37" BFG KO2 on stock axles.

RageKage

Are you talking front OEM D30 axle? 37s......5.13.......locker.....

See above. Just curious.....

Actually I was talking about the rear when I said 5.13 and a locker.... Hence why I said the comment about a spool in the REAR end.... See above... Just sayin.

But yes I would also need 5.13 in my stock OEM D30 front axle.... And prolly going to leave it open. Yes it's possible to put 5.13's and a locker in the stock OEM D30 front axle. And yes I have 37's on my stock OEM D30 front axle. And I have had no issues running them for over a year now.

Last edited:

swampdog

Actually I was talking about the rear when I said 5.13 and a locker.... Hence why I said the comment about a spool in the REAR end.... See above... Just sayin.

But yes I would also need 5.13 in my stock OEM D30 front axle.... And prolly going to leave it open. Yes it's possible to put 5.13's and a locker in the stock OEM D30 front axle. And yes I have 37's on my stock OEM D30 front axle. And I have had no issues running them for over a year now.

Oh, he mad....

swampdog

Lol not mad at all. Just tired of people telling me what I can and can't do to my own vehicle. If I want to put it on square tires I am completely inclined to do that. No one is going to tell me I can't.

I didn't see where anyone said you CAN'T do anything. Just seemed like people asking why and trying to give some advice.

RageKage

I apologize my comments were not directed at you guys. There were others trying to put me on blast about "being a real mechanic" or jumping on that comment because of how I choose to do things or my preferences about what I like. It's just not needed when all I was doing was give my personal experience and future build plans.

Lol not mad at all. Just tired of people telling me what I can and can't do to my own vehicle. If I want to put it on square tires I am completely inclined to do that. No one is going to tell me I can't.
While that is all true, one of the purposes of a forum like this is to help people make good choices based on the exprience of others. No one is telling you not to use square tires, theyre just saying its not the best option out there.

RageKage

While that is all true, one of the purposes of a forum like this is to help people make good choices based on the exprience of others. No one is telling you not to use square tires, theyre just saying its not the best option out there.

And I completely agree with you... But that wasn't the issue. I have my personal experience to the OP's question and answered other's questions about my own rig and then it turned into others trying to just be dicks. But hey there's always gunna be those people that just talk out of their ass.

mcdesigner

Square tires will kill your gas mileage and acceleration but braking would be incredible! You might have a slight vibration at highway speeds though.

Boverlin

And I completely agree with you... But that wasn't the issue. I have my personal experience to the OP's question and answered other's questions about my own rig and then it turned into others trying to just be dicks. But hey there's always gunna be those people that just talk out of their ass.

Oh I love this. This is my first forum... I've heard stories, but this is too much!haha! Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it

Ddays

Hooked
Square tires will kill your gas mileage and acceleration but braking would be incredible! You might have a slight vibration at highway speeds though.

Yeah, but that vibrations is just short term. Once you get them worn in and kinda octagonal-like they're not so bad!

RageKage

Right?! I was thinking i could take a dremel and maybe round out the edges. You think it'll work? That should help my gas mileage a tad bit. But yes braking would be absolutely phenomenal!!!!

Boverlin

Will I loose any off road capability by going to 37's? Meaning I'm not going to upgrade the steering system yet, I'm not adding any power in any way just yet. I know the 37's will wear things out faster, but will it still be able to get up the rocks until I upgrade other components or is it just better do 35's? I know I want 37's, but is it smarter to have some fun with 35's while I upgrade and then jump to 37's for my next set?

Angry Aussie

Will I loose any off road capability by going to 37's? Meaning I'm not going to upgrade the steering system yet, I'm not adding any power in any way just yet. I know the 37's will wear things out faster, but will it still be able to get up the rocks until I upgrade other components or is it just better do 35's? I know I want 37's, but is it smarter to have some fun with 35's while I upgrade and then jump to 37's for my next set?

Don't waste your money on 35s at all. I'm on 37s with 5:13 gears and stock motor and it's more that enough power to get around town and over any rocks. Just do yourself a favor and re gear when you go to 37s and you will be fine. I don't have any steering upgrades yet and can still get around the trails pretty easy. Yes it would be nice to upgrade the steering but stock is good enough to get you around to you do upgrade the steering. Don't get me wrong it would make some trails a lot easier if I had a psc system. But it's not fully needed right off the bat. Just my two cents. What you would spend on 35s you could easily get the steering upgrade you want. Don't waste time or money on 35s if you know your going to 37s.

Boverlin

Don't waste your money on 35s at all. I'm on 37s with 5:13 gears and stock motor and it's more that enough power to get around town and over any rocks. Just do yourself a favor and re gear when you go to 37s and you will be fine. I don't have any steering upgrades yet and can still get around the trails pretty easy. Yes it would be nice to upgrade the steering but stock is good enough to get you around to you do upgrade the steering. Don't get me wrong it would make some trails a lot easier if I had a psc system. But it's not fully needed right off the bat. Just my two cents. What you would spend on 35s you could easily get the steering upgrade you want. Don't waste time or money on 35s if you know your going to 37s.

Thank you. That's what my gut was saying, but you know how it is... One person says it's a bad idea and I'm back to second guessing again. Thanks for bringing me back on track. Lol

Angry Aussie

Thank you. That's what my gut was saying, but you know how it is... One person says it's a bad idea and I'm back to second guessing again. Thanks for bringing me back on track. Lol

No problem man, I was in your exact same spot a few years ago. I really wanted 37s and everything that needed to be done to run them was a bit overwhelming. But I knew I would be unhappy with the 35s so I waited and saved a little longer and went with 37s. I can't tell you how happy I am with the 37s, I would have wanted to kick my own ass if I would have gotten the 35s. Plus it's really nice having the peace of mind knowing I have upgraded drive shafts on the trails. I didn't like paying for them at first but so happy that I did.

TitoJk

Yea I plan on regearing and upgrading the innards of the axels in the future. I would absolutely love the horsepower back and an increase in MPG. I'm leaning towards 5.13's and a locker. Everyone keeps telling me 4.88's are good enough but I don't like good enough. Lol Thought about a spool in the rear end but haven't really decided.

Go with the 5.13 i just got my gears done on Saturday and im happy with the 5.13 after programming the Jeep feels very good

Top Bottom