37 Nitto TG and Hutchinson Beadlocks - Axel requirements

dchew

This was my plan: I'm getting a 2013 JKUR (manual T) and will begin working on it almost immediately. Probably wheeling 1/mo and it will be my DD. Lift will be the EVO bolt-on coil over. The wheels are Hutchinson Beadlocks, and I was planning on the 37" Nitto TGs. However, TGs are ~82 lbs, and I think the Hutchinsons are 55 lbs. So 137 lbs total! I was just going to gusset the Dana 44 (EVO C's), but other than a Reel 1350 in the front that is it for driveline. Am I crazy? I cannot afford Dynatrac 60's for a while, so if this is doomed then I should re-think wheels and tires.

Dave

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm guessing there are a lot more jeeps out there not running 60s than there are running them. :idontknow:

dchew

:yup:
Good point. I suppose the lightest W/T combination in a 37 would be what, 100 lbs?

And no I cannot spell Axle.
How to spot a noob...

Last edited:

biggy

My 37" toyos and rims come in at about 130lb. I've put about 20000 miles on road and a lot of wheeling trips in the rocks. I have gussets ,sleeves and chromo shafts. No issues so far and even the ball joints are still good .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't worry so much about the weight but, I would try to include some front chromo shafts with full circle clips. We're running 37" Trail Grapplers on ATX Slabs and couldn't make it past the summer before blowing a factory driver side front shaft. Of course, we totally knew this would happen and just wanted to see how long we could push it.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't worry so much about the weight but, I would try to include some front chromo shafts with full circle clips. We're running 37" Trail Grapplers on ATX Slabs and couldn't make it past the summer before blowing a factory driver side front shaft. Of course, we totally knew this would happen and just wanted to see how long we could push it.

Hey Eddie,

Is there a write up on how to replace an axle shaft? I quickly looked on project-jk but didn't see one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie,

Is there a write up on how to replace an axle shaft? I quickly looked on project-jk but didn't see one.

Hmmm, no, but I can probably put one together pretty quick with pics that I have. Let me see what I can do.

dchew

Well, there is no turning back now!
:)

Attachments

• 2012-12-18-18.41.45.jpg
    2012-12-18-18.41.45.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 2012-12-18-18.42.34.jpg
    2012-12-18-18.42.34.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 124
Top Bottom