"What the hell do I do now?" An educational thread for wheelin' beginners

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 are only for messing with the yokes right? Is that just for if you're going from say a 1350 back to stock for your repair? Or is there any other reason you may need those if you're running a stock ds?

Correct. I say to bring them just in case someone in your group is carrying a spare 1310 or 1350 with them. This is something that just happened over the summer on the Rubicon. If you have no spare and your best option is to just pull the shaft, the sockets won't do you any good.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I got this idea from Ian on Xtreme 4x4. If you break a front shaft on the trail and you don't have a spare, as others said, you can still take the shaft out and get home in 3-wheel drive. But short of stuffing a rag into your axle end to keep the fluid from leaking out, you can use a mechanical rubber plug in it's place. It's essentially a plug with a bolt through it, which you can tighten to create a seal on the end of the axle tube. Here's an example -

3703671-24.jpg

They should only be a few bucks and provide peace of mind, especially if you have to cross water with a missing shaft to get home.

GraniteCrystal

I got this idea from Ian on Xtreme 4x4. If you break a front shaft on the trail and you don't have a spare, as others said, you can still take the shaft out and get home in 3-wheel drive. But short of stuffing a rag into your axle end to keep the fluid from leaking out, you can use a mechanical rubber plug in it's place. It's essentially a plug with a bolt through it, which you can tighten to create a seal on the end of the axle tube. Here's an example -

View attachment 234466

They should only be a few bucks and provide peace of mind, especially if you have to cross water with a missing shaft to get home.
That looks really useful. For a lot of things actually. Where to purchase?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
That looks really useful. For a lot of things actually. Where to purchase?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

There's lots of different styles so it's worth shopping around. You'll also want to measure the inside diameter of your axle tube unless you can find it somewhere on the internet. You want the plug to go in easily, but still have some room to expand before it fills up the tube end.

Here's a link to a Grainger one and I like their website because it lists the Min and Max diameter for each size. This 2.5" plug is <$25 - Low Pressure 2-1/2" Mechanical Pipe Plug, Rubber

This one also has a small nut exposed on the end, but some styles have large wingnuts, etc that could interfere with other components.

desertrunner

Subscribed!!!
One thing that actually happened to my buddy at moab he drug his tie rod on ledge bending it totally under the diff leaving his front tires totally bowed in. What we did was with a basic sockets a metal hammer to get it off, did the best we could with my 4dr running it over to get it straight ish then re attached it adjusted the toe then took a ratchet strap and ran it around the tie rod and diff to keep it from bowing when he turned. Got us through the rest of the trail and was stable at 60 on the highway back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
So that it's clear, to me, the above listed are "basic tools" that every Jeeper should be carrying with them.

I usually carry a Wayolife and a JeepFan on almost all trail runs. I've found it beneficial to have a good spotter or two so that you don't get into before-mentioned situations in the first place. And if something does happen, also a good idea to be with folks much smarter and more knowledgeable. :yup: [emoji41][emoji23]

I usually carry a Wayolife and a JeepFan on almost all trail runs. I've found it beneficial to have a good spotter or two so that you don't get into before-mentioned situations in the first place. And if something does happen, also a good idea to be with folks much smarter and more knowledgeable. :yup: [emoji41][emoji23]

LOL, well this is a good thread for those of us that don't have either of those tools at our disposal on the trails!

JAGS

Hooked
LOL, well this is a good thread for those of us that don't have either of those tools at our disposal on the trails!

That's mean. [emoji6] There are many knowledgeable folks on here from all over the country.

My point if you want to call it that is that as a newb, I can have all the tools in my Jeep. In fact, I have just about every one mentioned so far. But, if I get in over my head, they won't matter for shit. Most newbs would be screwed. And I won't be able to pull up this thread when I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Don't get me wrong, it a cool thread idea. And I'll be following along trying to learn with everyone else. [emoji106]

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Plus you don't need tools or a welding machine!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's mean. [emoji6] There are many knowledgeable folks on here from all over the country.

My point if you want to call it that is that as a newb, I can have all the tools in my Jeep. In fact, I have just about every one mentioned so far. But, if I get in over my head, they won't matter for shit. Most newbs would be screwed. And I won't be able to pull up this thread when I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Don't get me wrong, it a cool thread idea. And I'll be following along trying to learn with everyone else. [emoji106]

No worries, I totally get your point. I have most of the tools as well. But I, like yourself, would be screwed in the above mentioned harsh situations. I don't do any serious off roading either unless I'm surrounded by other wheelers that are way more knowledgeable than I am. I guess how to remedy all of this is to build the un-breakable jeep lol.

JAGS

Hooked
No worries, I totally get your point. I have most of the tools as well. But I, like yourself, would be screwed in the above mentioned harsh situations. I don't do any serious off roading either unless I'm surrounded by other wheelers that are way more knowledgeable than I am. I guess how to remedy all of this is to build the un-breakable jeep lol.

From my vantage point, the more you build your Jeep, the more challenges you want to face. But yeah, would be nice to build something bombproof.

jesse3638

Hooked
Correct. I say to bring them just in case someone in your group is carrying a spare 1310 or 1350 with them. This is something that just happened over the summer on the Rubicon. If you have no spare and your best option is to just pull the shaft, the sockets won't do you any good.
Hey I resemble that remark!..haha. I actually used an 1 5/16 on the rear when I did the install but if I remember correctly didn't the 32mm fit the rear better than the 1 1/4?
Those were the first two people to turn wrenches on my jeep other than myself and the dealership. Couldn't have asked for a better set of hands along with everyone else who helped. Especially Aspenkid with the new 1350..;)
From my vantage point, the more you build your Jeep, the more challenges you want to face. But yeah, would be nice to build something bombproof.
That's why I believe everyone should do as much wrenching and installing as they can. That way when (not if) something goes wrong you have a better understanding as how to fix it.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Hey I resemble that remark!..haha. I actually used an 1 5/16 on the rear when I did the install but if I remember correctly didn't the 32mm fit the rear better than the 1 1/4?

Those were the first two people to turn wrenches on my jeep other than myself and the dealership. Couldn't have asked for a better set of hands along with everyone else who helped. Especially Aspenkid with the new 1350..;)

That's why I believe everyone should do as much wrenching and installing as they can. That way when (not if) something goes wrong you have a better understanding as how to fix it.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

I need to learn. I just have a big learning curve. Lol.

Top Bottom