$120 1980 CJ7 build

daddyusmaximus

So I haven't even started yet, and I'm exhausted. Spent the last 3 days cleaning out the shed, and garage moving crap around so I'll have plenty of work space. This is a huge undertaking. Never taking a vehicle down to the frame before. Have to try not to get overwhelmed. I'm almost there getting the garage ready. Very sore though. I hate being a cripple. Had to get my nephews over to help. Tough to keep them focused too. My sister-in-law doesn't really make them toe the line like their dad does, and of course he's always at work, nor does he like to but heads with her.

I have plenty of counter/workbench space now... I think.

I have 1 plastic and 2 steel shelves to put all the parts on.

Haven't gone through my containers of nuts, bolts, screws, nails... in years, but hell, I'm just about good enough. Won't need them for teardown anyhow.

Got 2 of my 3 work lights going. Both floor jacks up. One was low on oil and does leak down, but it will lift. Yes, I have 4 jack stands.

Cherry picker works. Engine stand works.

Got some containers and Sharpies to label parts. Going to take LOTS of photos to help me remember how things go.

However, my garage stereo took a dump. I had to take my living room stereo out there. I hardly ever get to listen to it in the house anyway with the wife watching tv. No... I can NOT spend a lot of time out there working and not listen to my oldies.

Got a few loose ends to tighten up, some household chores to catch up on, then I can start in on teardown. Hopefully within the week. It will still be slow, everything with me is (except my temper) but it will feel nice to get out there even if it's only for a shot time every couple days.

The CJ5 that I'm using the powertrain out of is already in the garage, and I've been having to work around it as it's already got it's front axle partially dissassembled. I was going to repair it, prior to finding the CJ7 to build. This will make teardown rather difficult as the roll cage is just about touching the rafters as she sits. I can't roll her around on 3 wheels, so she ain't coming out on the driveway to get the body off. I may have to get a set of those car dollies, take the remaining 3 tires off, then set the axles down on the dollies.

daddyusmaximus

I've been having a hit or miss kinda deal on posting photos lately with photobucket going crazy demanding high fees. I signed up for Imgur. One minute I got it figured out, the next, I can't do it. Beside my mobility issues, I also have big time memory problems thanks to a TBI. All part of the same IED attack. That's one reason why I'm worried about starting a project this involved. I'll be taking a lot of photos and videos to help me remember how things go. That gave me the idea to do a youtube video.

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13.3333px;">

Last edited:

holliewood61

Good to see another cj build on here, and you got one of those deals i could only dream about. One thing i could suggest is to leave that thing in a spring under configuration. One it is a lot less trouble to set up. Two, a spring under setup really helps control axle wrap. Three, the steering setup is a lot easier to tackle with the springs in the stock location. Thanks for your service, and if you have any questions dont hesitate to shoot me a message, ive been doing the cj thing for a long time.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

daddyusmaximus

Good to see another cj build on here, and you got one of those deals i could only dream about. One thing i could suggest is to leave that thing in a spring under configuration. One it is a lot less trouble to set up. Two, a spring under setup really helps control axle wrap. Three, the steering setup is a lot easier to tackle with the springs in the stock location. Thanks for your service, and if you have any questions dont hesitate to shoot me a message, ive been doing the cj thing for a long time.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Problems with spring under...

#1. I need her to go up a bit, but not ride rough. I have read a lot on using YJ springs wit a SOA lift. The softness of the YJ springs are often called for as not just flexing better, but also softer riding. Haven't heard of any YJ swaps staying spring under. Actually, my first thought was full blown 3 link/4 link coilover swap. I still want that, but the cost and complexity may be a bit too much on me. I have been researching it though to see if I can pull it off. Main thing is that I want to continue to drive on offroad adventures, and I want an old school Jeep, but I really need the softer ride. I have severe back and hip issues thanks to an IED explosion in Iraq. I will also be getting a suspension seat.

#2. The stock axles. The stock axles are the typical narrow CJ tip over axles... my donor axles on the old CJ5 came from a full size Dodge truck and the extra width makes them very stable, even with the SOA. They are also stronger then the stock Dana 30/AMC20 in the CJ7 and the strong Mopsr 360 going in it (out of the same Dodge truck) would probably kill the Jeep axles. Also note that often I will be running loaded down will camping gear (overlanding gear for all you rich people) so combine a decent load with decent horsepower with lockers and decent size tires...

madstiles

Lmfao @ "overlanding gear for all you rich people". When I first saw the word overlanding I was like WTF is that and had to Google it. Next thought was why don't they just say camping ...😅

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

daddyusmaximus

Lmfao @ "overlanding gear for all you rich people". When I first saw the word overlanding I was like WTF is that and had to Google it. Next thought was why don't they just say camping ...😅

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app
It was always "camping" to me. Then I went into the Army and we would "bivouac" or set up an "assembly area". Now it's "overlanding" English has got to be one of the most confusing languages for foreigners to try and figure out... We can't get it right half the time.

daddyusmaximus

Started tear down of the CJ5 today. Have to save that Dodge 360! Man, hot out. Yes, 75 is hot. Need to get a more powerful fan for the garage.

Dog house off.jpg

daddyusmaximus

More time spent taking parts off the CJ5 today.

I got the side steps off.
Got the twin stick cable shifter off the T-case.
Fire extinguisher came out.
Radio antenna mount came off.
Got my center console (20mm ammo box) out.
Salvaged a few electric parts from the dash.
Ended up getting too sore to finish getting the tach out, and left it hanging by the wires for the night, but it will come out tomorrow after my VFW district meeting.

I'm not skilled, and I'm not fast, but I'm not doing too bad for an old fat cripple... I'm having fun jamming to my oldies and wrenching on my Jeep.

daddyusmaximus

STILL couldn't get the tach off unless I wanted to cut the wires. Have to take the dash off. Of course I can't do that because the 6 point cage is in the way of the outside bolts to get the dash off. So I spent tonight wrestling with the old bolts getting the cage undone. At least tomorrow I can get the dash off. I'd have to anyway to get the gauges out and the MSD box out as I can't get up in to where they are mounted either... Hope to be pulling the motor this week.

daddyusmaximus

Seat out, roll cage out, dash off, gauges out, MSD box out, windshield off, dash back on.

It's fun salvaging old parts.

Maybe not so much fun when you spend 5 songs getting a single bolt off... with the open end of a wrench... left handed... with your back and shoulder cussing you out.

BaddestCross

Seat out, roll cage out, dash off, gauges out, MSD box out, windshield off, dash back on.

It's fun salvaging old parts.

Maybe not so much fun when you spend 5 songs getting a single bolt off... with the open end of a wrench... left handed... with your back and shoulder cussing you out.
Lol. I can totally relate to the back and shoulder bitching at you! Glad to hear you're making progress. You should post up some pics so we can all follow along.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom