Patagonia M/T

JBF

Are you sure the Patagonia’s are made in China? I believe they are made by Nanking, which is a Taiwanese company that makes a variety of car and truck tires. Their website says they manufacture tires in both Taiwan and China, so that’s why I’m wondering about the Patagonia’s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tireco confirmed with me when I bought mine that they are made in China. Nankang is the production company in Taiwan that outsourced to China to make them.

Sounds a little scary when one low cost tire company outsources to China. :cheesy:

fiend

Caught the Bug

Look on the sidewall of one and tell me what it says. If I’m wrong, I’ll stand corrected.

If I had access to those, I’d take a look. But I don’t so I can’t. Maybe someone who has them can let us all know.

If you ask the Chinese, they are the same.

Ask someone from Taiwan and they will say they are independent.

Either way, I will buy an American made tire if I can

Taiwan and China definitely are not the same thing. Taiwan is a democratic and free country. China is a communist totalitarian state. Just because they are both populated by ethnic Chinese doesn’t make them the same. It’s like not buying a Samsung because you don’t like North Korea. Misguided sentiment.

Considering their huge population, I'm not sure if I'd trust rubber from either country.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I don’t know what population size has to do with tire quality. Anyway, Taiwan has 23 million people, less than California.

jdofmemi

Taiwan and China definitely are not the same thing. Taiwan is a democratic and free country. China is a communist totalitarian state. Just because they are both populated by ethnic Chinese doesn’t make them the same. It’s like not buying a Samsung because you don’t like North Korea. Misguided sentiment.

I get that part, and my statement says as much, but the mainland Chinese don't agree.

BaddestCross

trailraider

I never understand peoples logic, they always want the cheapest tires and brakes.

the two most important safety items on your vehicle. I think they just don't understand the amount of engineering that goes into a tire. all that technology in the tire basically translates to 6 square inches of contact surface on the pavement per tire. that's all that's holding your vehicle to to the road. now put a cheapo tire on going around a corner , that's a lot of momentum on those 4 little contact patches.

but hey , put a cheap tire on .

fiend

Caught the Bug

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, interesting. You’d think the cost to ship big heavy assed tires across the ocean would largely negate cost advantages to manufacturing in Asia. Among others, Toyo/Nitto, a Japanese company, has figured that out.

Unlike Japan, China is a COMMUNIST country with a government that subsidies their manufacturing industries.

A.J.

So remember when the Chinese embargoes happened? Tire companies like Nankang had to find a way around it so they opened plants in other places. Lots of tires started coming out of Indonesia. GT aka Gaja Tungal and several others. Many of them use more nylon in their casings and narrower steel belts. Cheaper construction but could still meet speed ratings and handling indexes. They were however more prone to vibration problems and out of round conditions as well as tread separations and poor mileage. Long story short is cheaper materials and construction. Some of the things however can work well in off road applications where heat and speed ratings aren't as important. They make for pretty tough casings for semi truck and off road tires. Makes sense they might work out ok in the larger sizes for off road use. Smaller sizes with less cavity will be more affected by heat so while the might be ok for off road and short trips summer heat and freeway speeds will probably be their downfall. They are a mostly bias ply tire with enough steel in them to qualify as a radial.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom