2017 SEMA - 1st Official Jeep JL Wrangler Pics & JL MOPAR Aftermarket Parts

c3jko

Excited about 2018 wranglers

Check out the jeep.com. I tried o build a 2018 wrangler there. Would not let me build a 4 foor, just a 2 door. Funny thing, it looked like a 2017. I guess, that is all the dealerships have left. I also seen a dealership add with a 2018 wrangler. Looked like a 2017 to. I hope that was a mistake and the dealers are more honest. If someone does not follow jeeps much, they could really get screwed.

woof359

a wall of nice stuff

looks good on paper, looks like their now offering things we use to get else where ,Im wondering about pricing though, my dealership likes to jack prices way up over normal retail

stitch1

Looking at the windshield folded down and have some random thoughts about it. :thinking: Say you fold it down while wheeling. Seems fun right. Now after a long day of play you now have mud, dirt, dust, and so on in there. What do you do, just sandwich all that in there when it's time to go home?

Take it a step further. Lets say you are wheeling and smack that A pillar into a tree. Here in the Midwest that happens more often than you would think. Now that A pillar is bent and the windshield frame isn't. Now you can't close your windshield to get home?

I do like that the JL has a much nicer stock cage. I just don't think I would use the windshield like that unless I was cleaning and really need to get the back of the dash for some reason. But to each their own.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
2017 SEMA - 1st Official Jeep JL Wrangler Pics & JL MOPAR Aftermarket Parts

Looking at the windshield folded down and have some random thoughts about it. :thinking: Say you fold it down while wheeling. Seems fun right. Now after a long day of play you now have mud, dirt, dust, and so on in there. What do you do, just sandwich all that in there when it's time to go home?

Take it a step further. Lets say you are wheeling and smack that A pillar into a tree. Here in the Midwest that happens more often than you would think. Now that A pillar is bent and the windshield frame isn't. Now you can't close your windshield to get home?

I do like that the JL has a much nicer stock cage. I just don't think I would use the windshield like that unless I was cleaning and really need to get the back of the dash for some reason. But to each their own.

You say that like the new design is worse than before? A simple wipe with a moist towel and you should be good to go, just like before. The biggest difference is that it takes a good half hour to reattach the roll bar and secure the JK windshield where the JL looks to just take minutes. Seems like a great improvement to me!

Btw I’m in the Midwest and I can’t imagine hitting anything hard enough to actually damage the “A” pillar like you’ve described. If that’s really a concern then perhaps you should reevaluate your driving style?

Last edited:

stitch1

I'm not saying it's a worse design. I like the added strength for sure. I'm just pointing out that maybe having it down isn't as cool as people are making it out to be.

As for denting the A pillar... What can I say shit happens. Slick hills with a mix of mud and rocks can throw you off a line. Add trees to the mix and bam. Doesn't take much to dent an A pillar. Seen it time and time again.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I'm not saying it's a worse design. I like the added strength for sure. I'm just pointing out that maybe having it down isn't as cool as people are making it out to be.

As for denting the A pillar... What can I say shit happens. Slick hills with a mix of mud and rocks can throw you off a line. Add trees to the mix and bam. Doesn't take much to dent an A pillar. Seen it time and time again.

In all fairness, I’ve yet to see anyone on the trail with the windshield down. Probably due to the time it takes vs. the reward. Much easier to put the top down and leave the doors at home! As far as the new design goes, I like that the A pillar is still there when the windshield is down. I think it looks less goofy and offers additional safety. That far outweighs the slight potential of possible damage as described. Like you mentioned, to each their own.

stitch1

Totally agree with you. The only people I see with theirs down is CJs and early YJs.. Simpler designs back then. I mean if I had to put mine down I would want the JL design over the JK design. I just doubt I would put it down.

I don't run a light bar but if you do I could see this as an issue as well. Same goes for aftermarket mirrors. I am sure the market will have an answer to these issues soon enough. But there's just a lot less out there to bolt to now and if you do want to put your windshield down that means the light bar has to come off.

But like you are saying the added structure behind the windshield is a huge bonus compare to what we have with the JK.

Overall I like the JL. I think it makes the Jeep more modern without taking anything away from the current JKs. I think it will bring even more people into the Jeep community. Rising tides lifts all ships. :rock:

Top Bottom