2013 & 2014 Transfer Case

Voodoo Actual

Did they listen to the noise?

No. They weren't interested in listening. They basically said, that's nice, and ignored it.

I called Chrysler. Now I have an appointment for them to listen to the noise....

Could the weak link be the Auto?

Last edited:

Right Rudder

Approaching 20k miles on my 13 JKUR now with the automatic and I haven't heard anything like this except for the one occasion when i tried to go from 4H to 4L while rolling. It's been in and out of all the transfer case settings at least on a weekly basis.

Dealer, now!

Your dealer is freakin terrible if they don't want to listen to your new, under warranty vehicle, mine was pretty damn patient while waiting for my water pump squeak to come alive.

Voodoo Actual

Approaching 20k miles on my 13 JKUR now with the automatic and I haven't heard anything like this except for the one occasion when i tried to go from 4H to 4L while rolling. It's been in and out of all the transfer case settings at least on a weekly basis.

Dealer, now!

Your dealer is freakin terrible if they don't want to listen to your new, under warranty vehicle, mine was pretty damn patient while waiting for my water pump squeak to come alive.

It's Rairdon's in Kirkland, WA. they are terrible. There is no reason anyone should have to deal with this.

It was just suggested to me to put the videos and experience on yelp. Good idea.

Edit:

yelp review posted.

Last edited:

Voodoo Actual

So what was the outcome or have they still not had time to look at it or listen to it?

I am being told this is completely normal and that there is no issue.

Does anyone else have these noises and does anyone else have this smell?

If you are in 4L, and you shift from P, to D, to R, to P etc, do you have any clunking or grinding noises?

JKWrang

If you are in 4L, and you shift from P, to D, to R, to P etc, do you have any clunking or grinding noises?

Stop going to that dealer. Go to another dealer.

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Technically, some mechanical noises are normal with a transfercase, however, your video doesn't seem to show anything abnormal. The "grabbing" is normal...you are basically leaving the shifter between gears and the spring tension "grabs" to the closest gear. The grinding seems to come when you are trying to shift into 4LO while standing still, which you really shouldn't do. I just hope that your jeep was perfectly fine, and some tool at the dealer is going to start taking things apart looking for a problem that isn't there, creating 10 more in his wake.

Voodoo Actual

Technically, some mechanical noises are normal with a transfercase, however, your video doesn't seem to show anything abnormal. The "grabbing" is normal...you are basically leaving the shifter between gears and the spring tension "grabs" to the closest gear. The grinding seems to come when you are trying to shift into 4LO while standing still, which you really shouldn't do. I just hope that your jeep was perfectly fine, and some tool at the dealer is going to start taking things apart looking for a problem that isn't there, creating 10 more in his wake.

I am in 4L, not shifting is to 4L. When I go into 4L I like to keep a creep going.

The shifter gets grabbed. It's not an issue of the user having no idea how to operate the vehicle.

If it's normal behavior, okay. If other people have the same symptoms, okay. If not, I'd like to know.

Now it's starting to be vague going into and out of 4H to and from 2H.

Stop going to that dealer. Go to another dealer.

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

The other dealer around here does not want to deal with it since the vehicle didn't come from them. There is one more dealer - just a long ways away so it'll be more difficult for me to get to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom