2014 JK throttle failure

metaldemon

They dealers Star Scan is a joke. When my cruise went out it couldn't even find the codes that were causing it. Had to use my Craftsman scanner to show the Tech. Then he figured out what was wrong from there. The switch was bad, but it wasn't doing it that moment so the Star Scan didn't see it in the engine controller(not the OBD II). At least this dealer fixed it.

They dealers Star Scan is a joke. When my cruise went out it couldn't even find the codes that were causing it. Had to use my Craftsman scanner to show the Tech. Then he figured out what was wrong from there. The switch was bad, but it wasn't doing it that moment so the Star Scan didn't see it in the engine controller(not the OBD II). At least this dealer fixed it.

I'm thinking you had an issue with the user, not the tool. OBD II is only a base standard that manufacturers meet. Each manufacturer adds protocols and features unique to their control. There are features that can be used for diagnostics that only a dealership can access, (when compared to off-the-shelf scanners). If a Craftsman scan tool detected the code there is really no excuse the Star Scan wouldn't provided you had a competent tech.

JKbrick

I'm thinking you had an issue with the user, not the tool. OBD II is only a base standard that manufacturers meet. Each manufacturer adds protocols and features unique to their control. There are features that can be used for diagnostics that only a dealership can access, (when compared to off-the-shelf scanners). If a Craftsman scan tool detected the code there is really no excuse the Star Scan wouldn't provided you had a competent tech.

Maybe the user (the tech) was a tool?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Maybe the user (the tech) was a tool?

Probably. We have a GM Tech II scan tool at work that was bought off a retired GM tech. It pulls a lot more out of the GM OBD systems than our $5000 Genesys scan tools do. All manufacturers have their own designated scan tools which are typically not available to the general public.

2trackin

The dealer wouldn't look at it today. Even though there was nothing in the garage when I was there. Seems like we could have pulled it in and hooked it up for a scan. The service manager was doubting what I was telling him. Even doubting the dead pedal I had on the highway after tc and esc kicked in when I hit a slick spot going up hill. Saying that if I was pushing the throttle on gas at the same time it will cut throttle. Although this may be true. I was not driving with two feet and still had no throttle after coming to a complete stop. Oh well I guess.
I actually posted about this on Jeep's Facebook page and they contacted me back right away wanting to get details over to the appropriate people.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

metaldemon

Once I plugged mine in and got the code out of the system, then when we plugged the Star Scan back in it was there. The dealer I bought the Jeep from wouldn't help me at all since there was no code on the Star Scan. At least this dealership let me show them it was there. My scanner isn't just a standard OBD II scanner. It has enhanced scan for all the modules , and running modes. It is also has a vehicle specific menu for checking stuff comes with only certain vehicles. I can read the engine, transmission, and body modules.

Once I plugged mine in and got the code out of the system, then when we plugged the Star Scan back in it was there. The dealer I bought the Jeep from wouldn't help me at all since there was no code on the Star Scan. At least this dealership let me show them it was there. My scanner isn't just a standard OBD II scanner. It has enhanced scan for all the modules , and running modes. It is also has a vehicle specific menu for checking stuff comes with only certain vehicles. I can read the engine, transmission, and body modules.

Don't confuse a code scanner with a diagnostic reader/tool. I have a MAC mentor (relabeled OTC Genisys) between the cables, adapters, and software I have thousands of $ in it. Yet when I had an odd misfire issue I had to pay Chrysler to diagnose because I didn't have all of the information I needed. The Manufacturers are not only capable of reading current codes but reading history. They are also able to read sensor information that isn't reported over OBD2. You may have a very nice scanner, but if it isn't a manufacturer specific one that has their proprietary stuff, you can't read everything. If you were able to read a code that the dealer wasn't it was from a lack of skill or effort.

FWIW: there are software packages out there that hack this and allow full open control. But it isn't cheap either. The software I used to re-tune an 01' Mustang Cobra I had was over $3k and was only good for that vehicle. I've been out of the drag racing and tuning scene for a while now so it is likely these software hacks have come down in price in the last 10 years.... :idontknow:

Top Bottom