18/59 vs 19/60 4dr springs on a 2 dr & longer shocks question.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug

Ok I can post pics but I'm not home anymore, had to go to the mother in laws [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Same I really want to see pics after the 4dr Springs and 1/4 went on mine I like the look but I still have a 90lb warn PowerPlant to put on that I'm thinking I'm gonna want more in the front so pics would be appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I went through the same struggle you guys are going through right now. I have my 2 dr on evo leveling kit springs (2" plushrides) in the front, and 18/59 4 door springs PLUS the little 3/4" spacer in the rear. Im really happy with how level I sit but please note, i run spareless and my big full width is aluminum so its not as heavy as is looks. I run a 3" lift shock in the front and a 2.5" lift shock in the rear because rockstars. I took the time and measured for shocks and all and then placed my order. No unseated coils at full flex. JKS brakeline extension brackets and i currently run 3" bunpstops to clear 37s when im ready (why take them off to eventually put them back on) i EASILY clear my 35s and like i said, have full intentions on running 37s on this kit. I love how low my jeep is and the LCG feels so planted wheeling.

My biggest advice if you run a similar setup to mine is to go on amazon and order a 10 pack of rubber I e Hockey pucks. Find a place to flex out, grab a tube of liquid nails, and your hockey pucks. Add one all the way around, test, if you need a second puck, add it.

In my particular case, i ran two pucks on my 4 door with a similar setup so you can expect to run right around two pucks at each corner. I really wish evo would throw together a more complete kit for the two doors running the leveling kit because i did add quite a few things to make me jeep perform better with this kit. Its moreless a franken lift.

I bought my jeep with a 3" rubicon express lift on it so most of the hardware i left on it. Before replacing to the leveling kit. So i run rear sway bar links in the front and longer links in the rear along with a trackbar bracket in the rear. I debated taking these things off, but im just too damn happy with what i got. And if it aint broke dont fix it. Heres some pics for you guys

IMG_1482638098.887468.jpg

IMG_1482638132.713346.jpg

IMG_1482638168.300702.jpg

IMG_1482638208.389323.jpg

IMG_1482638223.510132.jpg

And these are with the new longer shocks, the true capability of a little leveling kit lol

IMG_1482638318.181182.jpg

IMG_1482638340.824087.jpg

IMG_1482638365.362074.jpg

IMG_1482638386.348316.jpg

IMG_1482638418.768337.jpg

JKbrick

Gregmort13, do you mean you run a 3" lift shock in the front and a 2.5" lift shock in the rear? I have rockstars also and run Fox 1" to 3" lift shocks is what the receipt says. JKS swaybar links from my old lift kit. I took my 3" bumpstops off and put two hockey pucks in my front EVO coils, haven't done rear bumpstops yet. Which trackbar bracket do you run in the rear and is your front trackbar and drag link stock and in their stock locations?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Gregmort13, do you mean you run a 3" lift shock in the front and a 2.5" lift shock in the rear? I have rockstars also and run Fox 1" to 3" lift shocks is what the receipt says. JKS swaybar links from my old lift kit. I took my 3" bumpstops off and put two hockey pucks in my front EVO coils, haven't done rear bumpstops yet. Which trackbar bracket do you run in the rear and is your front trackbar and drag link stock and in their stock locations?

Yes, 3" lift front shocks 2.5" lift rear shocks. I run Rancho 5000Xs and if you got to their website, it lists all the specific collapsed and extended measurements for each model shock. I then took my measurements at work oneday with my rubicon shocks disconnected to see how much more i could push my limits without unseating my coils. Basically this was my thought process, it worked for me, not sure if it logically plays out but like i said, worked for me.

Front: my rubicon shocks were 19.5" collapsed at full stuff and i measured i have another 1.5" of uptravel before my tire rubbed my wheel well. So my goal collapsed length was at most 18" for the front. I then flexed out my jeep on some concrete barriers the opposite way and measured my extended length to be around 25" with the shock unbolted from the axle. Grabbed my coil spring and tugged as hard as i could, it remained seated.

