37's+ and brake question

JKWrang

All of this conversation could be avoided if people drove a manual and learned to down shift ;)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
All of this conversation could be avoided if people drove a manual and learned to down shift ;)

Good point, I disable OD to create some downshift and assist in braking when I can...

Alan30

What else did Nbruno recommend that you waste your money on Alan? For $700 i think I will stick with my factory brakes and spend the $60 or so on new pads. :thumb:

No, actually I'm not influenced to buy parts for my Jeep because of what one person says, but I do love people's opinions. But in the end, I still do what I want. Steve, you also have a 2 door, I would stick with the stock calipers at least myself if I were in your shoes. Bigger or better brakes are good on any vehicle, period. The rotating mass of larger/heavier wheels/tires is quite significant. Over the last 20 years of me messing with cars. trucks, Jeeps, and motorcycles, one thing is always the same. Better brakes is always a good idea:beer:

cwmt3

X2

64k km still same pads. I think sometimes people behind me worry that my lights don't work. Meh.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No, actually I'm not influenced to buy parts for my Jeep because of what one person says, but I do love people's opinions. But in the end, I still do what I want. Steve, you also have a 2 door, I would stick with the stock calipers at least myself if I were in your shoes. Bigger or better brakes are good on any vehicle, period. The rotating mass of larger/heavier wheels/tires is quite significant. Over the last 20 years of me messing with cars. trucks, Jeeps, and motorcycles, one thing is always the same. Better brakes is always a good idea:beer:

It doesn't matter that I'm in a 2 door or not. If you go an look at what Eddie said he still runs factory in his 4 door with 37's and carries tons of gear. If he can travel all of those miles and still run factory I will be fine for a long time and so would you. I would rather spend that $1,000 on an axle that will last me longer than brakes that are no better than stock.

Alan30

It doesn't matter that I'm in a 2 door or not. If you go an look at what Eddie said he still runs factory in his 4 door with 37's and carries tons of gear. If he can travel all of those miles and still run factory I will be fine for a long time and so would you. I would rather spend that $1,000 on an axle that will last me longer than brakes that are no better than stock.

And I've never had problems with braking in mine either, just something on my to do list when the time comes

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
And I've never had problems with braking in mine either, just something on my to do list when the time comes

Then why bother spending money on something that isn't better than stock? I would only upgrade if it's going to improve your braking and people have shown and talked about how it isn't. Waste of money in my eyes but hey what do I know

Alan30

Then why bother spending money on something that isn't better than stock? I would only upgrade if it's going to improve your braking and people have shown and talked about how it isn't. Waste of money in my eyes but hey what do I know
It is better than stock. I've driven a jeep with them on, and they are better. Have you???? Bigger brakes will improve braking. No matter what it is

twoxstreem

I upgraded to stainless lines and black magic pads and rotors. They took a few hundred miles to actually seat but it now stops like I would expect a car to stop.

12 jku w 35s 4" lift bumpers winch etc.

Alan30

I upgraded to stainless lines and black magic pads and rotors. They took a few hundred miles to actually seat but it now stops like I would expect a car to stop.

12 jku w 35s 4" lift bumpers winch etc.

That is another good point too!!! Usually there is a bed-in procedure that a manufacture recommends. Which will consist of a series of stops at different speeds and brake pressure to bring the pads/rotors up to temperature and prevent glazing of them. And the pad has to match the temperature range you'll be driving. Racing brakes are awesome, but if you don't bring them up to the temperature they are designed for, it will feel like you have no brakes at all

JKWrang

That is another good point too!!! Usually there is a bed-in procedure that a manufacture recommends. Which will consist of a series of stops at different speeds and brake pressure to bring the pads/rotors up to temperature and prevent glazing of them. And the pad has to match the temperature range you'll be driving. Racing brakes are awesome, but if you don't bring them up to the temperature they are designed for, it will feel like you have no brakes at all

Which most wont do under normal driving circumstances

David1tontj

So let's say you only get an extra 10-15 feet of stopping distance.....

In a statistic that I just made up for this thread- 90% of accidents would not happen if they had stopped 10 feet sooner...- I know I had an accident, and also hit a deer (gently) that both required only about another 2 feet of distance to avoid impact... Coincidentally, both times the rig I was driving had underpowered brakes. (1 was an old pickup that had spongy bad brakes, and the other was a large SUV pulling a large trailer that didn't have working trailer brakes)

So, even though it may not be a HUGE difference, is an extra 10 feet worth it to you?

I think a lot depends on your financial situation, and also maybe if you regularly pull a trailer.

Before buying anything, I would make sure you do Eddies trick of actually bleeding your brakes before you make the decision that you need more..

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

DA RUNT

I skipped the brake kit and used that funding for the Currie Currectlync HD Tie Rod and the Dynatrac prosteers. There's a $100 rebate on those right now so if you are thinking about upgrading, now would be a great time. :thumb:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug

It does work. Now I never bothered to hook my VBox into the jeep and do a before and after test, but I felt it was a relatively significant difference. Call it a "seat of the pants" accelerometer....far outpacing pad replacements, SS brake lines, and a re-bleed of a perfectly fine system (mine was a 2014 JKUR with less than 8K miles on it) The effects were significant enough that most anyone felt it was very noticeable difference and would definitely help more than a bit especially at medium and higher speeds. Again, its not sports car performance, but it makes the jeep stop a lot more like a normal car. How much closer to a normal car? i never measured, but I was generally happy with the purchase....and I can't say that for many things I buy. Now many here would say that they don't trust the quality of the kit that I bought. I can't say anything about the porosity of their castings, or who was the OEM for the calipers, country of origin, etc. All I can say is that it was decent for 800ish dollars. Anyways...this is a dead horse. I'll stop beating it.

Top Bottom