35" on 2012 auto sport with 3:21! What does everyone think!

Showroom

Finally lifted and got my 35 km2 under her. So far I've noticed about a 2 mpg loss in town driving, haven't had a chance to see how she does on the freeway when setting the cruise control around 70. Stock gears are definitely do-able for a while. Here in Phoenix it's prettily flat driving so I don't notice a huge power loss. I would imagine living somewhere with a lot of hilly driving you would want gears pretty quickly. I'll most likely end up putting in some 4.56 sooner then later

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1367081408.689020.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1367081408.689020.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 168

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Finally lifted and got my 35 km2 under her. So far I've noticed about a 2 mpg loss in town driving, haven't had a chance to see how she does on the freeway when setting the cruise control around 70. Stock gears are definitely do-able for a while. Here in Phoenix it's prettily flat driving so I don't notice a huge power loss. I would imagine living somewhere with a lot of hilly driving you would want gears pretty quickly. I'll most likely end up putting in some 4.56 sooner then later

Hey, looks great thank you for keepen up with info. What size lift did you go. So 3:21 isn't to bad. I added rubi spring and got 1.5" out of it. Was going to add terrafex level kit. With it and then 35" and fender trim. Keeps us posted once you can aquire more data on power and mileage:thumbup:
Looks great
Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Showroom

3" evo springs and track bar brackets, drag link flip, terraflex monster track bars, aev drop brackets. Haven't done arms, not sure if ill do adjustable short or go straight to a long arm. Rides 100% better then stock did

phillypete

Glad to here this setup is working for you. Here in MB it's very flat, so I should be ok to hold out on gears until I'm ready to increase my tire size further.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I ended up buying a rough country 2.5" lift just came in yesterday. Next will be tires and then regear :D

phillypete

I've been driving my new 35" Toyo's with the 3.21 gears and the 3.6L engine with an automatic transmition.

It is definitely slower off the line. Not painful, but slower. The only way I can really tell at this point is because it takes more rpm's to get going from a dead stop. I'm sure it's killing my gas mileage, but I didn't by a jk for fuel conservation.

I haven't really tested it too heavily off road. There isn't any rock crawling local to me, but I can see where lower gearing would help. I can tell youthat on level asphalt at a dead stop the jeep won't move without giving it a little throttle.

The my local off roading is mostly sandy and swampy forest trials. For this type of off roading and normal street driving I don't see an issue with NEEDING to regear.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to re-gear, you should probably go ahead a upgrade your whole axle(s).

2012 jeep. I am looking at 35" tires, and running 3:21 gears with auto trans.:yup: Jeep is my D/D, but I am not a big lead foot.:doh: Please chime in what you all think!:thumb:

I also have a 2012 auto with 3:21 gears, the dealership that i got my jeep from knew i had plans on 35's and a lift, they gave me an AEV PROCAL MODULE it will recalobrate your speedo and change the shift points for your trans so you shouldn't loose to much power. some of my customers at the parts store have used this and gave it the thumbs up, they also suggested a cold air intake and exhaust work to gain the power back.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
2012 jeep. I am looking at 35" tires, and running 3:21 gears with auto trans.:yup: Jeep is my D/D, but I am not a big lead foot.:doh: Please chime in what you all think!:thumb:

Dont know how your roads are, but I just drove my 2012 with 3.21s and 33x12.50x15s to moab from NY through colorado. It was excruciating. I can't imagine 35s and 3.21s. I say HELL no. Biggest noob mistake for a first time jeep buyer. ALWAYS ALWAYS get the highest gear ratio possible from factory.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I have this exact set up, there is room for improvement but its definitely doable!

This is good to hear, I have been going crazy on trying to decide on 33's or 35's. Planning on regearing next year if all goes well. Thanks for input.

White_JKU

I have that same set up.. it will feel like stock.. the new motor handles it just fine. However I noticed a HUGE difference once I pro-cal'ed the jeep. the shift points will be screaming into the high rpms once you install the 35's .

i will not CONSIDER re-gearing until im at 37's or bigger. (disclaimer--- I live in central GA... hills are not affecting my jeep)

White_JKU

Dont know how your roads are, but I just drove my 2012 with 3.21s and 33x12.50x15s to moab from NY through colorado. It was excruciating. I can't imagine 35s and 3.21s. I say HELL no. Biggest noob mistake for a first time jeep buyer. ALWAYS ALWAYS get the highest gear ratio possible from factory.

dont listen to this guy... get the LOWEST gear you can get from the factory LOL...:bleh:
(I know what you meant NFRs2000NYC LOL)

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I have that same set up.. it will feel like stock.. the new motor handles it just fine. However I noticed a HUGE difference once I pro-cal'ed the jeep. the shift points will be screaming into the high rpms once you install the 35's .

i will not CONSIDER re-gearing until im at 37's or bigger. (disclaimer--- I live in central GA... hills are not affecting my jeep)

White_JKU;112063 thank you and all Jeeper's out there for all your feed back.:yup::thumb::clap2: I am getting ready to install my 2.5" lift and have been going back and forth on 33" or 35". Awesome, to have such nice and cool WAYALIFE'rs out there to take time out to help!:clap2:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
dont listen to this guy... get the LOWEST gear you can get from the factory LOL...:bleh:
(I know what you meant NFRs2000NYC LOL)

:D My bad...I always thought the highest gear ratio meant the highest numerical gear ratio, which 4.XX is higher than 3.XX....was I told wrong?

Top Bottom