Rear: basically same thing but you have to remember to account for the rockstars. My rubi shocks were 19" collapsed and i had a 2.5" gap between my tire and wheel well. So my goal collapsed length was at most 16.5". Well then the rockstars move the bottom mount up 1.5" so technically my goal collapsed length was around 15". I knew that the rear would be tricky, and i would have to play with the bump stops to stop the jeep from coming down hard on the rear shock and damaging it from bottoming it out. So i then flipped around and played with the rear extended lengths. I unbolted the shock from the axle again and tried to flex it out as much as i could without unseating the coil. Coincidentally, i got just under 25" again with my 4 door springs and spacer.

So this is where i went to ranchos website and basically just sifted through until i found the numbers that fit the best and got super lucky and found them damn near dead on.

Front: Rancho RS55329
Collapsed: 15.5"
Extended: 25"

Rear: Rancho RS55330
Collapsed: 16"
Extended: 25.5"

I was actually nervous about the rear because with the rockstars it technically makes the extended length of the shock around 27" which i was sure would of unseated the coil, but i got really lucky and it works out perfectly. If it didnt work out, i would of tried a little big bigger coilspring spacer then the 3/4" that comes with the leveling kit and the hopefully would have made up the difference.

As for my rear trackbar bracket, its just the rubicon express on that came with the lift on my jeep. Im honestly not sure if you really even need it, i was just lazy and didnt wanna take it off my jeep, it felt fine with it on there.

My front suspension is all stock as the rubicon express lift used an adjustable trackbar which was actually giving the jeep death wobble when i bought it. So i just took that out an put a stock one in. It hasn't given me a problem. It isnt a priority, but ill eventually do a drag link flip to help my steering geometry and see if it makes a difference.

I wrote this reply by memory, not sure if my measurements memory were dead on, if you check out my build thread, Im fairly sure i regularly updated when undergoing the new shock process.

desertrunner

Here are crappy pics in the garage, I can't get it outside my drag link isn't hooked up at the moment. This is EVO leveling kit front springs with factory 4door 59 rear coils no spacer

You running a steel front bumper and a winch up front? It does look like it's still sitting a hair nose high.

I already cut my stock front fenders so mine would have even more room up front

Sent from my SM-T810 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

You running a steel front bumper and a winch up front? It does look like it's still sitting a hair nose high.

I already cut my stock front fenders so mine would have even more room up front

Sent from my SM-T810 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes an EVO quarter pounder and a warn 9.5xd winch, it measures 1/2" high in the front according to the rock rails. I want to see if the springs settle before I order spacers. I found a set of all 4 fenders for $15 on cl to cut when I get tires

desertrunner

Yes an EVO quarter pounder and a warn 9.5xd winch, it measures 1/2" high in the front according to the rock rails. I want to see if the springs settle before I order spacers. I found a set of all 4 fenders for $15 on cl to cut when I get tires

Are those just the stock rubi tires? Yeah it will look great once you get bigger tires under there. I only elected to go 33s instead of 35s so I think it would still be a little too tall for my tire choice

desertrunner

Yes, 3" lift front shocks 2.5" lift rear shocks. I run Rancho 5000Xs and if you got to their website, it lists all the specific collapsed and extended measurements for each model shock. I then took my measurements at work oneday with my rubicon shocks disconnected to see how much more i could push my limits without unseating my coils. Basically this was my thought process, it worked for me, not sure if it logically plays out but like i said, worked for me.

Front: my rubicon shocks were 19.5" collapsed at full stuff and i measured i have another 1.5" of uptravel before my tire rubbed my wheel well. So my goal collapsed length was at most 18" for the front. I then flexed out my jeep on some concrete barriers the opposite way and measured my extended length to be around 25" with the shock unbolted from the axle. Grabbed my coil spring and tugged as hard as i could, it remained seated.

Rear: basically same thing but you have to remember to account for the rockstars. My rubi shocks were 19" collapsed and i had a 2.5" gap between my tire and wheel well. So my goal collapsed length was at most 16.5". Well then the rockstars move the bottom mount up 1.5" so technically my goal collapsed length was around 15". I knew that the rear would be tricky, and i would have to play with the bump stops to stop the jeep from coming down hard on the rear shock and damaging it from bottoming it out. So i then flipped around and played with the rear extended lengths. I unbolted the shock from the axle again and tried to flex it out as much as i could without unseating the coil. Coincidentally, i got just under 25" again with my 4 door springs and spacer.

So this is where i went to ranchos website and basically just sifted through until i found the numbers that fit the best and got super lucky and found them damn near dead on.

