2010 jk 3.8 engine knock

Gadget

Caught the Bug
My wife said her engine is knocking a little bit when she goes uphill, I'm out of town for another week so I'm gathering some ideas of what to look for. I think maybe gas quality, the 3.8 engine has almost 93k on it and has gotten an oil change every 5k since it was new, we have been using Mobil one synth for the last 3 changes, doesn't seem to be burning much if any. Any ideas or is it time to go in for a tune up?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Journeyman

It's been stupid hot in our area also and I've definitely noticed a drop in power as the temps rise. I also picked up some bad gas that my 3.6 didn't quite like and it caused a bit of pinging at low torque type rpm's. That went away when I fueled up with some better quality gas.

WJCO

Meme King
Being the symptoms only occur uphill, it's likely pinging. If you can, pick up a can of BG 44K and follow the instructions. That stuff really works and cleans out the carbon. I've seen numerous vehicles with pinging get fixed with this stuff.

Slimebones

Being the symptoms only occur uphill, it's likely pinging. If you can, pick up a can of BG 44K and follow the instructions. That stuff really works and cleans out the carbon. I've seen numerous vehicles with pinging get fixed with this stuff.

I also am a believer in BG 44K. Cleans injectors too. Use on a regular basis and you will not have a carbon build up in combustion chamber.

jeeeep

Hooked
My wife said her engine is knocking a little bit when she goes uphill, I'm out of town for another week so I'm gathering some ideas of what to look for. I think maybe gas quality, the 3.8 engine has almost 93k on it and has gotten an oil change every 5k since it was new, we have been using Mobil one synth for the last 3 changes, doesn't seem to be burning much if any. Any ideas or is it time to go in for a tune up?

What others have recommended - BG 44K, if you can find a repair shop that does the full treatment, I'd recommend it.

I had the BG 44K treatment done on my 2010 and it made an immediate difference.

Running a tank of premium will help in the short term as well as locking out OD on hills. The transmission on the 3.8 has such a large gap from 3rd to OD it tends to lug more often than not - even more if it's not on stock tires.

At 93k miles you may want to take a look at the plugs/wires, they really don't have anything to tune since it's all module controlled so save your money taking it in for a tune-up

If you change plugs/wires and for a permanent solution to ping, I'd recommend upgrading the coils and wires to the FirePower Ignition Kit. Best upgrade I've made to my 3.8 to get rid of ping and smooth out the idle.

Stick with the stock plug type, I've tried other plugs and most made the engine run worse.

I still use BG 44k about every 3 months because ethanol sucks, but at 150k miles my 3.8 still pulls strong.

http://performancedistributors.com/product/jeep-07-11-firepower-ignition-kit/

RebelconJk

What others have recommended - BG 44K, if you can find a repair shop that does the full treatment, I'd recommend it.

I had the BG 44K treatment done on my 2010 and it made an immediate difference.

Running a tank of premium will help in the short term as well as locking out OD on hills. The transmission on the 3.8 has such a large gap from 3rd to OD it tends to lug more often than not - even more if it's not on stock tires.

At 93k miles you may want to take a look at the plugs/wires, they really don't have anything to tune since it's all module controlled so save your money taking it in for a tune-up

If you change plugs/wires and for a permanent solution to ping, I'd recommend upgrading the coils and wires to the FirePower Ignition Kit. Best upgrade I've made to my 3.8 to get rid of ping and smooth out the idle.

Stick with the stock plug type, I've tried other plugs and most made the engine run worse.

I still use BG 44k about every 3 months because ethanol sucks, but at 150k miles my 3.8 still pulls strong.

http://performancedistributors.com/product/jeep-07-11-firepower-ignition-kit/

What plugs do you run with the FirePower Ignition Kit?

jeeeep

Hooked
What plugs do you run with the FirePower Ignition Kit?

Stock platinum plugs - Autolite or Champion - I use the platinum as recommended by performance distributors not the double platinum

I've tried the double platinum-no difference, E3 - these were overall horrible, Iridium about the same as E3, V-plugs smeh...

overall all, other plugs just made me poorer but I wanted to see if any of them would make a noticeable difference and they did not.

With the exception of the E3 (instant bad all around) I ran the others plug for a month and found the platinum plugs worked best.

Top Bottom