2016 JK burly exhaust options

NickarendPDX

I need some direction, even if it is to give me some peace of mind. I've got a 2016 JK and have been going through the research steps to upgrade my exhaust for past 3 months. After watching the Wayalife video showcasing the Dynomax Quiet Crawler, I thought I had settled on it. I bought all the parts and had plans on installing this weekend. However, I'm having some serious hesitation whether or not it will give me the sound I'm after. I understand that the sound of a vehicle is incredibly personal. What may be too loud for you, might be mild to the next person and visa versa. I don't personally know anyone else with a Jeep, so YouTube videos is all I have to go off of. That means relying on the persons camera/microphone to translate the sound, which doesn't always work very well.

So, if I may, let me tell you some of my thoughts and perhaps you can tell me some options (or confirm that the Dynomax I bought will do the trick)

1) I want a burly/rumbly growl. At idle, take off and when stepping on it. I even want a slight drone (But not obnoxious) because I want to hear the exhaust. I know some people like the throaty low RPM and then become silent while cruising. I want to know that the exhaust is there without having to go searching for the sound by stepping on the gas. That being said, I know I have a V6, not a V8, which puts a limitation on the burliness. I do not want an obnoxious raspy sound that sounds like a 97 Honda civic.

2) If I had to give a comparison in sound, I picture a V6 Mustang that has a low rumble. I want to start the Jeep up and turn a head or two because it's rumbling (respectfully). I fear that the Dynomax is going to be too mild and may be confused for a stock set up.

3) While I don't want it to sound like a "ricer" car, I'm reminded of the built up Honda I had. I went with a mild exhaust and wasn't happy. couple months later I switched it to a much louder system and it had a significant drone. I liked knowing it was there. So I fear that going to mild will repeat my steps with my Honda.

4) I'd like a shorty, single exit set up

I was thinking perhaps a Flowmaster system might give me the type of sound I'm after?

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?

I've been putting far too much thought into this, without having the experience to answer my own questions. That's why I'm bringing this to you, in hopes your experience can point me in the right direction. Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Install what you have and reassess if needed. You've already made the purchase. I think you'll be happy. It's not a bad sound for a v6. Flowmaster has it's spot, but I personally feel it's too loud and sounds like shit on a 6 cyl. Too aggressive in my opinion.

I need some direction, even if it is to give me some peace of mind. I've got a 2016 JK and have been going through the research steps to upgrade my exhaust for past 3 months. After watching the Wayalife video showcasing the Dynomax Quiet Crawler, I thought I had settled on it. I bought all the parts and had plans on installing this weekend. However, I'm having some serious hesitation whether or not it will give me the sound I'm after. I understand that the sound of a vehicle is incredibly personal. What may be too loud for you, might be mild to the next person and visa versa. I don't personally know anyone else with a Jeep, so YouTube videos is all I have to go off of. That means relying on the persons camera/microphone to translate the sound, which doesn't always work very well.

So, if I may, let me tell you some of my thoughts and perhaps you can tell me some options (or confirm that the Dynomax I bought will do the trick)

1) I want a burly/rumbly growl. At idle, take off and when stepping on it. I even want a slight drone (But not obnoxious) because I want to hear the exhaust. I know some people like the throaty low RPM and then become silent while cruising. I want to know that the exhaust is there without having to go searching for the sound by stepping on the gas. That being said, I know I have a V6, not a V8. I do not want an obnoxious raspy sound that sounds like a 97 Honda civic.

2) If I had to give a comparison in sound, I picture a V6 Mustang that has a low rumble. I want to start the Jeep up and turn a head or two because it's rumbling (respectfully). I fear that the Dynomax is going to be too mild and may be confused for a stock set up.

3) While I don't want it to sound like a "ricer" car, I'm reminded of the built up Honda I had. I went with a mild exhaust and wasn't happy. couple months later I switched it to a much louder system and it had a significant drone. I liked knowing it was there. So I fear that going to mild will repeat my steps with my Honda.

4) I'd like a shorty, single exit set up

I was thinking perhaps a Flowmaster system might give me the type of sound I'm after?

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?

