33" or 35" what a dilemma!

David1tontj

If i had 17s id go with NITTO for sure too. Anyone hear much about cooper discovery SST?

I had bad luck with the coopers, delaminated tread at half the tread life

I had this same thing happen on my tow rig. The tires were still pretty new- I went up a fairly rocky hill in 2 wheel drive and peeled the tread on a tire right off! It separated the tread right at the radial belt. It still held air, I just had a big flap of tread loosely hanging of the tire. Major disappointment.

Panda

Do you think is was an anomaly? or have you known of others that had that problem?

I know a gal who put them on her yota and had problems as well, you may pay a little extra for nitto's or toyo's but the mileage is worth paying the extra :yup:

Moabbnd

I ran 35x12.5x15 Cooper Stt on a previous TJ and they were great! You guys are the first I've heard of that had problems with them.

Kevlars are great, other than occasional balancing issues that some have. The sidewalls are what we need out here in AZ with the sharp rocks, but may be different for those not in the area.

Look into Hankook Dynapro MT. Only heard great things about them and they're supposed to have good tread life. I'll most likely be replacing my Wildpeaks with the Hankooks

I know Toyos are great, but the MT is unnecessarily heavy, especially for a d30. The Nitto Trail grapplers are good tires, but like you said, they don't make them in 15s.

TJ4fun

Great advice! Yes side wall protection is important here in California as well....rocks, rocks and more rocks!
Ill check out Hankook as well. Thanks.

holliewood61

Can't go wrong with a tried and true swamper. Tsl's are as tough as they come. Dang near all the rock bouncers out here on the east coast run them and they take a beating. I personally run irok's with no complaints whatsoever.

MarkW13

Great advice! Yes side wall protection is important here in California as well....rocks, rocks and more rocks!
Ill check out Hankook as well. Thanks.

I ran bfg km2's in 35x12.5x15 on my yj. Great tire on the rocks. Road noise wasn't bad and tread wear was also pretty good.

Bryan__howell

Man thanks for the heads up, another tire to cross of the list. Thanks.

Check out matercraft mxt. It's a new one. Iv had trail grapplers, mud-grapplers, and now these. By far my favorite. I have 30k miles on them and the tred looks brand new. They are also quiet. My friend has Coopers and after riding in my jeep and spending time around them, has decided that mastercrafts will be his next tire. Just a thought!

Moabbnd

Check out matercraft mxt. It's a new one. Iv had trail grapplers, mud-grapplers, and now these. By far my favorite. I have 30k miles on them and the tred looks brand new. They are also quiet. My friend has Coopers and after riding in my jeep and spending time around them, has decided that mastercrafts will be his next tire. Just a thought!

Any balancing issues? At 220ish a tire for 315/75r16s, I am skeptical since I've never ran them or seem them ran. Hows the sidewall?

Voyager_1700

Just a few thoughts.. since I'm basically in the same situation..
I was told to upgrade the axles for the D30 especially since you've got pull them to regear..
Second. 4" lift....Rough country tells me 35's will rub I need to go to 6" for clearance..
I've also been told I should do SYE & CV shafts.

The last thing I would suggest/ Been told..
Consider upgrading brakes !!!
Once you get the beast rolling... You'll want to be able to stop it..

Again.. this is only what I've been told/read.. Any thoughts suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated..

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Ill just get 35s and do what I have to do to make it work. my 44 rear end should hold up ok, its the Dana 30 im worried about.

Hands down 35's over 33's

Your D30 will be fine with 35's. Anything over that and then you may start having issues though. I've got 35's and threw in 4:88 gears and everything's still going strong. I wouldn't go over 4:88's though.

I'd have to 2nd this. 35s would be fine on a D30, especially on a lighter TJ. Regear, get some 35s and enjoy! Oh, and check out those sweet ass boat side sliders from ORE, I'll be ordering some when we get my son a TJ after he gets his license in a year.

Moabbnd

Just a few thoughts.. since I'm basically in the same situation..
I was told to upgrade the axles for the D30 especially since you've got pull them to regear..
Second. 4" lift....Rough country tells me 35's will rub I need to go to 6" for clearance..
I've also been told I should do SYE & CV shafts.

The last thing I would suggest/ Been told..
Consider upgrading brakes !!!
Once you get the beast rolling... You'll want to be able to stop it..

Again.. this is only what I've been told/read.. Any thoughts suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated..

First thing's first, STOP LISTENING TO ROUGH COUNTRY.

Chromoly axle shafts help, but if you don't have a set, then standard replacements should be carried on the trail along with u-joints

A SYE should be done on any jeep over 2.5". It allows for more tcase skid clearance and the ability to get a tummy tuck later on if you decide to do so.

Google is a wonderful thing. Search around and you'll find more than enough info on why 6" is not needed for 35s, unless you're just doing it for looks. Articulating the suspension to figure out how much bump stops you'll need to add is a must with any lift.

Avoid diff cover hitting track bars (Metalcloak and Currie make the best) and poly bushings

The rest is up to you to search around and find what is best :thumb:

Voyager_1700

First thing's first, STOP LISTENING TO ROUGH COUNTRY.

Chromoly axle shafts help, but if you don't have a set, then standard replacements should be carried on the trail along with u-joints

A SYE should be done on any jeep over 2.5". It allows for more tcase skid clearance and the ability to get a tummy tuck later on if you decide to do so.

Google is a wonderful thing. Search around and you'll find more than enough info on why 6" is not needed for 35s, unless you're just doing it for looks. Articulating the suspension to figure out how much bump stops you'll need to add is a must with any lift.

Avoid diff cover hitting track bars (Metalcloak and Currie make the best) and poly bushings

The rest is up to you to search around and find what is best :thumb:
Cool.. Thanks for the info.. It'll be a little while before I get to it...

BlackBandit

Ya you could put 35s on a 3 inch lift and bump stop another inch or so and you would be fine don't liston to anyone who says you need over 4 inch of lift. I know a guy running 35s on his stock jk. He has a big bump stop extension and wheel spacers. It looks kinda funny though

Warfnation

I have a totally opposite view the most. I had 35 and went back to 33. I did so cause everything I wheeled had no technical challenge with the 33 make me think more and pick my line better. Still able to conquer everything that I was doing on 35 but am able to enjoy my jeep all the time even on the street. This is just my view.

socalrubi

I'm currently running 33/12.50/15 Hankook Dynapro MT's on my yj and I love them! Great tread life and really good traction on rocks and mud. Not too much sand experience yet. The only down side is I don't think they do too well in the rain. But definitely consider them!

Brankz

I had the same problem with my 2 door, save go with 35s

After having 33s for 2 weeks I was craving to buy 35s

Top Bottom