2014 JKU ESP / Traction Control "Kill Switch" question

bekel

would this let you run lockers in 4hi or even 2 the main thing I hate about my rubicon over my 94 is have to be in low range for the lockers living in the north Idaho western montana in the winter being able to engage the rear locker at a stop sign in the snow would be great

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
would this let you run lockers in 4hi or even 2 the main thing I hate about my rubicon over my 94 is have to be in low range for the lockers living in the north Idaho western montana in the winter being able to engage the rear locker at a stop sign in the snow would be great
Nope. the driver aids have nothing to do with when you can turn on the lockers. That's locked out by the transfer case switch, and ECM

JKbrick

I think you can do that with a programmer but not sure which one

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kalums

Just did it this weekend, So far So good! Leave the switch ON during the week, then flip it OFF to disable all the automatic safety crap for the trails! When you flip it back on, you have to restart the engine to reconnect the module, again, these features ARE VERY USEFUL on the highway, so don't leave it off!

I spliced into the purple wire with the light blue stripe. Though, I suspect both purple lines are communication wires (LT blue is Transmit, DK blue is receive?)
Front console snaps out, Pull the ebrake, pull the transfer case handle, pull down the tranny handle sleeve, then pull the tranny handle.
Lower console has four bolts down low, two rear, two front.

If you use my switch location, Measure down 1" from the top. My switch location ran in to the lid latch. And be sure to use a male and female connector on the purple wires, that way, if you want to remove your switch, just plug the two ends together.

View attachment 246022 View attachment 246023
So here is a picture of mine... Don't have to worry about it getting "accidentally" bumped. It works great too. Keyed switch was 9$ and change on Amazon. 1489444525030.jpg 20170313_152943.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

So here is a picture of mine... Don't have to worry about it getting "accidentally" bumped. It works great too. Keyed switch was 9$ and change on Amazon.

That...
is...
SWEET!

Ive got a keyswitch from an old computer build that never came to fruition. Oh, I have to steal this idea!

Kalums

That...
is...
SWEET!

Ive got a keyswitch from an old computer build that never came to fruition. Oh, I have to steal this idea!
One key on the key chain, one key in the dash. Then you KNOW exactly what you are doing when you shut it off... And my kids can't do it alone. 😀

Edit: btw it works Outstandingly! Got out in a dirt parking lot up here by one of the I17 Park and rides and did a a few donuts... It was pretty fun. 😝... I swear it was just to make sure it was working.

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Do any lights come on when this mod is done?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

berneydidnotread.gif

yes, all of them :crazyeyes:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-quot-question&p=858103&viewfull=1#post858103

Jmanimal

Lazarus

Hello everybody. I have a 2015 JKUR. Manual transmission. After I took the center console apart I found that there are three primary purple wires with blue. One has a darker blue tracer (so I put that sombitch I timeout) and TWO purple with light blue tracer wires. I can test and reconnect, but want to hear from someone who has also seen this. Thank you

Red Rocker

You don't need a toggle switch to keep the system turned off, as soon as you switch it off the system is disabled and won't come back online until you cycle the key.... so even better would be a NC momentary switch, push the button and system is disabled and will stay that way till you cycle the key but you won't have to remember to turn it on because it will automatically be on.

A switch like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJXBELC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jdofmemi

You don't need a toggle switch to keep the system turned off, as soon as you switch it off the system is disabled and won't come back online until you cycle the key.... so even better would be a NC momentary switch, push the button and system is disabled and will stay that way till you cycle the key but you won't have to remember to turn it on because it will automatically be on.

A switch like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJXBELC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That seems like a safer way if you are going to do this.

Jmanimal

Yep

Switch choice aside...does anyone know which purple with blue tracer wire it is? One of them looks to be intentionally intertwined with a white wire that has a light blue tracer (stripe)

Ddays

Hooked
Anyone seen this done on a JL? The ESC/Traction control will turn in 4LO in these and it's really a pain in the ass. Eddie noted it in his Moab video, and I had it happen to me on my maiden voyage in the snow. Halfway up a steep slippery hill it kept turning on and I couldn't generate wheelspin to keep my momentum up. Switching the auto tranny to manual mode is a workaround, but it's still bullshit this even comes on at all in 4LO.

GeoWillys

I did this on my 15 JK and if I remember correctly the blue wires appear to have the same purple tracer but if you look closely only one is purple. The other may be dark blue. I believe I used an illuminated magnifying glass to see the difference.

Top Bottom