2014 JKR 4.88 or 5.13? 37s

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Im thinking about 5.13s when i go to 35s. Is that overkill or about right? Its a 2012 manual. Does anybody know of a decent shop in houston tx area?

its going to be overkill. 4.56 or 4.88 will be best since you have a manual with 35's. 5.13 will be wayyyy to low

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
its going to be overkill. 4.56 or 4.88 will be best since you have a manual with 35's. 5.13 will be wayyyy to low

To throw some numbers behind that:

456.JPG
488.JPG
513.JPG

Only a difference of 321 rpm between the 4.56 and 5.13.

The 4.56 would give you the most stock like ride assuming you compare to 4.10's on 32" tires.

410.JPG

I agree with Cozdude, I'd stick with 4.56 to keep a stock like ride, but if you do a lot of crawling offroad you could step up to the 4.88's for a little more grunt with minimal trade off in gas mileage.

all gears are made by the same company in china or korea. if you look there is a stamp on them all the same. eddie said before just look for the lowest priced ones.

Okay, I cringe every time I read this comment about a component. Just because it is made in the same country, same factory, or even on the same line doesn't mean they are built to the same standards. Each manufacturer imposes little differences in the manufacturing process. For example; ring gear A and B are made on the same line. But Brand A is heated to a different temp and cooled at a different rate than brand B there might even be some differences in the coating and or finishing processes. All because Brand A or B feels that it makes their product better for one reason or another.

All I'm saying is that a correlation of quality should not be drawn solely by where a product is manufactured or other products that are manufactured there.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now ;)

David1tontj

I'm looking at jumping up to 37's in a couple of months and re gearing as well. My question is what do you look for in gears, and what brand. It seems that most go with Yukon, but a couple shops around here are telling me to go with G2. Anyone have any experience with the G2, or do i just go with the Yukons. Btw, I'm running a 2013 auto

I run g2s front and rear an they seem great.. No excessive gear noise (though that can be the install)

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Fishtale

To throw some numbers behind that:

View attachment 62089
View attachment 62090
View attachment 62091

Only a difference of 321 rpm between the 4.56 and 5.13.

The 4.56 would give you the most stock like ride assuming you compare to 4.10's on 32" tires.

View attachment 62092

I agree with Cozdude, I'd stick with 4.56 to keep a stock like ride, but if you do a lot of crawling offroad you could step up to the 4.88's for a little more grunt with minimal trade off in gas mileage.

Great info. Something else to consider is if you may possibly move to 37's which most do. Then 5.13's are more of a consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Great info. Something else to consider is if you may possibly move to 37's which most do. Then 5.13's are more of a consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that if 37's are a consideration then 5.13's are the way to go (that is if you have an auto) that is one reason I am taking the risk of running 5.13's in my D30. I do it cause I plan on 37's and a pr44 in the future.

Sent from my iPhone

Top Bottom