the 37s rolling with no fuss.
- definitely need to hold the gears longer before upshifting or the 3.6 will fall on its face.
- But overall not too bad, even on the highway. 6 gear completely useable and no problems maintaining 80 mph on the highway.
- After reading so many uninformed opinions (not here) from JK owner and folks who “ read” or “heard” somewhere that the manual would be un-driveable on 37s had me bit concerned.
- Yeah I find my self shifting more often to stay in the power band/sweet spot but that is to be expected.
- Fuel economy, HAHAHAHAHHAA! Yeah, nah... 14 -15mpg. Not quite Prius numbers...
- Will I regear? It doesn’t need it for my day to day needs, but we’ll see. Trying to get out to Moab this Spring. We’ll see how that goes...

JT 3 qtr videw.jpg JT Profile Drvr.jpg

Last edited:

bonedoc

- definitely need to hold the gears longer before upshifting or the 3.6 will fall on its face.
- But overall not too bad, even on the highway. 6 gear completely useable and no problems maintaining 80 mph on the highway.
- After reading so many uninformed opinions (not here) from JK owner and folks who “ read” or “heard” somewhere that the manual would be un-driveable on 37s had me bit concerned.
- Yeah I find my self shifting more often to stay in the power band/sweet spot but that is to be expected.
- Fuel economy, HAHAHAHAHHAA! Yeah, nah... 14 -15mpg. Not quite Prius numbers...
- Will I regear? It doesn’t need it for my day to day needs, but we’ll see. Trying to get out to Moab this Spring. We’ll see how that goes...

View attachment 340746 View attachment 340747

That is nice to hear. I ended up changing my order from a manual to the auto. I have to say I'm very happy with how the auto performs, it is impressive how much of an improvement it is over the old auto used in the JKs. But I love my manual in my JKU.

Question. What kind of hooks are those on your front bumper? I have the OEM steel bumper, Going to pull end caps and make it stubby, also have a 10K Warn winch for it with the warn mounting plate kit.

Last edited:

Napalm

View attachment 340746 View attachment 340747

Looks really good!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

twopullupeddie

Rugged Ridge Arcus Stubby Front Bumper

The bumper is the Rugged Ridge Arcus. I really like the looks of the Mopar steel stubby bumper and how it nestled the winch down low. I felt the Arcus captured the look of that bumper but with added touch of those recovery points/hooks. Plus the price point isn't too crazy, nor is the weight of it. The install isn't too rough by yourself. An extra set of hands would have been very welcome.

The lift is the Stage 1 Evo 2.5 Enforcer Overland Plus w/ shock extensions. Its a 2.5" in name only. I haven't actually measured it but my eyeballs are saying its at least 3". Perhaps the front springs will "settle in'. Either way I am satisfied with it.

Thanks for the likes. I am very happy with how it came out especially considering I did it all by myself.

I have the KC Pro 6 light bar coming too. Not gonna lie. I am getting that primarily for the looks. I will post up some pics when that gets installed.

twopullupeddie

That is nice to hear. I ended up changing my order from a manual to the auto. I have to say I'm very happy with how the auto performs, it is impressive how much of an improvement it is over the old auto used in the JKs. But I love my manual in my JKU.

Question. What kind of hooks are those on your front bumper? I have the OEM steel bumper, Going to pull end caps and make it stubby, also have a 10K Warn winch for it with the warn mounting plate kit.

I agree that 8 speed auto is impressive. I didn’t drive one until after I bought my manual. If I were to do it over again I would definitely get the auto.

bonedoc

I agree that 8 speed auto is impressive. I didn’t drive one until after I bought my manual. If I were to do it over again I would definitely get the auto.

I still miss the manual though. Truck looks great. Can't wait to get my lift on. I'm doing the 3" Rock Krawler Pro-X lift with 37s

twopullupeddie

I still miss the manual though. Truck looks great. Can't wait to get my lift on. I'm doing the 3" Rock Krawler Pro-X lift with 37s

I was really intrigued by the Rock Krawler Pro-X lift. But with me doing the install myself and by myself I felt I would be getting in over my head with that install. I am a newcomer to wrenching on my own stuff. I think I could have pulled it off if I had a real lift. But doing it on my back on the garage floor would not be ideal.

Are you putting yours in yourself? If so I would love to get your thoughts on the install.

twopullupeddie

Updated driving impressions after 2.5 Evo Enforcer lift..

Well, just completed a 950 mile road trip to Florida from Ohio in the Gladiator. My initial impressions were based on a 150 mile round trip to Dayton, OH with 37s and a 2 inch budget boost and some around town driving. I was amazed at how dramatic the affect on driving performance was after installing the Evo 2.5 lift.

- The JT had a difficult time maintianing 70mph in 5th and 6th was a non-starter unless flat or down hill.
-MPG were reasonable(?) at 16.5 considering I was in 4th or 5th the majority of the time.
-Climbing was limited to the 50s mph range regardless of gear choice.
-FYI i have a tazer i stalled to calibrate tire size and such
- Final verdict, a re-gear is in order. If driving engagement/shifting gears does not trump your desire for performance and day to day driveability on the highway or a regear is not in the budget, I would definitely recommend the automatic... sadly...

WJCO

Meme King
Well, just completed a 950 mile road trip to Florida from Ohio in the Gladiator. My initial impressions were based on a 150 mile round trip to Dayton, OH with 37s and a 2 inch budget boost and some around town driving. I was amazed at how dramatic the affect on driving performance was after installing the Evo 2.5 lift.

I assume you mean in a good way?

- The JT had a difficult time maintianing 70mph in 5th and 6th was a non-starter unless flat or down hill.
-MPG were reasonable(?) at 16.5 considering I was in 4th or 5th the majority of the time.
-Climbing was limited to the 50s mph range regardless of gear choice.
-FYI i have a tazer i stalled to calibrate tire size and such
- Final verdict, a re-gear is in order. If driving engagement/shifting gears does not trump your desire for performance and day to day driveability on the highway or a regear is not in the budget, I would definitely recommend the automatic... sadly...

Good info. Thanks for sharing. What are you going to re-gear to ?

twopullupeddie

I assume you mean in a good way?

Thanks for sharing. What are you going to re-gear to ?

I was referring to how the aerodynamics were affected by the lift at highway speeds. Handling and ride quality are swell.

4.56 should bring the performance closer to stock... But the stock performance with 33s was a bit lackluster.
Need to do some homework on the effect of 4.88s or 5.13s on the rpms at different speeds and gears with 37s.

Top Bottom