3.8L ticking?

tdougherty81

So I'm ticking now. Bumping this thread to see if anyone can confirm the exhaust mani fixed theirs or maybe I'm headed towards a spun bearing?

Easiest thing to do is remove the heat shield and look for cracks on the manifold. Mine was ticking and I replaced it. No more ticking. 1448328364663.jpg

Hoyt Ag

First, have you checked the oil level to make sure it is full? Low oil will cause ticking. Another possibility could be an exhaust manifold leak, these are prone to cracking. I run 10w30 in the 3.8 engine. I believe the 5w20 is too thin for this application.

Just recently replaced both manifolds on my 08 and I still have a ticking (oil level is fine). Any thoughts on what it could be?

JeepFan

Hooked
My 2009 JKU Rubicon engine has had various ticking/clicking noises from the vicinity of the valve covers pretty much since it was new. :crazyeyes: With a little over 117,000 miles, the engine still ticks and has a random knocking noise coming from the bottom end (oil pan) area. Diagnosis can be extremely difficult in light of the various conditions that can produce the noise. Some have mentioned cracked exhaust manifolds as the cause. It is true that a cracked exhaust manifold can make a ticking type sound but, as many have discovered, the noises continue after new manifolds have been installed.

To be more specific, I believe the noise most of us experience is due to a noisy valve train. Hydraulic lifters, rocker arm assemblies, and push rods to name a few could all contribute to the noise. For the most part, I think these noises are normal characteristics for these motors. I mean after all, at 117K miles, my 3.8 is still running. :yup: I would guess many of you experiencing a noisy engine are still wheeling despite the annoying tapping sounds emanating from under the hood.

The point I'm trying to make is this: If you seldom check the oil level and let the oil level run low or, wait an extended number of miles (past say 4000 miles) before changing the oil and filter, or neglect to replace the air filter on a regular basis, your motor is not going to last. Some folks may be mistaken that the oil pressure warning light will come on when the oil level is low. It will, but only after the oil pressure is practically zero. By then, it's almost assured your motor will be history.

Another opinion of mine I'd like to mention is about oil viscosity. In most cases using thicker oil is not going to help. In fact, it could make things worse over the long term. The two main reasons the auto industry recommends 5w20 is to speed up engine lubrication and improve fuel economy. Thicker oil will only hinder the engines ability to quickly lubricate vital components inside your motor; especially during cold starts. Stick to the recommended oil for your climate and change the oil and filter on a regular basis and you will get lots of miles out of your engine.

I hope this helps! :yup:

ScoobyCarolanNC

Thanks JeepFan. I have the dealer do my oil changes (certified pre owned). I'll mention it to them, but leave well enough alone.

Sc741

My 2009 JKU Rubicon engine has had various ticking/clicking noises from the vicinity of the valve covers pretty much since it was new. :crazyeyes: With a little over 117,000 miles, the engine still ticks and has a random knocking noise coming from the bottom end (oil pan) area. Diagnosis can be extremely difficult in light of the various conditions that can produce the noise. Some have mentioned cracked exhaust manifolds as the cause. It is true that a cracked exhaust manifold can make a ticking type sound but, as many have discovered, the noises continue after new manifolds have been installed. To be more specific, I believe the noise most of us experience is due to a noisy valve train. Hydraulic lifters, rocker arm assemblies, and push rods to name a few could all contribute to the noise. For the most part, I think these noises are normal characteristics for these motors. I mean after all, at 117K miles, my 3.8 is still running. :yup: I would guess many of you experiencing a noisy engine are still wheeling despite the annoying tapping sounds emanating from under the hood. The point I'm trying to make is this: If you seldom check the oil level and let the oil level run low or, wait an extended number of miles (past say 4000 miles) before changing the oil and filter, or neglect to replace the air filter on a regular basis, your motor is not going to last. Some folks may be mistaken that the oil pressure warning light will come on when the oil level is low. It will, but only after the oil pressure is practically zero. By then, it's almost assured your motor will be history. Another opinion of mine I'd like to mention is about oil viscosity. In most cases using thicker oil is not going to help. In fact, it could make things worse over the long term. The two main reasons the auto industry recommends 5w20 is to speed up engine lubrication and improve fuel economy. Thicker oil will only hinder the engines ability to quickly lubricate vital components inside your motor; especially during cold starts. Stick to the recommended oil for your climate and change the oil and filter on a regular basis and you will get lots of miles out of your engine. I hope this helps! :yup:

^^^ That!
130K ish miles on mine ticked since brand new. Ticking is louder than others. A crack is a crack, just look and replace if needed but not always the noise.

Change your own oil and start it up and see how much louder the noise gets! Also make sure the oil filter has a check valve in it. Not sure if they all do.

WJCO

Meme King
Another opinion of mine I'd like to mention is about oil viscosity. In most cases using thicker oil is not going to help. In fact, it could make things worse over the long term. The two main reasons the auto industry recommends 5w20 is to speed up engine lubrication and improve fuel economy. Thicker oil will only hinder the engines ability to quickly lubricate vital components inside your motor; especially during cold starts. Stick to the recommended oil for your climate and change the oil and filter on a regular basis and you will get lots of miles out of your engine.

I hope this helps! :yup:

Well said, Tony. I share this same point of view. After talking with FSEs as well, higher viscosity oil may indeed fix the noise symptom short term but as you said could cause some longterm upper end issues over time due to cold starts and longer oil circulation times.

Top Bottom