I've been putting far too much thought into this, without having the experience to answer my own questions. That's why I'm bringing this to you, in hopes your experience can point me in the right direction. Thank you all in advance!
No matter what you put on it, it's the same sound just quieter or louder depending on the brand. It's just a 285hp 3.6L V6. I personally ripped the whole muffler off after slamming the pipe shut on a ledge, and haven't put one on since... It drones here and there but isn't obnoxious unless I step on it. I think any exhaust won't be "loud enough" for you based on the sound you want. Again, it's a V6. If I put one on again I'd probably go with the Dynomax (which you already bought so why not run it for the time being and see if you actually like it rather than speculating if you bought the right one or not) since I plan to eventually plan to switch to a soft top.

NickarendPDX

No matter what you put on it, it's the same sound just quieter or louder depending on the brand. It's just a 285hp 3.6L V6. I personally ripped the whole muffler off after slamming the pipe shut on a ledge, and haven't put one on since... It drones here and there but isn't obnoxious unless I step on it. I think any exhaust won't be "loud enough" for you based on the sound you want. Again, it's a V6. If I put one on again I'd probably go with the Dynomax (which you already bought so why not run it for the time being and see if you actually like it rather than speculating if you bought the right one or not) since I plan to eventually plan to switch to a soft top.
Ok, that being said, let's mention the resonator. The Dynomax kit I bought also has a bullet resonator. The videos I've watched about resonators seem to be mixed as well. Any opinions about installing the resonator or keeping it off? To my knowledge, the resonator doesn't change the volume of the exhaust, but rather "tunes" the sound. Not sure if that is accurate or not.

NickarendPDX

Install what you have and reassess if needed. You've already made the purchase. I think you'll be happy. It's not a bad sound for a v6. Flowmaster has it's spot, but I personally feel it's too loud and sounds like shit on a 6 cyl. Too aggressive in my opinion.
My only hesitation with going that route is that I bought the Dynomax on Amazon, which means I can easily return all the parts for this kit I bought. Once I install it, it's mine. That being said, I understand that I'll never know until I try it. I'd really like to avoid wasting money on a part, if the majority of people's experience were to tell me that what I'm after won't be accomplished by what I bought.

Ok, that being said, let's mention the resonator. The Dynomax kit I bought also has a bullet resonator. The videos I've watched about resonators seem to be mixed as well. Any opinions about installing the resonator or keeping it off? To my knowledge, the resonator doesn't change the volume of the exhaust, but rather "tunes" the sound. Not sure if that is accurate or not.
That's when it'd be obnoxious I think. I have stock resonator and just no muffler.

Ddays

Hooked
Bunch of guys with experience already said try this one - it sounds really good. As stated, you already have it - just try it & see. And yes on the resonator

CalSgt

Hooked
Resonators typically reduce the frequencies that result in drone.

I put an expensive flowmaster resonator on my JL, it didn’t totally eliminate drone but made it tolerable for highway driving

NickarendPDX

Dynomax Quiet Crawler with this resonator gave it the lower tone without the drone I was wanting.

Vibrant Performance 1141 2.5' Ultra Quiet Resonator, Silver
But if I was wanting a drone, perhaps the resonator delete would check the box? Again, as mentioned, I'll only know by trying it. So I might bolt it up without and try it. If I don't like it, I can add the resonator. What I dont want is a constant fart. I want a drone to hear the exhaust while driving.

jeeeep

Hooked
But if I was wanting a drone, perhaps the resonator delete would check the box? Again, as mentioned, I'll only know by trying it. So I might bolt it up without and try it. If I don't like it, I can add the resonator. What I dont want is a constant fart. I want a drone to hear the exhaust while driving.
without the resonator you'll get the drone

NickarendPDX

Ok I have to update and also say thank you. I installed the Dynomax today. First without the resonator. At idle it sounded great, but above 3K RPM's it sounded like a fart can, which is what I was concerned about. So we put on the resonator, and to be honest, it is perfect! Sound clips from YouTube don't do it justice. It has a great idle rumble and even has enough drone to satisfy me. I love the combination of the exhaust paired with my Banks cold air intake.

We ran into some issues while installing, even though I bought the parts given from the SKU list in the Quiet crawler thread. Luckily my neighbor has a welder that came in handy.

So, a huge thank you to everyone for your guidance. Truly appreciated!

Top Bottom