2011-2013 JK mirror recall

So why were the mirrors even recalled?

Something about the connector corroding and causing a potential fire. (I wonder if the mirror drill mod helps the issue :idontknow: :thinking: )

Since all I see out my rear window is a tire... I am ignoring the current "fix" to unplug the mirror. To me, the visability reduction is a greater risk than the fire. If a fire starts, I hope to have enough time to rip the door off and chuck it in a ditch. (My pin bolts have never been back in once removed the first time, and connector has been modified to unplug easier.)

pastorwug

Here's what the Recall says:
The power side view mirrors on your vehicle may experience a loss of right and/or left heated power mirror function. Water may travel along the heated power mirror wiring harness and into the heated power mirror connector(s) and the formation of a resistive bridge between the power and ground terminals. A resistive bridge between the power and ground electrical terminals in the heated power mirror connector(s) could cause an electrical fire without warning.

Chrysler intendds to repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). However, the parts required to provide a permanent remedy for this condition are currently not available. Chrysler is making every effort to obtain these parts as quickly as possible. Chrysler will contact you again by mail, with a follow-up recall notice, when the remedy parts are available.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Sounds like something that drilling the mirror coupled with some silicone on the outside of the plug and dielectric grease on the inside of the plug can prevent water from getting in and causing the problem. Boy that is a long sentence.

rumble

Got the recall today as well......meh not pulling the fuse either.

Something about the connector corroding and causing a potential fire. (I wonder if the mirror drill mod helps the issue :idontknow: :thinking: )

Since all I see out my rear window is a tire... I am ignoring the current "fix" to unplug the mirror. To me, the visability reduction is a greater risk than the fire. If a fire starts, I hope to have enough time to rip the door off and chuck it in a ditch. (My pin bolts have never been back in once removed the first time, and connector has been modified to unplug easier.)

Sorry to change the subject but do tell about this connector mod.......lol

Sorry to change the subject but do tell about this connector mod.......lol

I filed the locking tab so it takes very little to pull it off. I have found the pin and seal friction to be more than adequate for keeping the connector in place. May change in time but it has worked for two years!

rumble

Always thought that it would be sufficient enough without the lock tab....may have to give it a shot

Panda

Kitty and I both got notices, nothing like having to worry about your jeep burst into flames :grayno:

I just got my 2nd notice in the mail for this recall.

Does anyone know if they are actually fixing this issue or not yet?

I'm not taking it in to only be disconnected. Truth be told, I don't plan to take it in anyway and actually am interested in what the "fix" is so I can do it myself.

toxicwaste29

When I first got my jeep a couple years ago I say a mod where a hold was drilled in the bottom of the mirror mount on the door. This lets the water drain. I've done that and I don't have any plans to take mine in. After a rain you see the water coming out easily

Buster3479

2012 Heated Mirror Recall

Scheduled next Friday morning to get it done. I was told I'd have to take off the half doors and reinstall the full doors. The scheduler said they'd need both the doors and Jeep to do it. The scheduler couldn't tell me any of what they'd do.

Do they really need both? If any of you have had this done, what are they changing? When complete, will the wiring harness on my half doors still work when I reinstall them later that day, or will I need to update that harness too?

Thanks, leaning on the community a little due to the lack of info from the stealership.

There was a recall on the mirror because of some of them short circuiting with the possibility of catching fire. Haven't had mine done yet.

WJCO

Meme King
I ran my vin# says I have no recalls?? Good to go I assume.

Likely. When I gave the dealer the VIN, they were that ones that told me we had the open recall for the mirror wiring. Do you have heated mirrors? I think it only applies to those.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Likely. When I gave the dealer the VIN, they were that ones that told me we had the open recall for the mirror wiring. Do you have heated mirrors? I think it only applies to those.

Yeah I have the "winter" package.

KSCRUDE

My 11 has heated mirrors and I received many letters and emails from Jeep about this. I very rarely turned them on when I had it in Kansas as it set inside. Now it’s in Vegas and and I never turn them on. Probably no power to the wiring if the switch is off. Unless they are wired ass backwards and the switch just supply’s the ground to give you power and heat. I decided it wasn’t worth the trouble and lord only knows what the clowns at the dealership would fuck up when they r and r the inter door panels. So I just ignored all their notices. My Jeep has never been to any shop other then mine and I plan to keep it that way. Never lost any sleep over it anyway. Not going to start now.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I decided it wasn’t worth the trouble and lord only knows what the clowns at the dealership would fuck up when they r and r the inter door panels. So I just ignored all their notices. My Jeep has never been to any shop other then mine and I plan to keep it that way.

I totally share in your mentality as much as possible as well. I hate taking our vehicles to shops.

Top Bottom