Front: Rancho RS55329
Collapsed: 15.5"
Extended: 25"

Rear: Rancho RS55330
Collapsed: 16"
Extended: 25.5"

I was actually nervous about the rear because with the rockstars it technically makes the extended length of the shock around 27" which i was sure would of unseated the coil, but i got really lucky and it works out perfectly. If it didnt work out, i would of tried a little big bigger coilspring spacer then the 3/4" that comes with the leveling kit and the hopefully would have made up the difference.

As for my rear trackbar bracket, its just the rubicon express on that came with the lift on my jeep. Im honestly not sure if you really even need it, i was just lazy and didnt wanna take it off my jeep, it felt fine with it on there.

My front suspension is all stock as the rubicon express lift used an adjustable trackbar which was actually giving the jeep death wobble when i bought it. So i just took that out an put a stock one in. It hasn't given me a problem. It isnt a priority, but ill eventually do a drag link flip to help my steering geometry and see if it makes a difference.

I wrote this reply by memory, not sure if my measurements memory were dead on, if you check out my build thread, Im fairly sure i regularly updated when undergoing the new shock process.

I am going to do this exact same thing when I get home from vacation to measure out some new shocks. Quick question though where did you take your measurements from? For the front I'm guessing the top of the inside where the threaded part of the shock goes in and then to center of the lower mount hole? Also just curious how you found out the rubi shocks were 19" collapsed or if you just measured it out? Might save me a little time if I can just assume mine are 19 collapsed as well.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug

I am going to do this exact same thing when I get home from vacation to measure out some new shocks. Quick question though where did you take your measurements from? For the front I'm guessing the top of the inside where the threaded part of the shock goes in and then to center of the lower mount hole? Also just curious how you found out the rubi shocks were 19" collapsed or if you just measured it out? Might save me a little time if I can just assume mine are 19 collapsed as well.

Yes thats where i measured my front shocks from. And i work at a shipyard so i have a ton of big shit to flex on. Basically just stuffed my tire as much as i could and measured the best i could. Its safe to assume the rubi shocks are 18-19" collapsed

Honestly when i think it through, they might have gone smaller, thats just where my tire/bumpstop stopped me.

Last edited:

desertrunner

Yes thats where i measured my front shocks from. And i work at a shipyard so i have a ton of big shit to flex on. Basically just stuffed my tire as much as i could and measured the best i could. Its safe to assume the rubi shocks are 18-19" collapsed

Honestly when i think it through, they might have gone smaller, thats just where my tire/bumpstop stopped me.

Gottcha I'm gonna hit up my auto hobby shop on the base I'm stationed they have a frame lift I'm gonna use just a floor jack under the tire and see how much I can cycle it that way.

I think my limfac is going to be my stock brake lines. I had to unbolt the hard line from the fame to get the new coils in without pulling on them too hard.

desertrunner

Just wanted to give a quick update to this thread. So I started pulling apart my front end getting ready for my PR44 and I figured I would measure some stuff out while I'm at it. So I have a 2dr on 4dr springs and shocks from a 4dr Rubicon.

Stock shocks measure out to be 14.75" collapsed and 23" extended.

While testing for longer shocks this is what I found.

At 23.5" the stock break line with the stock retainer on the coil perch got tight.

At 25" and stock break lines out of the retainer my coil was still seated well and everything looked good.

At 26.5" the coil was a bit loose and my stock rear swaybar links (I have those up front with a evo no limits) got tight

At 27" the coil could come out with a little pulling and my swaybar links won't reach the axle.

Now on the compression side I was limited with my floor jack and Jack stands but I was able to stuff it up to 17" and with that my 295 coopers had 2" clearance from everything it might rub on. And I had 3" of space before I was at full bump with only the stock bump stops, I didn't add any for now.

So with all that said IF I can stay at this height with the 4dr coils (1" of lift in front) when my PR44 arrives, I can easily fit a 1-3" lift shock in there as most brands I looked at measure those 15-25" as posted above.

If my PR44 unlimited won't set up correctly on only 1" of lift I am going to toss in a set of 2" plush rides which should net me 3" of lift up front. When looking at most shocks made for 3-5" of lift they measure about 17-27" now the 27" droop I should be good to go however the 17" compressed I am going to have to add a bit of bump stop and only have 3" ish of up travel so we will see how this plays out but I wanted to share what I measured for the front of my jk

Top Bottom