2015 6spd Manual Chatter with Low miles. Please help!

Byte

Yeah the manual in my '15 isn't the smoothest shifting manual I've ever had but it makes no noise while running in gear. It does have the crazy shifter shake that does seem to be common in this manual tranny. Quiet as a mouse, however. Another vote for having it looked at more closely by a dealership.

JoeB-JKURX

An Acquired Taste

Yeah the manual in my '15 isn't the smoothest shifting manual I've ever had but it makes no noise while running in gear. It does have the crazy shifter shake that does seem to be common in this manual tranny. Quiet as a mouse, however. Another vote for having it looked at more closely by a dealership.

I've driven manual trannys on all of my vehicles since the early 80's. I'd have to say that the one in my '14 Rubi was a bit of a handful on my first test drive (with a demo from the dealer) and, later, with my rig when I first got it. The shift into reverse was frequently missed and the short throw from missed gear to engagement was alarming. Also, the occasional miss of 5th gear into something grinding above reverse kind of pissed me off. After a while however, it starts to feel natural and runs smoothly. From my experience and from what others have said here, I'd have to agree that this (what the OP described and from the video) is anything but natural.

TJeep_1999

UPDATE:

It was an intermittent problem so there is no way to be sure it's actually fixed, but since taking it to the original dealer it has not made the chatter sound again. The ONLY thing they did was add fluid to the tranny and drive it. That makes me wonder just how low it was if that is actually what was causing such an issue... I'm still having a hard time believing that was the problem, but (knock on wood) it hasn't made the sound since then and that's the only thing that was changed.

Keep in mind this is a brand new JK w/ about 4K miles on it. I guess the lesson here is to check your fluids even on factory new vehicles???

I will post back with any additional updates if there are any to be made.

Thank you again for all the earlier replies/input!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
UPDATE:

It was an intermittent problem so there is no way to be sure it's actually fixed, but since taking it to the original dealer it has not made the chatter sound again. The ONLY thing they did was add fluid to the tranny and drive it. That makes me wonder just how low it was if that is actually what was causing such an issue... I'm still having a hard time believing that was the problem, but (knock on wood) it hasn't made the sound since then and that's the only thing that was changed.

Keep in mind this is a brand new JK w/ about 4K miles on it. I guess the lesson here is to check your fluids even on factory new vehicles???

I will post back with any additional updates if there are any to be made.

Thank you again for all the earlier replies/input!

You actually accepting the jeep back with them just adding fluid? Fuck that. They should have at least pulled the pan and done a check not just add fluid.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
You actually accepting the jeep back with them just adding fluid? Fuck that. They should have at least pulled the pan and done a check not just add fluid.

Manual transmissions don't have pans. Either way, it shouldn't be low at 4,000 miles unless it's leaking.

rich67

Caught the Bug
I went through this with my '13. I can tell you this, it's NOT a normal noise. Even though most Jeeps in the '13/ '14 years have it, it's not normal at all. I know, because after taking mine in three times for a bad throwout bearing, they finally fixed it ALONG with the chatter. But the chatter was fixed when they replaced the clutch fork. I hear when there is an issue with this, that a metallic rattle can be heard internally. Have your dealership check that. The TOB is going bad when you hear creak in the clutch pedal like a rusty spring. Those are the two common issues plaguing Wrangler manual owners. So far, I am 2k miles in on the clutch fork/TOB replacement and all is good. The rattle is still there, but is so quiet now, I never notice it unless I am in a drive-thru with my doors off. lol..

Top Bottom